2 Versions of windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jillibean, May 21, 2005.

  1. jillibean

    jillibean Guest

    Can some one help me??

    I went to upgrade Windows ME to XP - somehow Windows XP was installe
    on a new partition - NOW i Have 2 versions of windows

    How can I move all my files from ME to XP and then delete the old M
    version??

    Thanks for your help

    It cant be good to be using up all that space... :-

    Jilli

    --
    jillibea
    jillibean's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1299

    jillibean, May 21, 2005

  2. jillibean

    doS Guest

    You cant.

    doS, May 21, 2005

  3. jillibean

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "jillibean" <> wrote in message

    > Can some one help me???
    >
    > I went to upgrade Windows ME to XP - somehow Windows XP was installed
    > on a new partition - NOW i Have 2 versions of windows.
    >
    > How can I move all my files from ME to XP and then delete the old ME
    > version???
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > It cant be good to be using up all that space... :-(
    >
    > Jillie

    It is quite risky to attempt to repair your situation. Here's what I would
    do:

    1) boot into XP, manually copy the data you need to save in XP. That would
    be the risky part - being sure to get all the files. You need your email and
    address book(s), your Internet settings (ISP connection info, favorites,
    etc.), your personal data (mostly in My Documents) and anything else
    scattered randomly across the ME install.

    2) once XP is running exactly the way you want it too, edit the C:\boot.ini
    file to remove the references to ME (eliminates the boot menu that allows
    you to choose which version you want to run).

    3) delete the files in the ME partition - another risky step. You want to be
    absolutely certain you don't delete the wrong version.

    On the other hand, if you haven't started using XP seriously yet, you can
    un-install it, and try again. Do you have the XP "upgrade" disk? Or is it a
    standard or OEM full version install? If it's not the upgrade disk, it won't
    correctly do an upgrade for you.

    Toolman Tim, May 21, 2005
  4. jillibean wrote:
    > Can some one help me???
    >
    > I went to upgrade Windows ME to XP - somehow Windows XP was installed
    > on a new partition - NOW i Have 2 versions of windows.
    >
    > How can I move all my files from ME to XP and then delete the old ME
    > version???
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > It cant be good to be using up all that space... :-(

    Depends on the size of your hard drive. If it's not a big problem, leave
    'em both on there. Just choose which you want on bootup. Of course,
    that'll be XP 99.99% of the time. I'd shorten the bootup pause to about
    5 seconds in boot.ini.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 21, 2005
  5. jillibean

    Billy Guest

    "jillibean" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Can some one help me???
    >
    > I went to upgrade Windows ME to XP - somehow Windows XP was installed
    > on a new partition - NOW i Have 2 versions of windows.
    >
    > How can I move all my files from ME to XP and then delete the old ME
    > version???
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > It cant be good to be using up all that space... :-(
    >
    > Jillie

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (after you read Toolman Tim's word).

    Billy, May 21, 2005
  6. jillibean

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message

    > "jillibean" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >>
    >> Can some one help me???
    >>
    >> I went to upgrade Windows ME to XP - somehow Windows XP was installed
    >> on a new partition - NOW i Have 2 versions of windows.
    >>
    >> How can I move all my files from ME to XP and then delete the old ME
    >> version???
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> It cant be good to be using up all that space... :-(
    >>
    >> Jillie
    >>

    > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (after you read Toolman Tim's word).

    That should work nicely - thanks for the reminder! The typical use is
    computer to computer, but I can't see why the OP couldn't collect the
    settings from ME into a file location shared by XP, then load it in.
    Probably much more reliable than trying to locate all the settings and files
    manually.

    Toolman Tim, May 21, 2005
  7. jillibean

    Billy Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "jillibean" <> wrote in
    > > message news:...
    > >>
    > >> Can some one help me???
    > >>
    > >> I went to upgrade Windows ME to XP - somehow Windows XP was

    installed
    > >> on a new partition - NOW i Have 2 versions of windows.
    > >>
    > >> How can I move all my files from ME to XP and then delete the old

    ME
    > >> version???
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help!
    > >>
    > >> It cant be good to be using up all that space... :-(
    > >>
    > >> Jillie
    > >>

    > > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (after you read Toolman Tim's

    word).

    > That should work nicely - thanks for the reminder! The typical use is
    > computer to computer, but I can't see why the OP couldn't collect the
    > settings from ME into a file location shared by XP, then load it in.
    > Probably much more reliable than trying to locate all the settings and

    files
    > manually.

    Top of the day to you.

    Billy, May 22, 2005