    I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask
    here.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Ivor Jones

    Martin² Guest

    Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.

    As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no way
    to program the router to which phone (IP)
    to forward the call.
    Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
    can't handle two 'lines', although
    Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure just
    how they propose to do it.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jan 21, 2005

  3. Ivor Jones

    Dave Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.
    >
    > As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no

    way
    > to program the router to which phone (IP)
    > to forward the call.
    > Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they
    > can't handle two 'lines', although
    > Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure

    just
    > how they propose to do it.
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    So what does the other port do on the Draytek?
    Dave..
    Dave, Jan 21, 2005
  4. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I
    > currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
    > modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
    > get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
    > either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
    > range.

    BT-101: How do I configure two or more SIP terminals in a network? (Content
    Overview: )

    In order to allow two SIP terminals on a network to operate behind one
    router, you must make the following configuration changes.

    Configuration of the IP devices
    Reconfigure the DHCP mode and assign a static IP address to both devices.

    Call the IP address of a device in the browser.

    The devices are pre-configured on the following ports:

    a.. Listen SIP Port: 5060

    a.. Listen RTP Port: 5004

    Make the following changes on one of your SIP devices:

    a.. Listen SIP Port: 5061

    a.. Listen RTP Port: 5005

    Click on "Update" in order to make the changes take effect.

    Configuring the router
    Adjust the router to forward ports 5061 and 5005 to the IP of the equipment,
    in the configurations menu in which you made the changes! i.e.-Your router.

    If you want to use more than two IP devices in a network, using one router,
    proceed as described above, but number those ports sequentially in the
    configuration menu of the device.

    Configure these ports to route traffic the same way. For a third IP device
    for example:

    a.. Listen SIP Port: 5062

    a.. Listen RTP Port: 5006
    Julian Thornhill, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to
    > function in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't
    > log on and although I can originate calls from the second account it
    > won't respond to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as
    > offline on the Sipgate site.
    >
    > I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
    > ask here.

    When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI (still an
    only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT Synergy DECT), I checked
    the use random port on the ATA config (rather than the default 5060, 5004) -
    it still worked, as the use random port option is for your exact case maybe
    you could give it a go!

    Jon
    Jonathan Pearson, Jan 21, 2005
  6. Ivor Jones

    John Geddes Guest

    Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address and
    two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My presumption
    was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from the fact that
    they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that it is a one-IP
    restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.

    But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2) router
    is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even with xLite.
    I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will work well with
    Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

    John Geddes
    Derbyshire UK

    John Geddes, Jan 21, 2005
  7. Ivor Jones

    sean Guest

    The cisco ATA 186 can do this, mine does do this :)

    and the two numbers are very similer :)
    sean, Jan 21, 2005
  8. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "John Geddes" <> wrote in message
    > Sipura 2000 should be able to do this - the device has one IP address
    > and two ports for POTS phones (with separate setup parameters). My
    > presumption was that the Sipgate warning to use just one phone came from
    > the fact that they do not supply two-phone adapters themselves, and that
    > it is a one-IP restriction rather than a one-phone restriction.
    >
    > But I have not made my Sipura 2000 work yet - my Netgear RP614 (v2)
    > router is rather crude in Port-Forwarding options, and won't work even
    > with xLite. I am yet to identify an affordable non-wifi router that will
    > work well with Sipgate and the Sipura. (Suggestions welcome).

    As I said, I'm using a Netgear DM602 modem/router (single port, connected
    to external hub) and it works fine with my Grandstream ATA-486. Don't want
    to spend more money on something like the Sipura until I *know* it's going
    to work..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 21, 2005
  9. Ivor Jones

    Dave Gill Guest

    Jonathan Pearson <> wrote:

    > When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI (still an
    > only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT Synergy DECT), I checked
    > the use random port on the ATA config (rather than the default 5060, 5004) -
    > it still worked, as the use random port option is for your exact case maybe
    > you could give it a go!

    I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine, but
    needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer Sagem-built BT
    Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring capacitor...

    Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with the
    ATA-486.

    Dave Gill, Jan 21, 2005
  10. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Dave Gill wrote:
    > Jonathan Pearson <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI
    >> (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT
    >> Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config
    >> (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use
    >> random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it
    >> a go!

    > I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine,
    > but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer
    > Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring
    > capacitor...
    >
    > Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with
    > the ATA-486.

    I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!

    BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with the
    port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in locking up both
    the router and the ATA-486..!

    Methinks this project requires some more thought..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 21, 2005
  11. Ivor Jones

    Martin² Guest

    Yes, you can easily forward ports 5060 & 5004 to one VoIP phone and ports
    5061 & 5005 to another,
    but then you presumably need to get the service providers VoIP server to
    'call you' on the alternative ports ?
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jan 22, 2005
  12. Ivor Jones

    Martin² Guest

    Dave:
    >So what does the other port do on the Draytek?

    AFAIK you can plug in two analog phones, but both use the same 'line' /
    number.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jan 22, 2005
  13. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Dave Gill wrote:
    >> Jonathan Pearson <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI
    >>> (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT
    >>> Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config
    >>> (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use
    >>> random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it
    >>> a go!

    >> I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine,
    >> but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer
    >> Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring
    >> capacitor...
    >>
    >> Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with
    >> the ATA-486.

    > I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!
    >
    > BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with
    > the port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in
    > locking up both the router and the ATA-486..!
    >
    > Methinks this project requires some more thought..!
    >
    > Ivor

    BTW (Ivor) - I know that your CLI worked with a Binatone?, do you have a
    list of model numbers of the phones which you've used and the CLI has worked
    with the ATA-486 - I'll also go to maplins and get a new BT-to-RJ11 adaptor
    incase my current one isn't working?

    thanks in advance
    Jon
    Jonty Pearson, Jan 22, 2005
  14. > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with
    >> the port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in
    >> locking up both the router and the ATA-486..!
    >>
    >> Methinks this project requires some more thought..!
    >>
    >> Ivor

    p.s. The sipagte website has been updated sometime in the past month - your
    original post is covered in the help section of the ATA-486 - section 6

    Jon
    Jonty Pearson, Jan 22, 2005
  15. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..?
    > I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602
    > modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to
    > get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in
    > either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura
    > range.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function
    > in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and
    > although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond
    > to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the
    > Sipgate site.
    >
    > I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd
    > ask here.
    >
    > Ivor

    Well my second ATA-486 arrived today and I configured it to use ports 5005
    and 5061 as per the instructions on the Sipgate website, but no joy. Tried
    calling my other Sipgate number and got no transmitted audio in either
    direction.

    Spent half an hour on the phone to Sipgate but even the extremely helpful
    guy there was unable to assist, we tried everything we could think of but
    no luck.

    I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
    the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
    the DMZ to more than one address.

    So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone pear-shaped :-(
    Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but I might try seeing if a
    friend who I know is currently using X-Lite is interested, either way I
    won't lose out financially.

    Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has *successfully* got
    two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a single router, *please* let
    me know how you did it..!!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 28, 2005
  16. Ivor Jones wrote:
    [...]
    > I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require
    > the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set
    > the DMZ to more than one address.

    [...]

    Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use and
    use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.

    Good luck,
    Martin

    --
    ---------- OS? What's that?!
    - Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
    Martin 53N 1W, Jan 28, 2005
  17. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Martin 53N 1W wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > [...]
    >> I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to
    >> require the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address,
    >> obviously I can't set the DMZ to more than one address.

    > [...]
    >
    > Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use
    > and use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Martin

    Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
    PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
    192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.

    The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
    new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
    forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
    devices.

    The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
    address of the working ATA.

    What else, if anything, do I need to do..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 28, 2005
  18. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Martin 53N 1W wrote:
    >>[...]
    >>
    >>Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use
    >>and use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.
    >>
    >>Good luck,
    >>Martin

    > Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
    > PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
    > 192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.
    >
    > The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
    > new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
    > forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
    > devices.
    >
    > The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
    > address of the working ATA.

    You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If not,
    then use DMZ and DMZ2!?

    What you want is port forwarding such that:

    wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
    wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
    wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
    wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061

    If your router can't support that, then you need another router or you
    should set up your own Asterisk server...

    Good luck,
    Martin

    Martin 53N 1W, Jan 28, 2005
  19. Ivor Jones

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the
    > PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to
    > 192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.
    >
    > The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the
    > new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port
    > forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct
    > devices.
    >
    > The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the
    > address of the working ATA.
    >
    > What else, if anything, do I need to do..?

    If your router can honestly only forward ports to one internal device, the
    answer is to get a new router. Can it only forward ports to devices attached
    to the physical DMZ port? Can there be more than one device connected there
    via a hub?

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Miguel Cruz, Jan 28, 2005
  20. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Martin 53N 1W wrote:

    [snip]

    > You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If
    > not, then use DMZ and DMZ2!?
    >
    > What you want is port forwarding such that:
    >
    > wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.16:5004
    > wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.16:5060
    > wanIP:5004 <--> 192.168.1.17:5005
    > wanIP:5060 <--> 192.168.1.17:5061
    >

    > If your router can't support that, then you need another router or
    > you should set up your own Asterisk server...
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Martin

    The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single
    Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are
    connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a
    DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port
    numbers to the end of IP addresses.

    I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time. Maybe one
    of the Sipura devices that has 2 phone sockets..? Could one of these be
    configured to do what I want..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jan 28, 2005