20-foot Tripod

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Crissman, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Okay, okay, I'm just dreaming ... but it's something
    that holds my interest and someday -- money permitting --
    I'd like to be able to take overhead shots remotely.
    That would mean having the viewscreen at ground level
    while the camera itself was in position overhead.

    Are there any digital cameras with detachable viewscreens
    that could be used for such a purpose? Don't need a fancy
    radio or infra-red link -- an extension cable would be
    just fine.

    The ability to remotely control the focus and zoom would
    be a nice touch, too.

    Do any of the current crop of digital cameras offer a
    feature remotely similar to this?

    George Crissman

    The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action
    by stealth, and to have it found out by accident.
    - Charles Lamb

    George Crissman, Jan 4, 2004

  2. George Crissman

    Chris Quinn Guest

    Have a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3343857.stm for some
    ideas - follow the links for more details

    Chris Quinn, Jan 4, 2004

  3. George Crissman

    tatanka Guest

    > Okay, okay, I'm just dreaming ... but it's something
    > that holds my interest and someday -- money permitting --
    > I'd like to be able to take overhead shots remotely.
    > That would mean having the viewscreen at ground level
    > while the camera itself was in position overhead.
    >
    > Are there any digital cameras with detachable viewscreens
    > that could be used for such a purpose? Don't need a fancy
    > radio or infra-red link -- an extension cable would be
    > just fine.
    >
    > The ability to remotely control the focus and zoom would
    > be a nice touch, too.
    >
    > Do any of the current crop of digital cameras offer a
    > feature remotely similar to this?
    >
    > George Crissman
    >
    > The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action
    > by stealth, and to have it found out by accident.
    > - Charles Lamb

    I've got an Olympus C-5050; seems like this would be fairly
    easy. The C-5050 comes with a small IR remote that will
    fire the camera and adjust zoom. Most good digital cams
    have a TV-out signal, so there's your remote viewfinder -
    just hook it to a TV. Focus would have to be auto, though.

    And for pan-and-tilt, I think I saw a remote controlled
    tripod head that would do this somewhere before
    (Calumet?).
    tatanka, Jan 4, 2004
  4. George Crissman

    Lawr Guest

    In article <_c%Jb.1208$>,
    says...
    > Have a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3343857.stm for some
    > ideas - follow the links for more details
    >

    > "George Crissman" <> wrote in message
    > > Okay, okay, I'm just dreaming ...

    Shush. Dont't let a rec. group (whose majority of users presume is USA
    based) know about the Beeb sites. Now I've confussed - Beeb has
    everything to do with the BBC which everyone in the UK pays for under a
    licensing arrangement. But hey, it doesn't show or play adverts (except
    for upcoming progs).

    You access them and you then must send me and everyone in the UK a check
    for one penny. Their ours dammit :)
    Lawr, Jan 4, 2004
  5. George Crissman wrote:

    > Okay, okay, I'm just dreaming ... but it's something
    > that holds my interest and someday -- money permitting --
    > I'd like to be able to take overhead shots remotely.
    > That would mean having the viewscreen at ground level
    > while the camera itself was in position overhead.
    >
    > Are there any digital cameras with detachable viewscreens
    > that could be used for such a purpose? Don't need a fancy
    > radio or infra-red link -- an extension cable would be
    > just fine.
    >
    > The ability to remotely control the focus and zoom would
    > be a nice touch, too.
    >
    > Do any of the current crop of digital cameras offer a
    > feature remotely similar to this?

    Most Olympus cameras seems capable of this, using the (free download)

    Pine Tree Computing camera controller:

    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

    Terje

    --
    - <>
    Terje Mathisen, Jan 4, 2004
  6. George Crissman

    Tom Monego Guest

    Canon has had video assit remote for years, just don't ask the price I belive
    it was $7K (no camera, just remote tools) in 1990. Sports illustrated uses it
    alot. Gitzo makes a ladder pod, 14ft I believe.

    Tom

    In article <>,
    says...

    Tom Monego, Jan 4, 2004
  7. George Crissman

    AT Guest

    will one cent Canadian do?

    AT, Jan 4, 2004
  8. George Crissman

    Buster Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:41:54 -0800, George Crissman
    <> wrote:

    >Okay, okay, I'm just dreaming ... but it's something
    >that holds my interest and someday -- money permitting --
    >I'd like to be able to take overhead shots remotely.
    >That would mean having the viewscreen at ground level
    >while the camera itself was in position overhead.
    >
    >Are there any digital cameras with detachable viewscreens
    >that could be used for such a purpose? Don't need a fancy
    >radio or infra-red link -- an extension cable would be
    >just fine.
    >
    >The ability to remotely control the focus and zoom would
    >be a nice touch, too.
    >
    >Do any of the current crop of digital cameras offer a
    >feature remotely similar to this?
    >
    >George Crissman
    >
    >The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action
    >by stealth, and to have it found out by accident.
    >- Charles Lamb

    >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Well, here's a thought--the Olympus E20 provides a continuous NTSC (or
    PAL) video output (except for the exposure period some some unknown
    reason). There are many remote video transmitters available to
    provide a wireless video link. As far as 20-foot tripods go, that's
    another matter. I've got a Bogen 1548 that goes waaay up there, but
    20 feet is another matter.
    Buster, Jan 5, 2004
  9. "George Crissman" <> wrote in message
    > Okay, okay, I'm just dreaming ... but it's something
    > that holds my interest and someday -- money permitting --
    > I'd like to be able to take overhead shots remotely.
    > That would mean having the viewscreen at ground level
    > while the camera itself was in position overhead.

    Get a 20-foot USB cable and a laptop. If you camera supports remote
    software you're in business.
    The Black Sheep, Jan 5, 2004
  10. George Crissman

    Samuel Paik Guest

    George Crissman <> wrote:
    > Okay, okay, I'm just dreaming ... but it's something
    > that holds my interest and someday -- money permitting --
    > I'd like to be able to take overhead shots remotely.
    > That would mean having the viewscreen at ground level
    > while the camera itself was in position overhead.
    >
    > Are there any digital cameras with detachable viewscreens
    > that could be used for such a purpose? Don't need a fancy
    > radio or infra-red link -- an extension cable would be
    > just fine.

    Many digital cameras have NTSC video outputs. You can buy
    portable battery-powered NTSC monitors which you can then
    connect to such cameras. The harder part is triggering a
    shot--some have manufacturer-blessed methods to do so, many
    do not.

    > The ability to remotely control the focus and zoom would
    > be a nice touch, too.

    Some Olympus digicams have an IR remote which can control
    zoom (and shutter).

    Sam
    Samuel Paik, Jan 6, 2004
  11. George Crissman

    Buster Guest

    The current crop of Canon PowerShot cameras come with 'Remote Capture'
    software. This is pretty cool, you can run all the functions on your
    camera from your computer and there is a preview window (as long as
    you don't use digital zoom). The only problem is finding a long USB
    extension cable.
    Buster

    Buster, Jan 6, 2004
  12. George Crissman

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <>, Lawr
    <> writes:

    >You access them and you then must send me and everyone in the UK a check
    >for one penny. Their ours dammit :)

    Well please disconnect your computer from the internet please.

    It is a US invention, and therefore you owe everyone in the US some $$

    :)

    Azzz1588, Jan 12, 2004
  13. George Crissman

    Chris Quinn Guest

    Yes, but the World Wide Web is a British invention (Tim Berners-Lee), so
    please revert to posting plain text messages and not viewing any hyperlinks
    etc until you have paid your subscription fee!

    Chris Quinn, Jan 12, 2004
  14. George Crissman

    Don Coon Guest

    "Chris Quinn" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, but the World Wide Web is a British invention (Tim Berners-Lee), so
    > please revert to posting plain text messages and not viewing any

    hyperlinks
    > etc until you have paid your subscription fee!

    Come on now! Al Gore claimed he invented it : ) --- at least the
    internet.
    Don Coon, Jan 12, 2004