2 questions that may be on the exam, anybody know the answer?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by walterbyrd, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. walterbyrd

    walterbyrd Guest

    If you are installing a video card, what precation should you take?

    A. Unplug the PC
    B. Flash the BIOS
    C. Use an ESD strap
    D. Leave the power on.

    I would have chosen "C" but I am told the correct answer is "A" That
    makes no sense to me. In fact, I think you may be better off leaving
    the PC plugged in because that will help to ground the system.

    A user gets an "out of diskspace" error, what actions should you
    consider (chose all that apply).

    A. Add more RAM
    B. Add a larger hard drive
    C. Replace diskette drive
    D. Remove unneeded files
    E. Defrag the existing hard-drive.

    I would say "B," "C," and "D." A lot of people think "E" should be
    chosen. Also, very few people whould chose "C" but I say: why not? If
    you are trying to write to full floppy, don't you get an error message
    like that? Any opinions?

    walterbyrd, Oct 4, 2003

  2. walterbyrd

    not2dumb Guest

    the 2nd q,
    c is not valid because it uses removable media
    why replace the floppy drive just because the floppy is full :)
    in any case the message is different.

    not2dumb, Oct 4, 2003

  3. walterbyrd

    eveversion4 Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > If you are installing a video card, what precation should you take?
    >
    > A. Unplug the PC
    > B. Flash the BIOS
    > C. Use an ESD strap
    > D. Leave the power on.
    >
    > I would have chosen "C" but I am told the correct answer is "A" That
    > makes no sense to me. In fact, I think you may be better off leaving
    > the PC plugged in because that will help to ground the system.
    >

    > A user gets an "out of diskspace" error, what actions should you
    > consider (chose all that apply).
    >
    > A. Add more RAM
    > B. Add a larger hard drive
    > C. Replace diskette drive
    > D. Remove unneeded files
    > E. Defrag the existing hard-drive.
    >

    > I would say "B," "C," and "D." A lot of people think "E" should be
    > chosen. Also, very few people whould chose "C" but I say: why not? If
    > you are trying to write to full floppy, don't you get an error message
    > like that? Any opinions?

    I had some similiar questions using the ExamGear that came with the 3rd
    Edition of Charles Brooks' "A+ Certification Training Guide."

    For first question, I would answer *C*, to use the ground strap but the
    stupid practice test says choice *A*.

    On second questions, I would have guessed choice *D* but the stupid test
    says *B*, add a larger hard drive.

    I hope the real exam isn't this messed up or I'm in trouble. I guess you
    just can't read too much into the questions.

    eveversion4

    eveversion4, Oct 4, 2003
  4. On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:08:41 -0700 , eveversion4 <>
    wrote:

    >walterbyrd wrote:
    >> If you are installing a video card, what precation should you take?
    >>
    >> A. Unplug the PC
    >> B. Flash the BIOS
    >> C. Use an ESD strap
    >> D. Leave the power on.
    >>
    >> I would have chosen "C" but I am told the correct answer is "A" That
    >> makes no sense to me. In fact, I think you may be better off leaving
    >> the PC plugged in because that will help to ground the system.
    >>

    >> A user gets an "out of diskspace" error, what actions should you
    >> consider (chose all that apply).
    >>
    >> A. Add more RAM
    >> B. Add a larger hard drive
    >> C. Replace diskette drive
    >> D. Remove unneeded files
    >> E. Defrag the existing hard-drive.
    >>

    >For first question, I would answer *C*, to use the ground strap but the
    >stupid practice test says choice *A*.

    FWIW, the "Official A+ Party Line" is that machines should always be
    unplugged before working on them.

    Of course, "Real Life" and "A+ Test life" are sometimes different.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Oct 4, 2003
  5. walterbyrd

    BobZilla Guest

    And besides if the drive is full, you cannot de-frag, it needs a swap area
    to defrag ;)

    BobZilla, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Had to pause and work out the physics on that one :) Of course, I had the
    wrong hand in the pocket.....

    You are right, if the hand you have grounded is the one you are working on
    inside the crt, and you are grounded no other place, you should be fine.
    Actually, even if youare grounded someplace else, youmight be fine.
    Electricty will take the shortest, easiest path to ground, or as we call it,
    the path of least resistance.

    I taught in my A+ classes that you should always be grounded, and that the
    grounding strap is the best tool for that. If you don't have one, and you
    have to work inside a computer now, keep one hand touching ground. Of
    course, that is not safe for monitors, but for the actual computer, it is a
    good work around.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Oct 6, 2003
  7. NEVER hold on to a ground point with one hand whilst working with tools or
    inside equipment with the other hand - any fault in the kit and you have a
    hand-to-hand shock through the chest and heart.

    Use a wrist strap with safety resistance built in.

    Unplug the kit from its mains power source and also disconnect the leads to
    anything else that is mains powered or a potential shock hazard (this is
    where I tell you about the faulty printer that sent 220vac up the parallel
    lead and onto the motherboard of an 'unplugged' PC--you too will believe
    techies can fly!)

    Never use a wrist strap when working inside a live monitor - the only safe
    environment is a fully insulated work area - ie: polystyrene blocked
    flooring and no grounded points within reach (no pipes, grounded equipment
    casings, metal screws in power switches etc). (Quick poll: how many have
    this kind of area in their workshop? Hmm, thought not!)

    'Hand in pocket' stuff is 'last resort' if you're in the field' and have no
    alternative and are being extra careful.

    Nigel Kendrick
    (Delurking after many months in the wilderness - hows everyone dooin?!)

    Nigel Kendrick, Oct 10, 2003
  8. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:52:14 +0100, "Nigel Kendrick"
    <> wrote:

    >NEVER hold on to a ground point with one hand whilst working with tools or
    >inside equipment with the other hand - any fault in the kit and you have a
    >hand-to-hand shock through the chest and heart.
    >
    >Use a wrist strap with safety resistance built in.
    >
    >Unplug the kit from its mains power source and also disconnect the leads to
    >anything else that is mains powered or a potential shock hazard (this is
    >where I tell you about the faulty printer that sent 220vac up the parallel
    >lead and onto the motherboard of an 'unplugged' PC--you too will believe
    >techies can fly!)
    >
    >Never use a wrist strap when working inside a live monitor - the only safe
    >environment is a fully insulated work area - ie: polystyrene blocked
    >flooring and no grounded points within reach (no pipes, grounded equipment
    >casings, metal screws in power switches etc). (Quick poll: how many have
    >this kind of area in their workshop? Hmm, thought not!)

    Good idea to have the power provided through an isolation transformer
    also, although the only part of most monitors I ever worked on (maybe
    all, and I've worked on hundreds; TV's are often a different story)
    was in the primary of the power supply, as the secondary is isolated
    by the switching transformer. This is not A+ stuff anyway, but...good
    to know for the inquisitive. For those more interested...

    http://www.repairfaq.org

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 11, 2003
  9. walterbyrd

    BobZilla Guest

    Wow thanks for the link Tom! That site is jam packed with very useful
    info. --------BZ

    BobZilla, Oct 11, 2003