    version without a reformat of the drive? It doesn't affect the computer
    except when starting up it asks me which version I want to start. Kind of a
    pain for other users of the computer.
    Clifford Kirk, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Clifford Kirk

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Clifford Kirk mused:

    | In an attempt to repair XP, I accidentally now have 2 versions of XP on my
    | computer, the old and the new version. Is there anyway to remove the old
    | version without a reformat of the drive? It doesn't affect the computer
    | except when starting up it asks me which version I want to start. Kind
    | of a pain for other users of the computer.

    You probably don't have two version unless you installed a second
    iteration on a different partition. Though, by only doing a Repair, I don't
    think this is possible. So, probably what has happened is merely a second
    entry has been added in your BOOT.INI file when you did the Repair. You can
    confirm that there is only one XP install by doing a search for the
    "WINDOWS" folder. There should only be one.

    The quickest way to fix this is, when booted into XP, open the System
    Control Panel, click on the Advanced tab. Under Startup and Recovery, click
    on Settings. Under System Startup, you can select the default OS to boot
    to, and check the box for "Time to display list of operating systems" ...
    and also set this time to 0 seconds. This will skip the boot menu, and load
    the OS selected.

    Though, I suspect, regardless of which you select from the list, the
    same OS is being loaded.
    mhicaoidh, Nov 20, 2003