    router.

    Can I make the routers "see" all computers?

    Or: how else can I hook up 5 computers + 1 Wireless with this hardware?
    Volker, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Volker

    J Guest

    On 1 Jan 2006 07:37:47 -0800, "Volker" <> wrote:

    >I want to set up a home network using:
    >- cable modem that connects to 4 port Linksys router that connects to a
    >4 port DLlink wireless/4port router
    >- 3 computers plus the DLink are hooked up to the Linksys
    >- 2 computers plus a wireless are hooked up to the DLink
    >
    >Not sure if I created a mess, but only the computers hooked up directly
    >to a router see each other, but NOT the computers that are on the other
    >router.
    >
    >Can I make the routers "see" all computers?
    >
    >Or: how else can I hook up 5 computers + 1 Wireless with this hardware?

    This is very similar to a problem I just solved yesterday, with help
    from one of the regular posters here (didn't keep his name in notes,
    but here is my problem and his solution... which WORKED)

    Qwest/Actiontec DSL Modem GT701-WG
    - provided by telco, connectes to wall
    Cisco/Linksys Firewall Router BEFSX41
    - bought for ports, connects to actiontec

    sort'a what I said...
    Problem (I think) is that the 2 desktops wired to the Linksys
    are able to see each other, and the 1 laptop wireless to the
    DSL modem is able to connect to the Internet... but will not
    see the desktops and they can't see the laptop... so what I
    THINK is happening is that each "box" is setting up a new
    "network" and the dsl modem, even though it's one wired out
    port is feeding the linksys router, there is no "pass thru"
    identification between the two boxes

    the answer and solution...

    J, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Volker

    Volker Guest

    I guess the pros will tell me: hook up the wireless/4port router to the
    cable modem, then plug in a regular hub (not a router).
    I am guessing that routers effectively "block" what is behind (almost
    their purpose). But since I have these 2 routers, I thought I can use
    one as a hub. Can a router be "made" to act as a hub, maybe switching
    firewall or other stuff off?
    Volker, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Volker

    GTS Guest

    You need to configure the DLink wireless router to operate as an Access
    Point.
    See http://ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Please also see Multiposting vs Crossposting
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/crospost.html

    GTS, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Volker

    Big Spender Guest

    I had a simular setup.
    I had a linksys router attached to a cable modem
    I bought a linksys wireless router to add to my network to replace an access
    point that went bad.
    I connected the wireless router to a computer and booted it up. I changed
    the address of the wireless router to 192.168.1.2 and disabled dhcp. You
    only want one router handing out ip addresses separate addresses for each
    router. I then cabled the wireless router to my non-wireless router. I ran a
    cable from the wireless WAN port to any of the ports on the non-wireless
    router. You don't need a crossover cable the WAN port has the crossover
    built in. Now the wireless router is just acting as a switch and access
    point. I ran for over a year that way without any problems. I only changed
    because I went to DSL and they supplied the router with wireless.
    Cal

    Big Spender, Jan 2, 2006