  1. Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    ANy recommendations for cards??

    William Hamilton, Jun 17, 2004

  2. William Hamilton

    Mutlley Guest

    William Hamilton <> wrote:

    >Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    >Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    > ANy recommendations for cards??

    Have a look here. http://www.promise.com/smi01_eng.htm

    Promise would me my best bet..

    Mutlley, Jun 17, 2004

  3. In article <caqmbt$1b6$>,
    KSnz says...
    > Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    > Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    > ANy recommendations for cards??

    A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.

    The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
    Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
    be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
    disk this size.

    Windows NT, 2000 and XP can format this volume in NTFS. As sizes greater
    than 127GB have only become common recently, check whether the OS you're
    using can support this size of disk.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  4. William Hamilton

    MarkH Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <caqmbt$1b6$>,
    > KSnz says...
    >> Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    >> Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    >> ANy recommendations for cards??

    > A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.
    >
    > The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
    > Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
    > be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
    > disk this size.

    WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    > Windows NT, 2000 and XP can format this volume in NTFS. As sizes greater
    > than 127GB have only become common recently, check whether the OS you're
    > using can support this size of disk.

    Of course it is possible that the disk would be easier to manage in 2 or 3
    partitions anyway. But both Win2K and WinXP should have no problem with a
    200GB NTFS partition. A friend has formatted a 480GB NTFS partition with
    WinXP Pro, no problems.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jun 17, 2004
  5. William Hamilton wrote:

    > Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    > Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    > ANy recommendations for cards??

    Thanks I will check out promise cards.

    Patrick OS is Linux (Debian), 2.6 kernel, FS will be ReiserFS with LVM.

    William Hamilton, Jun 17, 2004
  6. William Hamilton

    cowboyz Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Of course it is possible that the disk would be easier to manage in 2
    > or 3 partitions anyway. But both Win2K and WinXP should have no
    > problem with a 200GB NTFS partition. A friend has formatted a 480GB
    > NTFS partition with WinXP Pro, no problems.

    480GB is insane... Of course I am going to eat that statement next year
    when you can't buy less than a 500GB drive.......

    cowboyz, Jun 17, 2004
  7. William Hamilton

    Daver Guest

    Given the price of a decent ide card you may well be most of the way to a
    new MB and CPU.

    "William Hamilton" <> wrote
    in message news:car8oj$cqj$...

    Daver, Jun 17, 2004
  8. William Hamilton

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:08:41 +1200, "Daver" <>
    wrote:

    >Given the price of a decent ide card you may well be most of the way to a
    >new MB and CPU.

    Would need new RAM too.

    GraB, Jun 17, 2004
  9. William Hamilton

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:50:18 +1200, William Hamilton
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    >Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    > ANy recommendations for cards??

    I was running a Promise Ultra100 TX2 IDE card on a Socket 7 mobo.
    Specs said it can handle hard drive over 137Gb. No problems, computer
    ran better than when running drive on mobo's own contoller.

    GraB, Jun 17, 2004
  10. In article <car754$bou$>, says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <caqmbt$1b6$>,
    > > KSnz says...
    > >> Hi all. I want to put a 200GB drive in an older machine (PII450 440BX
    > >> Intel board). I understand this is posible if I buy a decent IDE card.
    > >> ANy recommendations for cards??

    > > A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.
    > >
    > > The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
    > > Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
    > > be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
    > > disk this size.

    > WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters. It must be able to
    format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  11. William Hamilton

    MarkH Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <car754$bou$>,
    > says...
    >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > In article <caqmbt$1b6$>,
    >> > KSnz says...
    >> >
    >> > A Bios and OS upgrade may also be necessary.
    >> >
    >> > The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
    >> > Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it
    >> > cannot be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to
    >> > run FAT on a disk this size.

    >> WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    > NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters. It must be able
    > to format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    When I used NT4 it could not read FAT32 at all. AFAIK NT4 only supports
    FAT16 and NTFS.

    MarkH, Jun 17, 2004
  12. William Hamilton

    MarkH Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:carboq$g9r$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Of course it is possible that the disk would be easier to manage in 2
    >> or 3 partitions anyway. But both Win2K and WinXP should have no
    >> problem with a 200GB NTFS partition. A friend has formatted a 480GB
    >> NTFS partition with WinXP Pro, no problems.

    > 480GB is insane... Of course I am going to eat that statement next year
    > when you can't buy less than a 500GB drive.......

    It was 4 x 160GB SATA on a Promise Raid 5 SATA controller.

    MarkH, Jun 17, 2004
  13. William Hamilton

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:29:55 +1200, in article
    <>, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <car754$bou$>, says...
    > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > > > The maximum size of partition supported by Win9x is 127GB on FAT32.
    > > > Windows NT4.0 can in theory format a FAT32 volume to 256GB but it cannot
    > > > be read by Win9x. Anyway you'd have to be nuts to want to run FAT on a
    > > > disk this size.

    > > WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    > NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters.

    Interestingly, the Microsoft Knowledgebase does not agree with you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;154997

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214404

    | Windows NT 4.0 Cannot Access Windows 2000 FAT32 Partition

    | Although Windows 2000 supports the FAT32 file system, Windows NT 4.0 does not.

    Did you mean when using NT4 with an add-on file system driver like this?

    http://www.purenetworking.net/Products/FAT32forNT4/FAT32forNT4.htm

    | FAT32 for Windows NT 4.0 is a file system driver that allows
    | your Windows NT machine to access FAT32 partitions as easily
    | as it reads FAT and NTFS volumes.

    > It must be able to
    > format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    Windows 2000 and XP cannot format it. Where did you find
    the "no other version of Windows"?

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_ryhg.asp

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.

    Ralph Fox, Jun 17, 2004
  14. cowboyz wrote:
    > 480GB is insane... Of course I am going to eat that statement next year
    > when you can't buy less than a 500GB drive.......

    I dont see the 40/60/80 GB drive disappearing yet, and they've been here
    for 2 years, if not 3, so I doubt that you'll be unable to buy anything
    below 500GB...

    hell, why do people need such space?
    Im still hacking away at filling 80GB, and I have 25GB to go, two years
    since I got it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  15. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    > NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters. It must be able to
    > format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    NT4 and Fat32... you're certain?

    I know it can do Fat, but I didn't think it was able to read Fat32

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004
  16. William Hamilton

    zog Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > 480GB is insane... Of course I am going to eat that statement next year
    > > when you can't buy less than a 500GB drive.......

    > I dont see the 40/60/80 GB drive disappearing yet, and they've been here
    > for 2 years, if not 3, so I doubt that you'll be unable to buy anything
    > below 500GB...
    >
    > hell, why do people need such space?
    > Im still hacking away at filling 80GB, and I have 25GB to go, two years
    > since I got it.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall
    > http://www.dave.net.nz

    I have 25 Gb of MPs , UT 2004 - a 6CD install, Microsoft Orifice, etc. But
    this is all chicken feed. Then I had to install a 120 Gb 2nd disk when my
    80 Gb disk ran out of space. Reason, DVDs!

    zog, Jun 17, 2004
  17. In article <cas109$1t5$>, says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <car754$bou$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > >> WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    > > NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters. It must be able
    > > to format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    > When I used NT4 it could not read FAT32 at all. AFAIK NT4 only supports
    > FAT16 and NTFS.

    I've got a document here from MS that says 256GB FAT partitions are
    possible with 64KB clusters.

    64KB clusters are only supported by NT/2k/XP. I think it's possible that
    any version of these OSs that supports FAT32 could read the 256GB
    partition. 2k/XP can only format to 32GB though.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    -echo.invalid says...
    > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:29:55 +1200, in article
    > <>, Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > In article <car754$bou$>, says...
    > > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > > > WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    > > NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters.

    > Interestingly, the Microsoft Knowledgebase does not agree with you.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;154997
    >
    > | Description of the FAT32 File System
    >
    > | NOTE: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 does not support the FAT32 file system.
    >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214404
    >
    > | Windows NT 4.0 Cannot Access Windows 2000 FAT32 Partition
    >
    > | Although Windows 2000 supports the FAT32 file system, Windows NT 4.0 does not.
    >

    > Did you mean when using NT4 with an add-on file system driver like this?
    >
    > http://www.purenetworking.net/Products/FAT32forNT4/FAT32forNT4.htm
    >
    > | FAT32 for Windows NT 4.0 is a file system driver that allows
    > | your Windows NT machine to access FAT32 partitions as easily
    > | as it reads FAT and NTFS volumes.
    >

    > > It must be able to
    > > format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    > Windows 2000 and XP cannot format it. Where did you find
    > the "no other version of Windows"?

    MS states that the maximum volume size that 9x can format is 128GB with
    32K clusters. A 256GB partition is possible using 64KB clusters (which is
    only supported by NT/2k/XP). The terabyte stuff is theoretical and not
    actually supported by any version of Windows.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >>WinNT4 can format FAT32? When did they add that feature?

    > > NT4 can read a 256GB FAT32 volume, with 64K clusters. It must be able to
    > > format it, because no other version of Windows can :)

    > NT4 and Fat32... you're certain?
    >
    > I know it can do Fat, but I didn't think it was able to read Fat32

    No I'm not certain at all.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 17, 2004
  20. zog wrote:
    >>>480GB is insane... Of course I am going to eat that statement next year
    >>>when you can't buy less than a 500GB drive.......

    >>I dont see the 40/60/80 GB drive disappearing yet, and they've been here
    >>for 2 years, if not 3, so I doubt that you'll be unable to buy anything
    >>below 500GB...

    >>hell, why do people need such space?
    >>Im still hacking away at filling 80GB, and I have 25GB to go, two years
    >>since I got it.

    > I have 25 Gb of MPs , UT 2004 - a 6CD install, Microsoft Orifice, etc. But
    > this is all chicken feed. Then I had to install a 120 Gb 2nd disk when my
    > 80 Gb disk ran out of space. Reason, DVDs!

    ok then, how does one use such space and stay within NZ copyright laws?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 17, 2004