20" LCD Monitors.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by zipdisk@clearxxxx.net.nz, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. thingy Guest

    wrote:

    > Have a read
    >

    > http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/

    Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
    to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
    left for a new graphics card..no contest really....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 29, 2006

  3. Hi there,

    thingy wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Have a read
    >>

    >> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
    >>

    > Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
    > to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
    > left for a new graphics card..no contest really....

    Don't forget that according to Woger CRT's are complete junk (tm)

    My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
    AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
    that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...

    Woger never answered me on that. Who knows? Maybe he sells LCD's
    for a living...he'll never convince me they're a better option
    until they actually do become a better option...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 30, 2006
  4. GraB Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:15:17 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >thingy wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Have a read
    >>>

    >>> http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/
    >>>

    >> Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
    >> to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
    >> left for a new graphics card..no contest really....

    >Don't forget that according to Woger CRT's are complete junk (tm)

    That thought did occur to me.

    >My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
    >AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
    >that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...
    >
    >Woger never answered me on that. Who knows? Maybe he sells LCD's
    >for a living...he'll never convince me they're a better option
    >until they actually do become a better option...

    A 22" CRT! Envious. But getting back to LCDs I don't know exactly
    what they mean when they talk about 'sparkling' when watching DVDs.

    Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
    wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
    a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.
    http://whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/512519.html

    It seems you have to make sure you get a later revision.

    http://simon.fearby.com/temp/ocau/reviews/2407_Test.jpg
    GraB, Jun 30, 2006
  5. GraB Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:10:19 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:15:17 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>thingy wrote:

    >>> Nice but currently 100~120% on top of the cost of a 19inch monitor, hard
    >>> to justify....$1050 on a 20 inch monitor or $450 for a 19, with $600
    >>> left for a new graphics card..no contest really....

    >>Don't forget that according to Woger CRT's are complete junk (tm)

    >That thought did occur to me.
    >
    >>My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
    >>AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
    >>that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...
    >>
    >>Woger never answered me on that. Who knows? Maybe he sells LCD's
    >>for a living...he'll never convince me they're a better option
    >>until they actually do become a better option...

    >A 22" CRT! Envious. But getting back to LCDs I don't know exactly
    >what they mean when they talk about 'sparkling' when watching DVDs.
    >
    >Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
    >wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
    >a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.
    >http://whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/512519.html
    >
    >It seems you have to make sure you get a later revision.
    >
    >http://simon.fearby.com/temp/ocau/reviews/2407_Test.jpg

    A review of a later one:
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=481694
    GraB, Jun 30, 2006
  6. gimp Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
    > wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
    > a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.

    i have the dell 2007FP (20") at work and its sweet. at home i have the
    2405FPW and it kicks serious arse. i would recommend dell, they all
    have a 30 day moneyback guarantee if you don't like it.
    gimp, Jun 30, 2006
  7. Robert Cooze Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > GraB wrote:
    > > Like you I won't be getting one until they are actually better. But I
    >> wonder about the Dell 2407WFP widescreen as June's PC User mag gave it
    >> a glowing review but users don't seem so convinced.

    > i have the dell 2007FP (20") at work and its sweet. at home i have the
    > 2405FPW and it kicks serious arse. i would recommend dell, they all
    > have a 30 day moneyback guarantee if you don't like it.

    LOL normally I would not buy dell but in the arena of LCD they seem to
    know what they are doing. They have been compared with the apple
    cinimorph (forgive the spelling).

    Now looking at the products in the stores I have seen the same LCD look
    wonderful and crap this was a 17" one I guess a lots depends on what
    it is connected to and how well set up it is. On a interesting note I
    saw a 17" wide screen for around 400~500 $$$ that out preformed a near
    $1000 name brand screen... I am holding my breath as I am on my last
    good screen (CRT 15") the 17" and 19" bit the dust.

    Robert Cooze, Jun 30, 2006
  8. Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:56:48 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >GraB wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:15:17 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi there,

    >I saw that same Dell on a Dell stand at a local Brisbane mall
    >a short while back. Nice looking kit really, but I wasn't that
    >impressed with movie playback...it was just too slow...

    Please define to slow...??
    , Jul 1, 2006
  9. Hi there,

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:56:48 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>GraB wrote:

    >>I saw that same Dell on a Dell stand at a local Brisbane mall
    >>a short while back. Nice looking kit really, but I wasn't that
    >>impressed with movie playback...it was just too slow...

    > Please define to slow...??

    Response time. Rapid movements in video showed evident ghosting
    and blurry appearance.

    Not something I experience with even budget CRT monitors...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 2, 2006
  10. Hi there,

    MarkH wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >

    >>My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
    >>AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
    >>that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...

    > For NZ$3000 you can get a 30" LCD with 2560x1600(widescreen), what LCD
    > costs US$5000?

    Is that the Dell 3007WFP? Does 11ms (or 14ms?) response time cut it?
    My eyes say they're getting better, but CRT still wins...

    I found this site tonite that has some interesting prices...

    http://www.streetprices.com/Electronics/Computer_Hardware_PC/Monitors/LCD/

    That has a range of sizes to see. Prices start pretty low, but most of
    the cheapies don't do the resolutions I'd demand of their panel size.
    Try find a 21" that does 2048x1536 without spending upwards of US$4400.

    As much as I like the small footprint, style, and ease of carriage of
    these LCD panels I would like the resolution and quality to improve
    and become significantly cheaper before I'd consider getting one.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 2, 2006
  11. MarkH Guest

    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in

    > Hi there,
    >
    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>My 22" NEC Multisync is around AU$1500 new (although I only payed
    >>>AU$169 for my near new one!), but the closest LCD I could find to
    >>>that size and resolution (2048x1536) was around US$5000...

    >> For NZ$3000 you can get a 30" LCD with 2560x1600(widescreen), what
    >> LCD costs US$5000?

    > Is that the Dell 3007WFP? Does 11ms (or 14ms?) response time cut it?
    > My eyes say they're getting better, but CRT still wins...

    It's a case of horses for courses. There are many users that would not
    even notice the 11ms delay (I have just ordered the Dell 24" which is
    6ms and a lot cheaper than the 30" - for me 1920x1200 is plenty)

    > That has a range of sizes to see. Prices start pretty low, but most of
    > the cheapies don't do the resolutions I'd demand of their panel size.
    > Try find a 21" that does 2048x1536 without spending upwards of
    > US$4400.

    For some reason almost every 21" LCD uses 1600x1200 and if that is
    suitable then the price is reasonable. It seems that NEC does the
    2048x1536, but if the demand for that resolution is not high than the
    price will be slow to drop. Basically you find that if you aren't happy
    with what the majority want than you must pay quite a lot extra for a
    speciality product.

    My 19" LCD is 1280x1024 and my old 19" CRT can beat that, but I tend to
    run the CRT at 1280x1024. For me the pixel size is fine at that res. I
    come across quite a few customers that have the opposite problem to you
    - they would be happier to run a 21" LCD at 1024x768, but they often
    look blurry at anything other than their native resolution.

    Since you got your 22" CRT at such a good price than you are pretty well
    set to run for the several years that it is likely to take before the
    LCD you want is available at a reasonable price, so you are doing very
    well at the moment.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jul 2, 2006
  12. Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:58:03 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:56:48 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi there,

    >>>I saw that same Dell on a Dell stand at a local Brisbane mall
    >>>a short while back. Nice looking kit really, but I wasn't that
    >>>impressed with movie playback...it was just too slow...

    >> Please define to slow...??

    >Response time. Rapid movements in video showed evident ghosting
    >and blurry appearance.
    >
    >Not something I experience with even budget CRT monitors...

    But as the screens are refreshed at 60hz, you do not need very fast pixel
    screens

    60hz = 16ms
    , Jul 3, 2006
  13. Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:56:54 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> MarkH wrote:
    >>> Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in

    >>> For NZ$3000 you can get a 30" LCD with 2560x1600(widescreen), what
    >>> LCD costs US$5000?

    >> Is that the Dell 3007WFP? Does 11ms (or 14ms?) response time cut it?
    >> My eyes say they're getting better, but CRT still wins...

    >It's a case of horses for courses. There are many users that would not
    >even notice the 11ms delay (I have just ordered the Dell 24" which is
    >6ms and a lot cheaper than the 30" - for me 1920x1200 is plenty)

    At a 60hz refresh rate its 16ms, so why the hype for faster screens..???
    , Jul 3, 2006
  14. MarkH Guest

    wrote in news:34mga2plmd9fk9466p7kp1oq62750l8tec@
    4ax.com:

    > On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:56:54 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi there,

    >>> Is that the Dell 3007WFP? Does 11ms (or 14ms?) response time cut it?
    >>> My eyes say they're getting better, but CRT still wins...

    >>It's a case of horses for courses. There are many users that would not
    >>even notice the 11ms delay (I have just ordered the Dell 24" which is
    >>6ms and a lot cheaper than the 30" - for me 1920x1200 is plenty)

    > At a 60hz refresh rate its 16ms, so why the hype for faster screens..???

    Confused again, naturally.

    At a 60Hz refresh rate each pixel is refreshed every 16ms, from when the
    pixel is refreshed it takes some time for that pixels visual appearance to
    change. So the 16ms refresh rate is one delay, the pixel speed is another
    - they add up!

    An LCD with a 6ms grey to grey time will take 6-22ms to change from one
    shade of grey to another. An LCD with a 16ms grey to grey time will take
    16-32ms to change from one shade of grey to another. Faster is better!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jul 3, 2006
  15. MarkH Guest

    wrote in

    > But as the screens are refreshed at 60hz, you do not need very fast
    > pixel screens
    >
    > 60hz = 16ms

    Refresh delay + pixel speed delay = total delay.

    The faster the pixel speed the shorter the total delay!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Jul 3, 2006
  16. Hi there,

    MarkH wrote:
    > wrote in
    >

    >>But as the screens are refreshed at 60hz, you do not need very fast
    >>pixel screens
    >>
    >>60hz = 16ms

    > Refresh delay + pixel speed delay = total delay.
    >
    > The faster the pixel speed the shorter the total delay!

    Exactly. Too many LCD monitors I see have a slow enough response that
    the total delay is barely time enough to show rapid changes in video
    smoothly. Maybe thats my eyes, but unless I can see a snappy video
    response I would baulk at spending money on any LCD.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 3, 2006