    keep the user profiles from the existing domain users (all two of them!) Is
    there any way to do this, or will I need to copy files between old domain
    profiles and new domain profiles manually?
    Hank, Nov 13, 2005

  2. Hank wrote:

    > So the computer that was my Windows 2003 Domain Controller fragged its
    > HDD.

    Well, then defrag it. Or are you meaning something more serious?

    > Of course, I have only one, and I have no backup. Fortunately, I am not
    > in a critical environment, so I can rebuild the DC with a new name, and
    > deal
    > with the fallout. I was hoping to minimize the effects by being able to
    > keep the user profiles from the existing domain users (all two of them!)
    > Is there any way to do this, or will I need to copy files between old
    > domain profiles and new domain profiles manually?

    What will your domain users call you after losing all their profiles,
    favorites and maybe redirected folders?
    You should not
    - build a domain controller without a raid (even software raid, which each
    2k/2k3 server can do, will be better then nothing) or regular backups, as
    it's harddrives are much more under stress then a workplace pcs drives will
    be.
    - complain about a "fragged" harddrive without explaining what you really
    mean, in a international newsgroup where most people don't understand the
    dialect you use, especially when it's ambigious
    - and then, finally, rant about your own stupidity.

    Have a nice weekend shift *eg* then!
    Walter Mautner, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Hank

    Hank Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Hank wrote:
    >
    >> So the computer that was my Windows 2003 Domain Controller fragged its
    >> HDD.

    > Well, then defrag it. Or are you meaning something more serious?

    Much. The drive was reformatted, and it contained the NTDS logs.

    >> Of course, I have only one, and I have no backup. Fortunately, I am not
    >> in a critical environment, so I can rebuild the DC with a new name, and
    >> deal
    >> with the fallout. I was hoping to minimize the effects by being able to
    >> keep the user profiles from the existing domain users (all two of them!)
    >> Is there any way to do this, or will I need to copy files between old
    >> domain profiles and new domain profiles manually?

    > What will your domain users call you after losing all their profiles,
    > favorites and maybe redirected folders?

    They'll be unhappy, but one will call me 'Brother' and the other 'Husband'

    > You should not
    > - build a domain controller without a raid (even software raid, which each
    > 2k/2k3 server can do, will be better then nothing) or regular backups, as
    > it's harddrives are much more under stress then a workplace pcs drives
    > will
    > be.

    RAID is how this all started. When it was a 2000 server, I had an Adaptec
    IDE RAID card in it. Unfortunately, the card is not compatible with 2003.
    I discovered the problem (too late), built a new DC, transferred roles,
    rebuilt, and transferred back. Once all that was done, I put my second DC
    back in the closet (the machine is an old desktop that just meets the
    minimums for 2003) I then went to set up the software RAID on the repaired
    system, but I didn't double-check my configuration before I converted the
    drive to mirror.

    > - complain about a "fragged" harddrive without explaining what you really
    > mean, in a international newsgroup where most people don't understand the
    > dialect you use, especially when it's ambigious

    A good point.

    > - and then, finally, rant about your own stupidity.

    Try as I might, I have not be able to do anything about this. At my primary
    job, I wouldn't dare let someone do what I did here. And I'm the party
    responsible for the backups. I should have known better.

    Hank, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Hank

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Walter Mautner spewed forth:
    > Hank wrote:
    >
    >> So the computer that was my Windows 2003 Domain Controller fragged
    >> its HDD.

    > Well, then defrag it. Or are you meaning something more serious?
    >
    >> Of course, I have only one, and I have no backup. Fortunately, I am
    >> not in a critical environment, so I can rebuild the DC with a new
    >> name, and deal
    >> with the fallout. I was hoping to minimize the effects by being
    >> able to keep the user profiles from the existing domain users (all
    >> two of them!) Is there any way to do this, or will I need to copy
    >> files between old domain profiles and new domain profiles manually?

    > What will your domain users call you after losing all their profiles,
    > favorites and maybe redirected folders?
    > You should not
    > - build a domain controller without a raid (even software raid, which
    > each 2k/2k3 server can do, will be better then nothing) or regular
    > backups, as it's harddrives are much more under stress then a
    > workplace pcs drives will be.

    Way correct. Even in our remote office with only three users, the server has
    RAID 5 and tape backup. Now, OTOH, the box with Terminal Server on it, since
    there's no data, isn't quite as well built, but if it dies, nothing is lost
    but a little setup time.

    > - complain about a "fragged" harddrive without explaining what you
    > really mean, in a international newsgroup where most people don't
    > understand the dialect you use, especially when it's ambigious
    > - and then, finally, rant about your own stupidity.
    >
    > Have a nice weekend shift *eg* then!

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 13, 2005