    share loss in 2008"

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...to_Announce_Cost_Cutting_Plans_Next_Week.html
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/08/amd-barcelona-right-royal-mess
    Mickey Mouse, Dec 9, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    Bobs Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > "It now appears to us AMD may not have a competitive alternative to
    > Intel's barrage of 45-nm CPUs through 2008. [.] AMD's 65 nm process
    > and/or architecture continues to generate poor yields limiting the
    > introduction of higher performer server, desktop and notebook CPUs.
    > AMD's lack of execution in the process node transition could potentially
    > lead to significant market share loss in 2008"
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...to_Announce_Cost_Cutting_Plans_Next_Week.html
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/08/amd-barcelona-right-royal-mess

    My last three CPU's have been AMD (1800xp, 2800xp, and 3800xp dual core)
    but when I upgrade (probably in about a year) I'll be going for a quad
    core intel cpu. You'll be mad not to.
    Bobs, Dec 9, 2007

  3. On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:39:32 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > My last three CPU's have been AMD (1800xp, 2800xp, and 3800xp dual core)
    > but when I upgrade (probably in about a year) I'll be going for a quad
    > core intel cpu. You'll be mad not to.

    What do you intend to do with all the processing power that a
    dual-dual-core CPU will provide you?

    Do you think that the increased operating cost (i.e., the increased
    electricity consumption) will be worth it, given what you would use it for?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Dec 9, 2007
  4. Mickey Mouse

    thingy Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:39:32 +1300, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> My last three CPU's have been AMD (1800xp, 2800xp, and 3800xp dual core)
    >> but when I upgrade (probably in about a year) I'll be going for a quad
    >> core intel cpu. You'll be mad not to.

    > What do you intend to do with all the processing power that a
    > dual-dual-core CPU will provide you?
    >
    > Do you think that the increased operating cost (i.e., the increased
    > electricity consumption) will be worth it, given what you would use it for?

    A better gaming experience for one.....CPUs are not increasing in MHz,
    so games are going to have to SMP to get anywhere....SCommander did this
    in its initial release and from what I can read its update is even more
    SMP capable....so a quad core probably makes sense over a dual core if
    the application(s) demands it...

    As an aside depending on the efficiency of the idle mode, finishing an
    application sooner and putting the CPU into idle is faster and saves
    energy over the run time....so the peak energy consumption "might" be
    worse but it could well use less power overall, and that is the
    important thing....

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Dec 9, 2007
  5. Mickey Mouse

    Puddle Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:39:32 +1300, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> My last three CPU's have been AMD (1800xp, 2800xp, and 3800xp dual core)
    >> but when I upgrade (probably in about a year) I'll be going for a quad
    >> core intel cpu. You'll be mad not to.

    > What do you intend to do with all the processing power that a
    > dual-dual-core CPU will provide you?
    >
    > Do you think that the increased operating cost (i.e., the increased
    > electricity consumption) will be worth it, given what you would use it for?

    Electricity consumption... this was from tomshardware for the new 45mm
    for the quad cores

    4 cores 3.79 watts idle at 4ghz 12 megs cache and the new sse4
    instruction set

    79 watts total when all cores are running at 100%

    That is lower than a lot of single cores out there right now..
    Puddle, Dec 9, 2007
  6. Mickey Mouse

    thingy Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:
    > "It now appears to us AMD may not have a competitive alternative to
    > Intel's barrage of 45-nm CPUs through 2008. [.] AMD's 65 nm process
    > and/or architecture continues to generate poor yields limiting the
    > introduction of higher performer server, desktop and notebook CPUs.
    > AMD's lack of execution in the process node transition could potentially
    > lead to significant market share loss in 2008"
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...to_Announce_Cost_Cutting_Plans_Next_Week.html
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/08/amd-barcelona-right-royal-mess

    yes....does not look good....

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/07/subsidies_for_jobs/

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 9, 2007
  7. Mickey Mouse

    Nighthawk Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Mickey Mouse wrote:
    >> "It now appears to us AMD may not have a competitive alternative to
    >> Intel's barrage of 45-nm CPUs through 2008. [.] AMD's 65 nm process
    >> and/or architecture continues to generate poor yields limiting the
    >> introduction of higher performer server, desktop and notebook CPUs.
    >> AMD's lack of execution in the process node transition could potentially
    >> lead to significant market share loss in 2008"
    >>
    >> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...to_Announce_Cost_Cutting_Plans_Next_Week.html
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/08/amd-barcelona-right-royal-mess
    >>

    >My last three CPU's have been AMD (1800xp, 2800xp, and 3800xp dual core)
    >but when I upgrade (probably in about a year) I'll be going for a quad
    >core intel cpu. You'll be mad not to.

    Don't forget to buy a new motherboard and RAM to go with it.
    Nighthawk, Dec 10, 2007
  8. Mickey Mouse

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message

    >>My last three CPU's have been AMD (1800xp, 2800xp, and 3800xp dual core)
    >>but when I upgrade (probably in about a year) I'll be going for a quad
    >>core intel cpu. You'll be mad not to.

    > Don't forget to buy a new motherboard and RAM to go with it.

    You'd probably want to anyway even if retaining an AMD CPU, to take
    advantage of improved bus speeds and higher clocked RAM (or DDR3). After
    all, the CPU is just one element contributing to the overall system
    performance.
    Mickey Mouse, Dec 10, 2007
  9. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > As an aside depending on the efficiency of the idle mode, finishing an
    > application sooner and putting the CPU into idle is faster and saves
    > energy over the run time....

    So, do you expect your newer, faster machine to be spending more of its time
    idle?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 10, 2007