2008: A Pay for Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Just Visiting, Jan 7, 2008.

  1. Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
    in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
    will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
    the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that
    I invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and
    see who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD
    DVD-RAM, too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.
    Just Visiting, Jan 7, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Just Visiting

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:43:19 +0000, Just Visiting wrote:

    > Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
    > in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
    > will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
    > the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that I
    > invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and see
    > who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD DVD-RAM,
    > too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.


    The format war is a long way from over when there's only 5% market
    saturation now. I wouldn't call it over til there's at least 20%
    saturation. The winner could end up being HD-VMD. It's a lot cheaper than
    both of the others, both in unit cost and it disc cost. How about a $299
    HD-VMD player/recorder with 100 GB storage and $2 blank disc? And from a
    US company? Or just a HD-VMD player for $179. Might make an impact if they
    don't wait too long to release it here and bring manufacturing up to speed.

    So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.

    http://www.nmeinc.com/

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:26:33 GMT, Wes Newell
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:43:19 +0000, Just Visiting wrote:
    >
    >> Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
    >> in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
    >> will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
    >> the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that I
    >> invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and see
    >> who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD DVD-RAM,
    >> too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

    >
    >The format war is a long way from over when there's only 5% market
    >saturation now. I wouldn't call it over til there's at least 20%
    >saturation. The winner could end up being HD-VMD. It's a lot cheaper than
    >both of the others, both in unit cost and it disc cost. How about a $299
    >HD-VMD player/recorder with 100 GB storage and $2 blank disc? And from a
    >US company? Or just a HD-VMD player for $179. Might make an impact if they
    >don't wait too long to release it here and bring manufacturing up to speed.
    >
    >So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.
    >
    >http://www.nmeinc.com/


    Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
    the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
    support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
    reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
    Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
    important to me.
    Just Visiting, Jan 8, 2008
    #3
  4. Just Visiting

    willbill Guest

    Just Visiting wrote:


    >> So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.
    >>
    >> http://www.nmeinc.com/



    > Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
    > the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
    > support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
    > reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
    > Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
    > important to me.



    if Warner and the others quit making
    all those tapes and DVDs of movies,
    that will help end the war


    bill
    willbill, Jan 8, 2008
    #4
  5. Just Visiting

    just bob Guest

    "willbill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just Visiting wrote:
    >
    >
    >>> So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nmeinc.com/

    >
    >
    >> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
    >> the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
    >> support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
    >> reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
    >> Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
    >> important to me.

    >
    >
    > if Warner and the others quit making
    > all those tapes and DVDs of movies,
    > that will help end the war


    Agreed. The content makers will decide the format. BD had another victory
    with WB but we have yet to see the flood gates open wide.
    just bob, Jan 8, 2008
    #5
  6. Just Visiting

    willbill Guest

    just bob wrote:
    > "willbill" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Just Visiting wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>> So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.nmeinc.com/

    >>
    >>> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
    >>> the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
    >>> support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
    >>> reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
    >>> Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
    >>> important to me.

    >>
    >> if Warner and the others quit making
    >> all those tapes and DVDs of movies,
    >> that will help end the war

    >
    > Agreed. The content makers will decide the format. BD had another victory
    > with WB but we have yet to see the flood gates open wide.



    the "flood gates" will open wide when
    the price comes down

    Toshiba was already doing that (lower price)
    with HD-DVD, and their players aren't as
    clunky as the BD players

    and they aren't as cluttered with
    copy protection as the BD players are

    odds are that it (lower price) won't happen
    soon with BD, despite the Warner move with
    ditching HD-DVD

    bill
    willbill, Jan 8, 2008
    #6
  7. Just Visiting

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:02:15 -0500, Just Visiting wrote:


    >>http://www.nmeinc.com/

    >
    > Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will the
    > company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of support can
    > they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How reliable is
    > their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when Blu-Ray offers
    > me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is important to me.


    Why do you think I provided a link to their website? Go read it. It
    answers all your questions.


    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    Wes Newell, Jan 8, 2008
    #7
  8. Just Visiting

    Ch19 Guest

    HD-VMD is over, its too late for another to jump in they will sink . If it
    was a few years ago maby but not now.


    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    news:1dGgj.3398$hS.3074@trnddc08...
    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:02:15 -0500, Just Visiting wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>http://www.nmeinc.com/

    >>
    >> Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will the
    >> company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of support can
    >> they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How reliable is
    >> their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when Blu-Ray offers
    >> me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is important to me.

    >
    > Why do you think I provided a link to their website? Go read it. It
    > answers all your questions.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    > Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    > AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    Ch19, Jan 8, 2008
    #8
  9. Just Visiting

    ninphan Guest

    On Jan 7, 8:02 pm, Just Visiting <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:26:33 GMT, Wes Newell
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:43:19 +0000, Just Visiting wrote:

    >
    > >> Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
    > >> in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
    > >> will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
    > >> the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that I
    > >> invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and see
    > >> who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD DVD-RAM,
    > >> too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

    >
    > >The format war is a long way from over when there's only 5% market
    > >saturation now. I wouldn't call it over til there's at least 20%
    > >saturation. The winner could end up being HD-VMD. It's a lot cheaper than
    > >both of the others, both in unit cost and it disc cost. How about a $299
    > >HD-VMD player/recorder with 100 GB storage and $2 blank disc? And from a
    > >US company? Or just a HD-VMD player for $179. Might make an impact if they
    > >don't wait too long to release it here and bring manufacturing up to speed.

    >
    > >So AFAIC, the war is far from over. I'll wait to at least see this.

    >
    > >http://www.nmeinc.com/

    >
    > Well, it sounds good but I would have a few questions: How long will
    > the company be around? Who will help back them up? What kind of
    > support can they provide? How high quality is their blank media? How
    > reliable is their equipment? I'm definitely not sold on HD-DVD when
    > Blu-Ray offers me more advantages. Even the weight of the disc is
    > important to me.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Anyone who tells you there is any optical disc format that will now
    beat Blu-ray is kidding themselves.
    Blu-ray is supported by companies globally, including China.
    As for HD DVD-RAM, Panasonic only make Blu-ray and DVD, so you won't
    see HD DVD-RAM from them. They do already make BD25-R and BD50-R discs
    though, up to 4x burning. They also have a Blu-ray burner, as do
    several others including Philips, Sony, Pioneer, Plextor, Lite-On, LG
    and others.
    ninphan, Jan 8, 2008
    #9
  10. Just Visiting

    Guest

    On Jan 6, 10:43 pm, Just Visiting <>
    wrote:
    > Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
    > in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
    > will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
    > the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that
    > I invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and
    > see who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD
    > DVD-RAM, too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.


    While I have nothing against VMD I certainly have not seen any titles
    in the stores.

    Too little, too late.

    Let's just kill off HD_DVD as quickly and painlessly as possible and
    move on.

    Blu-ray forever (well the next 10 years anyway).
    , Jan 12, 2008
    #10
  11. Just Visiting

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:50:34 -0800, alan.browne wrote:


    > While I have nothing against VMD I certainly have not seen any titles in
    > the stores.
    >

    You will. or you can order off the net. There's 100's of titles available,
    with a lot more coming.

    > Too little, too late.
    >

    Definitely not too little. Late, but not too late.

    > Let's just kill off HD_DVD as quickly and painlessly as possible and
    > move on.
    >
    > Blu-ray forever (well the next 10 years anyway).


    Guess you haven't seen the CES reort from the Blu-Ray people.

    Turns out all the current blu-ray machines made so far will not be
    compatible with the 2.0 profile. And the only reason the earlier one was
    released was because HD-DVD was coming out. They admit it was released at
    least a year too early. Yep, go out and buy one right now. Then you can
    buy another one in a few months since the older machines are not
    upgradable. BDA also said the manufacturers knew this from the beginning.
    Screw me once your fault, srew me twice.... go for it:)

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    Wes Newell, Jan 12, 2008
    #11
  12. Just Visiting

    Mutley Guest

    wrote:

    >On Jan 6, 10:43 pm, Just Visiting <>
    >wrote:
    >> Well, that does it for me. I'm sold on Blu-Ray! The format war is over
    >> in my book. Sony wins this one. Even if Blu-Ray goes triple layer, it
    >> will still beat the competition. It holds more data on two layers and
    >> the software I own already supports it. So, this will be the year that
    >> I invest in a Blu-Ray burner. Now, I'll need to watch the reviews and
    >> see who releases a better-built unit. I'll still be looking for HD
    >> DVD-RAM, too. Where's Panasonic on this one? Geez.

    >
    >While I have nothing against VMD I certainly have not seen any titles
    >in the stores.
    >
    >Too little, too late.
    >
    >Let's just kill off HD_DVD as quickly and painlessly as possible and
    >move on.
    >
    >Blu-ray forever (well the next 10 years anyway).



    Not until I can get a region free player..
    Mutley, Jan 12, 2008
    #12
  13. Is the Playstation Blu Ray system upgradable via software/download to the
    newer profiles?


    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    news:0Jaij.2295$Zo3.1089@trnddc02...
    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:50:34 -0800, alan.browne wrote:
    >
    >
    >> While I have nothing against VMD I certainly have not seen any titles in
    >> the stores.
    >>

    > You will. or you can order off the net. There's 100's of titles available,
    > with a lot more coming.
    >
    >> Too little, too late.
    >>

    > Definitely not too little. Late, but not too late.
    >
    >> Let's just kill off HD_DVD as quickly and painlessly as possible and
    >> move on.
    >>
    >> Blu-ray forever (well the next 10 years anyway).

    >
    > Guess you haven't seen the CES reort from the Blu-Ray people.
    >
    > Turns out all the current blu-ray machines made so far will not be
    > compatible with the 2.0 profile. And the only reason the earlier one was
    > released was because HD-DVD was coming out. They admit it was released at
    > least a year too early. Yep, go out and buy one right now. Then you can
    > buy another one in a few months since the older machines are not
    > upgradable. BDA also said the manufacturers knew this from the beginning.
    > Screw me once your fault, srew me twice.... go for it:)
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    > Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    > AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    in Technicolor®, Jan 13, 2008
    #13
  14. In article <12dij.2010$Ue3.1985@trnddc07>,
    in Technicolor® <> wrote:

    > Is the Playstation Blu Ray system upgradable via software/download to the
    > newer profiles?
    >

    Yes. Sony has said they will update it to Profile 2.0 and have already
    updated it to Profile 1.1

    Most of us are now waiting for DTS HD-MA audio codec support.
    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 13, 2008
    #14
  15. Just Visiting

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:36:13 +0000, in Technicolor® wrote:

    > Is the Playstation Blu Ray system upgradable via software/download to
    > the newer profiles?


    Yes, it will be. it's the only one that will be. Don't know what it will
    cost. None of standalone players will be. This is according to the BDA.

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    Wes Newell, Jan 13, 2008
    #15
  16. Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:36:13 +0000, in Technicolor® wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Is the Playstation Blu Ray system upgradable via software/download to
    >>the newer profiles?

    >
    >
    > Yes, it will be. it's the only one that will be. Don't know what it will
    > cost. None of standalone players will be. This is according to the BDA.


    Um, what's with the future tense?
    PS already upgraded to 1.1 last month (Update 2.10), and Sony's
    mentioned 2.0 for spring.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jan 13, 2008
    #16
  17. Just Visiting

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:46:29 +0000, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:36:13 +0000, in Technicolor® wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is the Playstation Blu Ray system upgradable via software/download to
    >>>the newer profiles?

    >>
    >> Yes, it will be. it's the only one that will be. Don't know what it
    >> will cost. None of standalone players will be. This is according to the
    >> BDA.

    >
    > Um, what's with the future tense?


    Because the discussion was about 2.0, which hasn't been released yet.

    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
    Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    Wes Newell, Jan 13, 2008
    #17
  18. In article <Xfkij.1737$UX2.949@trnddc08>,
    Wes Newell <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:36:13 +0000, in Technicolor® wrote:
    >
    > > Is the Playstation Blu Ray system upgradable via software/download to
    > > the newer profiles?

    >
    > Yes, it will be. it's the only one that will be. Don't know what it will
    > cost. None of standalone players will be. This is according to the BDA.


    I expect the cost to be exactly what it cost to add TrueHD and Profile
    1.1. Exactly $0!
    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 13, 2008
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    589
    JoeBloe
    Nov 10, 2006
  2. ninphan
    Replies:
    33
    Views:
    911
    ninphan
    Feb 26, 2008
  3. Neil
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,315
    Gabriel Méndez
    Apr 29, 2008
  4. Blig Merk
    Replies:
    66
    Views:
    1,835
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
    Apr 27, 2008
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    875
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page