  1. Brian Z

    Brian Z Guest

    I think the 2008 (MCSE) type certs are very confusing. I really don't think they have any credibility. Employers barely understood the MCSE, now they are going nuts with all the initials. I for one am not going to spend hundreds to keep my certs up to date, expecially when no one understands what they are, or what they mean.
    Brian Z, Feb 14, 2008

  2. Brian Z

    Chris Lobban Guest

    Brian Z wrote:
    > I think the 2008 (MCSE) type certs are very confusing. I really don't
    > think they have any credibility. Employers barely understood the MCSE,
    > now they are going nuts with all the initials. I for one am not going to
    > spend hundreds to keep my certs up to date, expecially when no one
    > understands what they are, or what they mean.

    I thought the point was that they're moving away from the initials.
    Even ignoring initials,
    MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. What does that mean? Do I
    know what you can do based on that? Not really... I'm looking for
    somebody to setup my network, can you do that? Maybe... or I might think
    you're just an electrical engineer, and that's not what I need. Compare
    that to:

    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration

    Now if you've got the words "Network Infrastructure Configuration" on
    your resume, I'm pretty sure you can setup that network for me, because
    that's pretty clear meaning.

    I'm not worried about the credibility or legibility of the new
    creditials at this point... I'm just worried about how I'm going to fit
    it all onto my resume or email signature... ;-)

    Chris
    Chris Lobban, Feb 14, 2008

  3. "Brian Z" <> wrote in message

    > I think the 2008 (MCSE) type certs are very confusing. I really don't think they have any credibility. Employers barely understood the MCSE, now they are going nuts with all the initials. I for one am not going to spend hundreds to keep my certs up to date, expecially when no one understands what they are, or what they mean.

    Now I'm confused too because there is no MCSE 2008. The reason the MCSE
    confused employers was because 1.) they did not know what an MCSE was
    and 2.) the MCSE could not do the job that was asked of them because
    they were normally paper certified. The MSCE was a broad certification.
    The next generation credentials specifically tell a another what your
    specialized in. What's not to understand?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, "MCITP: Enterprise", "MCTS: Vista Configuration",
    MCSA, MCDST
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 14, 2008