    1. If I change a key on a machine
    do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?

    2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?
    Edward, Apr 12, 2005

  2. Edward

    pcbutts1 Guest

    1. No not if you do it right. It also depends on the key that you use.
    2. No

    pcbutts1, Apr 12, 2005

  3. Edward

    Sultan Guest

    > 1. If I change a key on a machine
    > do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?
    >
    > 2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

    1.Re-register - no - reactivate yes.
    2. Absolutely not. Won't work. Heck you can't even use an upgrade key
    with a full version or vice versa.

    I hope you are not trying to pirate this. Stealing is stealing in my
    book and if this isn't your intention I apologize for bringing it up.

    --

    Sultan
    Sultan, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Edward

    Ron Martell Guest

    Edward <Edward@not_a_valid_email_address.com> wrote:

    >1. If I change a key on a machine
    > do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?

    Probably have to reactivate, which should be quick and painless over
    the Internet.

    >2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

    No. Product keys are uniquely coded to the specific version of
    Windows XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, or Tablet) and to the type of
    Windows XP (Retail Upgrade, Retail Full Install, OEM, Volume License)

    OEM product keys are further subcoded so as to allow identification of
    the specific OEM and of the presence or absence of "BIOS Locking" with
    regards to that particular copy.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Edward

    Daniel Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > Edward <Edward@not_a_valid_email_address.com> wrote:
    >
    > >1. If I change a key on a machine
    > > do I have to re-register with Microsoft ?

    > Probably have to reactivate, which should be quick and painless over
    > the Internet.
    >

    > >2. Can I change a key to a XP Pro with a XP home key ?

    > No. Product keys are uniquely coded to the specific version of
    > Windows XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, or Tablet) and to the type of
    > Windows XP (Retail Upgrade, Retail Full Install, OEM, Volume License)
    >
    > OEM product keys are further subcoded so as to allow identification of
    > the specific OEM and of the presence or absence of "BIOS Locking" with
    > regards to that particular copy.

    "BIOS locking"? Are you meaning where an OEM distributor prevents you from
    installing an operating system that they don't decide you can install?
    Daniel, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Edward

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: 2 XP product key changing questions.
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => Daniel <= wrote:

    >"BIOS locking"? Are you meaning where an OEM distributor prevents you from
    >installing an operating system that they don't decide you can install?

    No. It means a XP CD shipped with a Dell will only work on Dell computers (for
    example).

    --

    -Graham

    Remove the snails to email