    open the Active Directory admin tools it said it couldn't access the domain
    as it was offline. Surely after replication this machine should BE the
    domain? Why is it still looking for the old server? TIA.
    Guest, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Guest

    unspeakable Guest

    go to google.com and try looking for something called DCPROMO... Might be a
    good place to start....

    unspeakable, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    Kurt Guest

    Simply adding a server to the domain does not make it a domain controller.
    You will need to go through several steps, including a forestprep/domainprep
    on the Windows 2000 DC to ready it for a Server 2003 domain controller. Then
    you will have to DCPROMO the 2003 server to a DC. If you intend to remove
    the 2000 DC, you will need to transfer the 5 FSMO roles and be sure the new
    DC is a global catalog server.

    ...kurt

    Kurt, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks. I did the adprep and dcpromo bits. Excuse my ignorance but what's an
    FMSO role and how do I transfer it? And how do I make my new DC a global
    catalog server? Thanks again.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006
  5. Guest

    LRM Guest