    catches the latest viruses. pc #2 is conservative and has no shares. Can
    pc #2 still catch a virus from the ho just by being on the same network
    ie without doing anything?
    Plato, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Plato

    Thor Guest

    would probably depend on the nature of the virus, and whether it is written
    to look for shared resources, or instead tries to exploit some security
    hole. I'd say in general, if the system has no shared resources, it would
    make it more diffcult to catch a virus, but not impossible.

    Thor, Jun 7, 2004

  3. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > 2 win98 pcs walk into a bar. They are networked using client for ms
    > networks and netbuie. pc #1 is a ho and shares everthing and always
    > catches the latest viruses. pc #2 is conservative and has no shares. Can
    > pc #2 still catch a virus from the ho just by being on the same network
    > ie without doing anything?

    Not if PC#2 insists that all users put some tissue paper on the keyboard
    before use.
    Jess Fertudei, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Jess Fertudei wrote:

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > > 2 win98 pcs walk into a bar. They are networked using client for ms
    > > networks and netbuie. pc #1 is a ho and shares everthing and always
    > > catches the latest viruses. pc #2 is conservative and has no shares. Can
    > > pc #2 still catch a virus from the ho just by being on the same network
    > > ie without doing anything?

    > Not if PC#2 insists that all users put some tissue paper on the keyboard
    > before use.

    Or perhaps a full body condom.
    Plato, Jun 8, 2004