20 Years of Microsoft Windows

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. PC Magazine has done a feature
    <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1868435,00.asp> to commemorate the
    upcoming 20th anniversary of Microsoft Windows. Has some interesting
    quotes.

    Ray Ozzie on the tribulations of 16-bit APIs:

    "Of the five years of development time that it took to develop Notes,
    about a third of it was spent on memory management," Ozzie recalls.
    "It was just staggering, and it wasn't the app, it was just fitting
    it in memory."

    A very perceptive comment from Bill Gates, which I think could be applied to
    other contexts:

    The funny thing about controversy in the computer industry is there's
    a period when things are controversial, and then a period when they are
    obvious. You never get your moment where people say "Oh you were right."
    It went from "Windows is a joke, who needs it, it's slow" to "Well, of
    course we're using Windows, are you kidding me, let's move on to the

    Jim Cannavino's opinion:

    [Windows is] a very successful piece of software, a very successful
    venture. But a mainframe boots up faster than a laptop, and that's kind
    of silly. Plus, the architecture really doesn't lend itself to
    high-level security. Basically, you've got smart guys plugging holes.
    Though they do a really good job of it, they can never tell when they're
    finished. If you restructured the architecture of the system and really
    put some boundaries up that were hard to get by, then there's no reason
    that your e-mail system should be able to corrupt your file system.

    Charles Simonyi claiming that a PC running Windows is easier to use than
    most household appliances (would you agree?):

    "Ninety percent of consumer electronics devices are complete garbage in
    terms of usability. Then you sit down at a personal computer, which
    offers a functionality way beyond the VCR or the stereo or the alarm
    clock, and it's incredibly easy to use. It takes its interface
    seriously. It makes a simple state of being available to the user and
    offers uniform methods for changing that state."

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:42:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > A very perceptive comment from Bill Gates, which I think could be applied to
    > other contexts:
    >
    > The funny thing about controversy in the computer industry is there's
    > a period when things are controversial, and then a period when they are
    > obvious. You never get your moment where people say "Oh you were right."
    > It went from "Windows is a joke, who needs it, it's slow" to "Well, of
    > course we're using Windows, are you kidding me, let's move on to the

    When did he say this?

    Gordon, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    El Penguino Guest

    Wonder how many times I have rebooted in 20 years :)

    El Penguino, Oct 17, 2005