    at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    turntrio, Feb 28, 2004

  2. turntrio

    anon Guest

    Because a single rental will be rented alot more than once, its that simple.
    You think Blockbuster buys 50 copys of a movie, rents each one once, then
    sells them? If so, I have some beachfront property in Arizona you can have,
    dirt cheap.

    methos

    anon, Feb 28, 2004

  3. turntrio

    Justin Guest

    anon wrote on [Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:40:49 GMT]:
    > Because a single rental will be rented alot more than once, its that simple.
    > You think Blockbuster buys 50 copys of a movie, rents each one once, then
    > sells them? If so, I have some beachfront property in Arizona you can have,
    > dirt cheap.

    You think Blockbuster buys DVDs?

    Justin, Feb 28, 2004
  4. turntrio

    djskyler Guest

    "turntrio" <> wrote in message
    > 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    > more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    > at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    > Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    > $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    It depends on what you mean by "support." When a release is brand new,
    video rental stores and fans of the movie buy millions of copies for the
    $20. Six months later, titles often are repriced by the studios down to
    $14.99, and you pay just $9.44 or even $5.88 at Wal-Mart. Video rental
    stores are a sure sale for movies studios on a title's release date, but if
    the rental stores went away, the movie studios would certainly adjust their
    pricing for a new market.

    djskyler, Feb 29, 2004
  5. turntrio wrote:
    > 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    > more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    > at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    > Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    > $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    Plenty of movies are well-worth the price, I even pay more than thirty
    bucks for just one movie if it's worth it too me. Stop buying all the
    Kangaroo Jacks and buy something black and white for a change, learn
    that there were movies *before* Star Wars. :p

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Feb 29, 2004
  6. turntrio

    Richard C. Guest

    "turntrio" <> wrote in message
    : 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    : more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    : at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    : Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    : $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    =========
    DVDs are cheap.

    "movie industry" does not set the price of rentals.

    They are making money fine.
    ==============

    Richard C., Feb 29, 2004
  7. turntrio

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : You think Blockbuster buys DVDs?
    :
    ======================
    Of course they do.

    How do you think they get them?
    ====================

    Richard C., Feb 29, 2004
  8. turntrio

    Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:46:59 -0600, "Jay G" <> wrote:

    >Richard C. <> wrote:
    >> "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You think Blockbuster buys DVDs?
    >>>

    >> ======================
    >> Of course they do.
    >>
    >> How do you think they get them?
    >> ====================

    >Blockbuster has revenue-sharing agreements with some
    >studios. They "lease" the DVDs for cheap, in exchange for
    >giving the studio a share of each individual rental.
    >This is how Blockbust franchises are able to
    >afford having so many copies of certain new releases.

    Read carefully, you "almost" got that right. The article talks about
    VHS which BB has a rental agreement with the studios, but not for DVD.
    BB is making a mint out of renting DVD. They buy one DVD for $16
    (probably with volume discount) and each disc is being rented around
    10-20 times for $5 each. After that, BB will sell you the used disc
    for $10. You do the math.

    That's why the studios are pissed with BB because BB talks money away
    from the studios.

    >From:
    >http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=2923_0_5_0_C
    >
    > Blockbuster turned around all of this. Instead of purchasing the
    > videotapes for $60-$75, which limited each store to approximately
    > 40 copies of each hit movie and lead to the "disappointment factor,"
    > they leased each video tape for $8-$12 and received as many as
    > 120 copies. In return, the movie studios or wholesalers received
    > 30%-40% of the rental revenue.
    >
    >-Jay

    , Feb 29, 2004
  9. turntrio

    Jay G Guest

    From:

    Jay G, Feb 29, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    says...

    >90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    >more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    >at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    >Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    >$2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    I spent up to $50 each on laserdiscs. I'm not complaining about DVD
    prices nowdays.

    --
    Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    Bloomington, MN <<to email, remove the "q" from address>>

    Monte Castleman, Feb 29, 2004
  11. turntrio

    Justin Guest

    Richard C. wrote on [Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:29:04 -0800]:
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >: anon wrote on [Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:40:49 GMT]:
    >: > Because a single rental will be rented alot more than once, its that
    > simple.
    >: > You think Blockbuster buys 50 copys of a movie, rents each one once,
    > then
    >: > sells them? If so, I have some beachfront property in Arizona you
    > can have,
    >: > dirt cheap.
    > :
    >: You think Blockbuster buys DVDs?
    > :
    > ======================
    > Of course they do.
    >
    > How do you think they get them?
    > ====================

    Revenue sharing

    Justin, Feb 29, 2004
  12. >90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    >more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    >at $15 to $20

    So, what?

    Nobody's forcing you to buy the 90% of movies you think are not worth $20.

    You have your 10% which you think is worth the money, so buy those and leave
    this subject alone. It's already been beat to death. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Feb 29, 2004
  13. >learn
    >that there were movies *before* Star Wars. :p

    Such as "The Day The Earth Stood Still."

    Or, "12 Angry Men." (The Henry Fonda version, not the Tony Danza version.)

    Or, the original "Psycho." Or, "To Kill a Mockingbird." (Version that stars
    the late great Gregory Peck.)

    Or, "The French Connection." How about "Silver Streak"?

    James Bond flicks are no exception.

    There are many examples. The list would take too long to write up. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Feb 29, 2004
  14. what's a joke is Richard C asking me for the domain name of my website when I
    don't have one to give him yet.

    I said I will be working on it.

    But I have to get one first before I can tell you or anyone else here what it
    is.

    But I will be getting one.

    And when it's finished, then I'll tell you the domain name of it.

    Waterperson77, Feb 29, 2004
  15. come to think of it, I think more people in this newsgroup than just Richard C.
    asked me for the domain name to my website.

    Well, I have to get the domain name first.

    Then I have to make my website.

    Then when it's finished, I'll tell you what it is, and you can all see it, if
    you want to.

    Waterperson77, Feb 29, 2004
  16. turntrio

    DarkMatter Guest

    On 28 Feb 2004 12:33:07 -0800, (turntrio) Gave us:

    >90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    >more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    >at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    >Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    >$2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    You're fucking retarded.

    DarkMatter, Feb 29, 2004
  17. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Waterperson77
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is
    Pink?"
    > come to think of it, I think more people in this newsgroup than just
    > Richard C. asked me for the domain name to my website.
    >
    > Well, I have to get the domain name first.
    >
    > Then I have to make my website.
    >
    > Then when it's finished, I'll tell you what it is, and you can all
    > see it, if you want to.

    Once again your posts have nothing to do with
    what is being discussed.

    --
    Demolition Man
    A reminder to the world....

    Demolition Man, Feb 29, 2004
  18. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU turntrio
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is Pink?"
    > 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    > more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    > at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    > Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    > $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    You must of not been around when Laserdiscs were $50
    on the average. Now suddenly that $15-20 doesn't sound
    so bad now does it?

    Demolition Man, Feb 29, 2004
  19. LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>learn
    >>that there were movies *before* Star Wars. :p

    > Such as "The Day The Earth Stood Still."

    Haven't seen that one yet. I imagine it involves people and animals
    being flunged into space by the violent stoppage?

    > Or, "12 Angry Men." (The Henry Fonda version, not the Tony Danza version.)

    There's a phrase I never want to hear again: "the Tony Danza version,"
    of *anything*.

    > Or, the original "Psycho." Or, "To Kill a Mockingbird." (Version that stars
    > the late great Gregory Peck.)

    Don't tell me they remade To Kill a Mockingbird as well?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Feb 29, 2004
  20. DarkMatter wrote:

    > On 28 Feb 2004 12:33:07 -0800, (turntrio) Gave us:
    >

    >>90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    >>more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    >>at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    >>Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    >>$2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    > You're fucking retarded.

    Oh, I didn't see that one coming DarkMatter. "Hmm, a post by ol' DM," I
    said to myself, "I wonder what he'll have to say?" Calling somebody a
    f*cking retard was the *last* thing I expected!

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Feb 29, 2004