    Any tips/direction will be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Andre

    AndreZ, Jan 21, 2008

  2. Perhaps there is some confusion on the meaning of compatibility.
    32bit-software will run fine on a 64bit OS. However, as with any 64-bit
    Windows, 64-bit drivers are required so if the software relies on a driver
    it has to be a 64-bit driver. If any element of a program is 16-bit, such
    as the installer, that will not work on any 64-bit system. But there is not
    a general compatibility problem such as you might find between, say, Windows
    and Linux.

    I recommend you start with
    http://www.microsoft.com/servers/64bit/overview.mspx

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 21, 2008

  3. The rules for compatibility haven't changed from Windows Server 2003 to
    Windows Server 2008, in general. Most 32-bit applications should work fine.
    The exceptions are those 32-bit applications that require a system level
    driver and don't have a signed, 64-bit driver available. And those 32-bit
    applications that have a 16-bit installer. There is NO support for 16-bit
    applications in any 64-bit MS operating system.

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/x64benefits.mspx
    for some useful background on 64-bit from a Server perspective.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 21, 2008
  4. It is worth nothing that there is usually a different triage bar for
    appcompat problems between the Server and non-Server versions of Windows, so
    some software might not work on Windows Server 2008 x64 but will work on
    Windows Vista x64 for example. In general though, the codebases are all very
    similiar these days.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Jan 22, 2008
  5. That's a good point, and is true of hardware as well. I've got several old
    Intel NICs that simply will NOT work in Server 2k3 x64. Work fine in XP x64,
    which is the same code base. Too bad, they're all dual port Server grade
    NICs, if only 10/100.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 22, 2008
  6. AndreZ

    AndreZ Guest

    Thank you

    Colin, Charlie and Chuck, you've all been very helpful! :)

    AndreZ, Jan 22, 2008