2 off topic questions - Interviews and what good is an A+

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by the yeti, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. the yeti

    the yeti Guest

    Hello everyone. First question. What is the proper attire to wear to
    an interview. Obviousally I should not wear ripped jeans and a tux
    T-Shirt, but is it possible to "overdress"? I am interviewing at this
    company tomorrow http://www.sureshotonsite.com/ and I plan on wearing
    a suit. Thoes are the best clothes that I have available. I recently
    interviewed at a doctors office and I knew that because of it being a
    professional office that a suit was the best option. However, this
    company seems more low key and I wondered if I should tone it down a
    little. What does everyone here think?

    My second question is not meant to be flame bait, so please don't take
    it that way. Mostly I was just wondering what the collective opinion
    here is. I have an Associates Degree in Computer Network
    Administration from a local community college. I plan on taking the
    A+ ASAP, however during my last semester of school I quit my job, then
    we moved and money is super tight so I have not been in a position to
    afford a $200 test. I am somewhat offended however that I can't even
    get a tech job at Best Buy because i dont have an A+ cert. 3 years of
    college and $12,000 spent on education and the local big box store
    won't even look at my application for a position that I am more than
    qualified for. Is the A+ test that good? Are the people that take
    the test that much better than I am to work on computers? I guess
    this is more of a rant than a question, but I am not convinced that
    being A+ certified is all that big of a deal. What do you think about
    compaines that require an A+ just to look at your application?

    Thanks for your time and knowldege.

    The Yeti

    the yeti, Jun 10, 2004

  2. the yeti

    TechGeekPro Guest

    "the yeti" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone.

    Hello.

    > First question. What is the proper attire to wear to
    > an interview. Obviousally I should not wear ripped jeans and a tux
    > T-Shirt, but is it possible to "overdress"? I am interviewing at this
    > company tomorrow http://www.sureshotonsite.com/ and I plan on wearing
    > a suit. Thoes are the best clothes that I have available. I recently
    > interviewed at a doctors office and I knew that because of it being a
    > professional office that a suit was the best option. However, this
    > company seems more low key and I wondered if I should tone it down a
    > little. What does everyone here think?

    When in Rome, do as the Romans do. In other words, dress how they dress, or
    just slightly better. Overdress and you might not be taken seriously.

    > My second question is not meant to be flame bait, so please don't take
    > it that way. Mostly I was just wondering what the collective opinion
    > here is. I have an Associates Degree in Computer Network
    > Administration from a local community college. I plan on taking the
    > A+ ASAP, however during my last semester of school I quit my job, then
    > we moved and money is super tight so I have not been in a position to
    > afford a $200 test. I am somewhat offended however that I can't even
    > get a tech job at Best Buy because i dont have an A+ cert.

    Don't be. I have the A+ and an MCP and they won't look at my resume either.

    > 3 years of
    > college and $12,000 spent on education and the local big box store
    > won't even look at my application for a position that I am more than
    > qualified for. Is the A+ test that good?

    No.

    > Are the people that take
    > the test that much better than I am to work on computers? I guess
    > this is more of a rant than a question, but I am not convinced that
    > being A+ certified is all that big of a deal. What do you think about
    > compaines that require an A+ just to look at your application?

    They're morons. The A+ is a good entry level cert but, making it required to
    get a pc repair job at Best Buy just goes to show how bad this economy is.
    Next, it'll be a requirement to have a MCSE to get a job working in a call
    center doing tech support... oh wait... it is.

    TechGeekPro, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Yeti,

    Yeah, I agree with Barry, it's better to overdress than to
    underdress............just in case. I'd say the coat may not be necessary,
    but slacks, a nice shirt and tie are essential!...........oh yeah and nice
    shiney shoes always helps!

    It is true that a lot of dumb folks attain the A+ certification. It is a
    good entry level certification, but is almost a must now a days to gain
    employement in the IT field on a basic level.

    Good Luck Man!

    Edward W.

    Edward A. Weissbard, Jun 10, 2004