    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks very much.

    --Winny

    Winny, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Winny

    Winny Guest

    Sorry, I meant I am waiting for the arrival of the 70 - 300mm lens, not
    30 - 700!

    --Winny

    Winny, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Winny

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Winny" <> wrote in message
    Hello all,

    I have recently bought a 350D with 17 - 85 IS lens. I also ordered the
    70 - 700 IS lens but it won't come for another 2 to 4 weeks.
    Unfortunately I need the lens before then, so I am looking to hire or
    borrow a similar lens, whther IS or not, for 2.5 weeks.

    My local shops in Manchester, UK, only have the L series lenses and it
    would cost me at least £200 to hire one, and I have not found anywhere
    which rents out non-L cheaper lenses.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Cancel the 70-300mm and buy a 70 - 200mm f4L. If you need it now pay £480 or
    so in Jessops. Otherwise go to 123fStop on eBay and get it for much less.

    If you really have to have 300mm then buy a 1.4x converter (L again).

    John

    Eatmorepies, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Winny

    Winny Guest

    Thanks for the advice John. Still not sure which way to go, but I have
    narrowed it down to either following your suggestion or just buying the
    Sigma 70 - 300 APO Macro with a view to selling it on soon after and
    then getting the Canon 70 - 300 IS. I'm a decent holiday snapper rather
    than a serious hobbiest, and I think the 70-300 IS is really the lens
    for me.

    Cheers,

    --Winny

    Winny, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Winny

    Nick Fotis Guest

    I vote for the Canon 70-200/4L myself.
    This lens will be MUCH more satisfying for you in the long run, and if you
    need the extra reach, the 1.4x Canon teleconverter will make it a 105-280
    lens.
    The money you "save" from the Sigma will be spent when you decide to repair
    because the barrel will decide to get loose or something like that, after
    2-3 years of use (I was owner of the previous Sigma version, 70-300 APO
    Macro Super, and the difference with "L" glass is incredible!).

    The build quality of the Canon is excellent, and it will stay with you for a
    LONG time, even if you decide to change your camera body for a better one
    (heck, a friend shoot with the 1Ds and the 70-200/4 and he's satisfied with
    the image and build quality, plus the weight isn't bad).

    If you want 400mm, look at the Canon 400mm/5.6L, which is a very capable
    lens as well.

    N.F.
    (owner of the 70-200/2.8L IS, so I know what can "L" glass do ;-) )

    Nick Fotis, Aug 12, 2006
  6. Winny

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Nick Fotis <> wrote:
    >I vote for the Canon 70-200/4L myself.
    >This lens will be MUCH more satisfying for you in the long run, and if you
    >need the extra reach, the 1.4x Canon teleconverter will make it a 105-280
    >lens.
    >The money you "save" from the Sigma will be spent when you decide to repair
    >because the barrel will decide to get loose or something like that, after
    >2-3 years of use (I was owner of the previous Sigma version, 70-300 APO
    >Macro Super, and the difference with "L" glass is incredible!).

    >The build quality of the Canon is excellent, and it will stay with you for a
    >LONG time, even if you decide to change your camera body for a better one
    >(heck, a friend shoot with the 1Ds and the 70-200/4 and he's satisfied with
    >the image and build quality, plus the weight isn't bad).

    >If you want 400mm, look at the Canon 400mm/5.6L, which is a very capable
    >lens as well.

    >N.F.
    >(owner of the 70-200/2.8L IS, so I know what can "L" glass do ;-) )

    I'll second that. I got my 70-200/2.8L IS this summer and
    I *love* what it can do. I've done birds and the like by
    putting the lens at 70mm and when I spot my target and am
    tracking it, I go to 200mm and shoot. Took me a bit of
    practice but it seems to work well.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Aug 13, 2006