    PC with open architecture and Windows XP Professional? I like the idea of
    waiting for Windows 7 to be officially released before I switch from XP.

    Thank you.

    Norm Start, Jan 13, 2009

  2. Norm Start

    lars Guest

    Norm Start skrev:
    > 1. Is an "Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core 3GHz" processor 64-bit? If so,

    Yes.

    > will 32-bit OS or software run on it?

    Don't know.

    > 2. If a DVD Writer is included with the new PC, will it burn CDs as well?

    It only burn cd's, there is nothing else to burn.

    lars, Jan 13, 2009

  3. Norm Start

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:31:59 +0000, Norm Start wrote:

    > 1. Is an "Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core 3GHz" processor 64-bit? If
    > so, will 32-bit OS or software run on it?

    Yes, and Yes.

    > 2. If a DVD Writer is included with the new PC, will it burn CDs as
    > well?

    Yes.

    Dan C, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Norm Start

    VanguardLH Guest

    Norm Start wrote:

    <my comments shown inline to body of original post>

    > 1. Is an "Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core 3GHz" processor 64-bit?

    Google works:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+Intel +Core +2 +Duo +E8400

    in which the 2nd hit at Newegg lists the product which has a link to
    the product's home page, and the 4th hit is Intel's spec on the
    processor family which is at:

    http://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/specifications.htm

    Notice the "Intel 64 bit architecture" link in the short feature list?

    > If so, will 32-bit OS or software run on it? I'd like to salvage some
    > of my older software from my broken older PC's hard drive which had
    > an Intel P4 3-GHz and XP Professional OS.

    The Itanium is a true 64-bit processor. AMD's IA86-64 (later renamed
    to AMD64) and originally called EMT64 by Intel is not true 64-bit but
    instead a 32-bit processor with 64-bit instruction set extensions.

    Itanium 64-bit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ia64

    IA32-64 (32-bit with 64-bit extensions)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

    16-bit and 32-bit software will run in a 32-bit OS installed on an
    IA86-64 hardware-based host. Must use 32-bit drivers (OS and drivers
    must match). You are limited to 4GB RAM with 32-bit Windows but a
    single process is limited to 2GB (unless written to support PAE and
    that switch is used in boot.ini).

    32-bit and 64-bit software will run in a 64-bit OS installed on an
    IA86-64 hardware-based host. Must use 64-bit drivers (OS and drivers
    must match). The theoretical limit for RAM addressing in a 64-bit OS
    is 16 exabytes (1000 gigabytes); however, the hardware is often limited
    to a far smaller addressing range (because the mobo won't support the
    current draw for all those memory modules) and the OS often has its own
    built-in limitations. Windows XP X64 is limited to 128GB physical RAM
    and 8 terabytes of virtual memory per process.

    Problems with a 64-bit OS:
    - 16-bit apps may not work even when using a compatibility mode.
    - 32-bit apps sometimes won't function properly so you need a 64-bit
    version which may not be available (so you end up buying another
    license for 32-bit Windows to run in a virtual machine with your
    problematic applications.)
    - Not all hardware has yet to provide 64-bit drivers. You may not be
    able to use some of your hardware devices.

    Because of the significant and larger count of problems using a 64-bit
    Windows, especially by users trying to use their old software and not
    doing proper pre-planning and pre-installation setup, like ensuring all
    hardware has 64-bit drivers (and that they are stable drivers), all
    prebuilt hosts come with the 32-bit version Windows unless the purchase
    order specified the 64-bit version. If you choose to get a 64-bit
    version of Windows, also plan on using VMWare Server or VirtualPC (both
    free) to install yet another license (which costs money) of a 32-bit
    version of Windows to run in a virtual machine to handle all those 16-
    and 32-bit apps that won't run under 64-bit Windows.

    Saying that you have "Windows XP Professional" does NOT explicitly state
    whether you have the 32- or 64-bit version of it. However, unless
    "x64" is included in the product name, the assumption is that the
    32-bit version is being discussed. Windows XP Pro 32-bit will run on
    IA86-64 architecture.

    > 2. If a DVD Writer is included with the new PC, will it burn CDs as
    > well?

    If new, it is highly likely (i.e., nearly impossible) that it is an old
    16-bit version. It is a 32-bit application and will run under both 32-
    and 64-bit versions of Windows. It isn't the bit-width of the
    application that is most important. It is the driver and OS must
    match. It is likely that you do not need to install a special driver
    for your rewritable drive but if you do then make sure it matches the
    OS (i.e., 32-bit driver for 32-bit OS or 64-bit driver for 64-bit OS).

    The software included with a drive will support whatever disc media the
    drive can support. You think they would include burning software for a
    DVD-RW/CD-RW drive that only supported DVD-RW?

    > Any tips where in the USA I might find a great online deal on a nice
    > desktop PC with open architecture and Windows XP Professional?

    Typically I get my hardware from newegg.com. They aren't the absolute
    cheapest but are usually within 3rd to 5th in the ascending price order
    plus they are a known trusted online vendor with good return policies.
    mwave.com used to have some cheaper prices but now I tend to just stick
    with newegg.com unless they don't have the part that I want. That's
    for hardware. They're somewhat hit and miss for software prices but no
    point in going through the list of other sites where I look for
    software because you're only interested in hardware an reusing your old
    software.

    You could use Froogle (Google's product search) to find the cheapest
    prices but be aware that the absolute cheapest places may not be the
    most reliable or trustworthy, not have quick shipping times, not offer
    free shipping on some products or combined discount shipping on
    multiple products, or have a decent return or exchange policy.

    > I like the idea of waiting for Windows 7 to be officially released
    > before I switch from XP.

    You don't switch your OS unless there is an actual reason to do so.
    That there is a new version of an OS is *not* a valid reason to switch.
    Depends on how well marketing has converted you into a "newer is
    better" drone. Do you also buy a new car when there is nothing wrong
    with your old one? Most consumers do but not for rational reasons.
    They want a new car. They don't need a new car. Same for the OS.

    I have no reason to switch from Windows XP Pro 32-bit to a 64-bit
    version of it or to either a 32- or 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
    None of my applications require an OS change. Nothing of the newer OS
    by itself mandates that I switch to it for my use of my computer.
    Windows 7 is nothing more than window dressing atop the old Vista hence
    still no reason for me to move to that newer version. Cleaning up the
    UI, reducing menu navigation, and reducing UAC prompts are tasks that I
    could do with Vista (get rid of Aero and go with classic UI, get rid of
    Fisher-Price dialogs, disable UAC). To users, Win7 will be rolled up
    service pack and Vista Plus Pak for Vista. With Microsoft's current
    trend in trying to message Vista to make it more palatable to consumers,
    I suspect that I'll be using Windows XP until maybe 2014 (or have
    switched before that to some free Linux-based distro, like Ubuntu, and
    use multibooting, not Microsoft's stupid dual-booting, to load a Windows
    version to run a game). I would need some killer app (that I really
    must have) that required the new OS before I'll switch. There are some
    games that require Vista but I've managed to calm my desire for them.
    While games push the envelope for both hardware and OS and are often the
    push to consumers to get the newer version of an OS and spend more on
    hardware, they are also some of the worst code written regarding
    stability and compatibility. Newer hardware and newer OS are pretty
    steep prices to pay just to play a new game yet there are folks that
    don't do much with their new stuff that actually requires that new stuff
    other than the games they play. There are cheaper gaming platforms.

    From Paul Thurrott's "Windows 7 Feature Focus"
    (http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff.asp):

    Aero Peek
    Like hitting Win+M is too difficult to see what's on the desktop?

    Aero Snaps
    Customizable fluff for the UI. Non-essential to the actual OS.

    Accessibility improvements.
    I'm not handicapped and only those folks can truly comment if Microsoft
    has indeed made access easier for them.

    Action Center.
    Oh puh-lease. Nothing to do with real security. Just another fluff
    dialog center. No security app requires this dialog to actually provide
    security.

    Backup and Restore.
    Yes, it's better. Better doesn't make it good. I'll stick with better
    featured 3rd party backup apps. The only feature of MS backup software
    is that it supports Volume Shadow Service (VSS) whereas many consumer-
    grade backup apps don't (a few do but often you have to go to the Pro or
    Workstation versions - yet some work fine without it to restore a
    completely usable image of a partition).

    Bitlocker To Go.
    The storage device will need to support this feature. You might have to
    get new hardware.

    Blu-Ray support.
    Have you bought a Blu-Ray drive that didn't come with software to
    provide support for that drive's Blu-Ray features?

    Calculator.
    And Calculator Plus has been available for download from Microsoft for
    several years. I have it. Not yet needed it.

    Credential Manager.
    Not sure what all functions this provides. If storing pre-filled forms
    is what you need, Roboform and IE7Pro (free) give you that.

    Device Stage.
    Not required for a device maker to provide a UI to functions of their
    device. If they didn't provide a UI before, they won't because of this.

    Devices and Printers.
    Yet another aggregation dialog that changes your navigation paths. Did
    anyone actually like the inane Control Panel setup (before they switched
    back to the classic view)?

    DirectAccess.
    Yet Microsoft again wanting to establish a properietary communications
    protocol and must be used in a Microsoft-based domain network since it
    requires Windows Server 2003 at the other end.

    DirectX 11.
    Yet another excuse for game makers to claim that you must have DX11 to
    support the execution of their new game and force you to the new OS.

    Display improvements.
    The features of which should've been included in the software provided
    by your video card maker.

    Getting Started.
    Does anyone use the learning videos or guides that have come with any
    version of Windows? Hell, they don't even use the included help files
    (Start -> Help) for the OS or the included help in the apps. Instead
    they post to newsgroups for hand holding them to read back the same
    help.

    HomeGroup.
    Probably of help to noobs who want to know nothing of how to do
    networking setup. They want to be the admin but not have to learn the
    tasks of being an admin.

    Internet Explorer.
    You don't need to get Windows 7 if you want to get Internet Explorer 8
    when it finally does get released.

    Libraries.
    Microsoft finally gets around to adding some virtualization to system
    folders (i.e., redirecting to protected locations). Altiris SVS has
    been around for a few years and does a far better job (Symantec gobbled
    this up). Virtual machines, sandboxes, and policy enforcers with
    pseudo-sandboxes have long used virtual folders to protect the OS.
    Microsoft trying to catch up again.

    Location-Aware Printing.
    Do users really have such a hard time selecting the correct printer to
    which they want to submit their print job?

    Paint.
    Oh yeah, like anyone wanting more feature in Paint is going to use an
    updated version of it. They'll continue using better 3rd party apps
    some of which are free and very potent (IrfanView, GimpShop).

    Parental Controls.
    Microsoft is way behind the curve. If parents want to limit their kids'
    exposure to "bad" stuff, get censorware, enforce whitelists at the
    router (to which they don't have physical access), and/or use OpenDNS
    with its categories or domains that you can block instead of using your
    ISP's DNS server.

    Power Config.
    Sounds like something to do with battery life. "... identifying
    problems, settings, applications, and other things that may be reducing
    the power efficiency of your PC."

    Problem Steps Recorder.
    CamStudio has been free for years.

    ReadyBoost.
    Oh yeah, that's what I want to: add more memory that is far, far slower
    than system memory. If you're going to fork out the money for a USB
    drive to add s-l-o-w memory for use by Windows, just fork out the same
    money to buy new memory modules, crack open the case, and install them!
    Up the fast memory. Don't add slow memory, especially flash memory
    which gets slower as the masking algorithm has to redirect past byte
    blocks that go bad and eventually the flash drive suddenly and
    catastrophically fails (and takes all pending write data with it).

    ReadyBoost first appeared in Windows Vista, providing users with a way
    to cheaply and easily improve the performance of their PCs by utilizing
    a USB memory key as a memory cache. In Windows 7, ReadyBoost is improved
    in numerous way: It supports multiple memory devices, can work with USB
    memory keys, Secure Digital (SD) memory cards, and other internal flash
    devices, and supports over 4 GB of storage.

    Scenic Ribbon.
    More fluff they want you to pay for.

    Sensor support.
    Microsoft plays catch-up again.

    Start Menu (Enhanced).
    More childish fluff to make *something* different about the OS to
    qualify you paying for a new version of that OS.

    Startup Repair.
    Haven't use it in Vista. Can't comment on this. Hopefully it does more
    than just booting using the "last known good configuration" option.

    Sticky Notes.
    Like no one knows of 3rd party sticky note utilities? And for a lot
    cheaper (some free) than the cost of a new version of Windows?

    Styles.
    Yep, more fluff and they want you to pay for it.

    System Restore.
    Which was of very limited value. Many users thought this was an image
    restore which it is not. It only backs up *system* files to get the
    *system* (OS) back to a prior usable state. It often doesn't work. It
    won't do anything to restore your hard disk to a prior state. Get
    imaging software for that.

    Tablet PC.
    Can't speak on this enhancements. Don't use one.

    User Account Control.
    Users that want to get rid of the prompts simply turn this off. Then
    they use security software that doesn't have the prompts to give them
    the same level of security, like using Online Armor with its RunSafer
    option to remove privileges from any web browser or other app.

    View Available Networks.
    So they simplified the view and want to charge you for it.

    Virtual Hard Disk support.
    So get VirtualPC. You don't need Windows 7 to load a VHD to get a
    virtual host. VirtualPC will do that. VMWare Server will do that using
    its converter utility. Both are free. Both have been around for a long
    time.

    VPN Reconnect.
    Improved but 3rd party VPN-alikes are more secure and handle reconnects
    after a temporary outage.

    Windows Anytime Upgrade.
    Debuted in Windows Vista, was too confusing, so it was removed. this
    returns to electronic upgrading so you can upgrade between the versions
    within the Windows 7 family in about 10 minutes. It's for folks that
    couldn't be bothered to investigate what features they deemed critical
    and instead bought the cheapest version and now want the features in the
    more pricey version.

    Windows Defender.
    Oh yeah, like anyone really relies on this for anti-malware protection.
    Detection rate is very low. When I used this, it wasn't for its pest
    coverage but to alert me when an app wanted to make changes to my host,
    like for startup, scheduled task, or browser changes. I can do the same
    with WinPatrol and there are better anti-malware products out there than
    Defender.

    Windows Easy Transfer.
    I prefer doing a fresh install of an OS rather than drag along old setup
    that might be causing the problems for which I did the fresh install.

    Windows Explorer.
    Fluff added to an old dinosaur.

    Windows Gadgets.
    Google has them. Yahoo has them. Now Microsoft has them. Usually just
    a waste of memory and CPU cycles but users often like to customize their
    UI to make it their own despite they don't really use or need them.

    Windows Live.
    Windows Live Essentials.
    Already available and can be installed on Windows XP.

    Windows Media Center.
    My friends that used Windows XP Media Center always ended up finding and
    using better 3rd party media apps. Suspect the same here.

    Windows Media Player.
    Some nice additions although your DVD drive already came with a DVD
    player.

    Windows PowerShell.
    So you want to learn another Microsoft-proprietary scripting language?
    Instead learn Perl which you can use on numerous versions of Windows and
    even on non-Windows platforms.

    Windows Search.
    Some love this. Depends on how poorly they manage their file and folder
    hierarchy (i.e., messy users love this). Helps on a network to find
    files stored by others (provided they also don't pre-establish a
    hierarchy for file storage). Can get in the way of many programs since
    their files are locked. This isn't a new feature to Windows 7. You can
    install it in Windows XP, too. Been around for quite awhile now.

    Windows Taskbar (Enhanced).
    Not an OS improvement. More fluff. Something to look changed to
    qualify you forking out the money for the update that Microsoft want's
    to sell as an upgrade.

    Windows Touch.
    Just what I want, uh huh. A touchscreen so I can't see under my fingers
    and hand to where I'm pointing unless it's made into a large-sized
    screen object. Cleaning the monitor, oh joy. Didn't touch monitors
    already come with the enabling software?

    Windows Troubleshooting.
    No one used the old wizards. Why would they now? They'll still be
    coming to newsgroups for free peer-level help.

    Windows Update.
    The updates are superfluous. Users should always reconfigure AU to
    notify-only. Users should always do a custom selection of updates when
    at the web site. Users should NEVER apply the hardware updates but
    merely use them as a prompt to visit the hardware maker's web site (but
    then if the hardware is working then you don't need the update; i.e.,
    don't fix what ain't broke since the fix can then break it).

    Wireless Device Network.
    Your wireless laptop can be used as a wireless access point by other
    wireless hosts but only if your laptop is connected to a wired network.
    Guess it lets you not have to buy one wireless AP for your home network.

    WordPad.
    Adding fluff atop a minimalistic word processor. If you don't want to
    pay Microsoft's high price for an Office suite, and to improve on what
    WordPad can do (and by just more than a few extra features), go get
    OpenOffice for free.

    XPS Viewer.
    The XPS viewer has been available for download for a year or two now.

    Microsoft wants users to believe that Windows 7 is a new version of
    Windows. They need to generate a new revenue flow for a new version.
    They need to appear non-stagnant. They failed but are hoping you won't
    notice.

    Windows 7 = Windows Vista + service pack + Vista Plus Pak

    VanguardLH, Jan 13, 2009
  5. Norm Start

    Norm Start Guest

    Norm Start <Norm_Start@do_not.fill> parented this using

    > <questions trimmed away>

    Thanks to everyone for the nice replies and information.

    Norm Start, Jan 14, 2009
  6. Norm Start

    Norm Start Guest

    VanguardLH <> parented this using

    > Norm Start wrote:
    >>
    >> <original post trimmed away>

    > <my comments shown inline to body of original post>

    <VanguardLH's reply trimmed away - see the message link above>

    Many thanks to you for the great information and considerations!

    I have found a "Lenovo" at a nice price with some nice features but I am
    worried that it has "on board" or "shared" video and audio functions.

    http://www.buy.com/prod/lenovo-thinkcentre-m57p-desktop-intel-core-2-duo-
    e8400-3ghz-2gb-ddr2/q/loc/101/208292269.html

    The information from the above post has seriously effected my
    contemplations and forward considerations to Windows 7 contingencies.
    Perhaps I should just settle in with a good and stable Windows XP
    Professional system.

    I know people like to say "It depends on how you plan to use your PC," but
    I like to use it for home/office activities. Like downloading and watching
    movies rather than making or editing them. Or like connecting to a remote
    office and exchanging some spreadsheet information. And like listening to
    the internet radio all the while. Sometimes I might leave my desktop
    computer running for weeks until I absolutely have to reboot. It also
    filters my telephone calls with a free software called PhoneTray by
    TraySoft which I learned about in the newsgroups and works to quash
    telemarketers very well.

    My biggest worry might be that I invest $1,000 and in the next couple of
    months it is obsoleted by some new development which will not accomodate my
    stored data and transactions. But your information has been very helpful
    with those concerns. Thank you very especially for that.

    Norm Start, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Norm Start

    VanguardLH Guest

    Norm Start wrote:

    > I have found a "Lenovo" at a nice price with some nice features but I am
    > worried that it has "on board" or "shared" video and audio functions.
    >
    > http://www.buy.com/prod/lenovo-thinkcentre-m57p-desktop-intel-core-2-duo-
    > e8400-3ghz-2gb-ddr2/q/loc/101/208292269.html
    >
    > The information from the above post has seriously effected my
    > contemplations and forward considerations to Windows 7 contingencies.
    > Perhaps I should just settle in with a good and stable Windows XP
    > Professional system.
    >
    > I know people like to say "It depends on how you plan to use your PC," but
    > I like to use it for home/office activities. Like downloading and watching
    > movies rather than making or editing them. Or like connecting to a remote
    > office and exchanging some spreadsheet information. And like listening to
    > the internet radio all the while. Sometimes I might leave my desktop
    > computer running for weeks until I absolutely have to reboot. It also
    > filters my telephone calls with a free software called PhoneTray by
    > TraySoft which I learned about in the newsgroups and works to quash
    > telemarketers very well.
    >
    > My biggest worry might be that I invest $1,000 and in the next couple of
    > months it is obsoleted by some new development which will not accomodate my
    > stored data and transactions. But your information has been very helpful
    > with those concerns. Thank you very especially for that.

    I haven't bought a sound card in a long time (maybe 8 years) because the
    onboard audio has been sufficient for my needs and even for many games.
    The only time where I might've wanted a better sound card is back when I
    had 6 speakers so I was surrounded by them and could use the enhanced
    spatial features in the sound (which had to be supported in the game) so
    I could hear an AI sneak up on me from behind or from the side. Some
    games will use audio to provide feedback for what you don't see on the
    monitor, just like your ears are independent of your eyes to perceive
    your environment. I only have 2 speakers and subwoofer now so a high-
    end sound card would be pointless.

    System RAM is slower than video RAM so onboard video will not play well
    some high-end video games. I'm still using an old host with an ATI x850
    AGP video card (highest performer that I could find for AGP) and there
    are some games that have to be played at less then their maximum
    settings so the game is playable. To up the anti-alias, frame rate,
    resolution, etc., to get better video for the newest games would require
    me to replace the mobo and video card. So you will run into similar
    limitations with onboard video using slower system memory. If you not
    doing graphics editing, AutoCAD, or high-end games then you probably
    won't notice a problem using the onboard video. However, since it
    steals its memory from system RAM, that gets reduced for what your OS
    and applications get to use. After several years of having 2GB in my
    desktop, I still don't use more than 3/4 of it unless I get into video
    editing (like when converting or modifying a movie before cutting it to
    DVD-R).

    Since the Lenova model you mention is a desktop, you can buy it as-is to
    see if it meets your needs. If you find the video is lacking for
    high-end (and pricey) new games, you can later get a video card to stick
    inside the case (the tech specs list a PCI-e 16x slot you could use for
    a new video card). You can get some info about the Intel Graphics Media
    Accelerator 3100 at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA. It video
    supports shader v4 so you should be good to go with all games (my old
    ATI X850 with V2 can't run them). However, you'll notice the max memory
    bandwidth is 12.8 GB/s for DDR2 (what is in this Lenovo). My 8-year old
    ATI X850 AGP video card has 34.56 GB/s for memory bandwidth; see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units.
    So I can push 2.7 times more bytes through the GPU on my really old ATI
    than you could with this Intel 3100 onboard chip hence why frame rates
    and resolution (to get the frame rates down) would be limitations in
    playing games on this Lenovo host. But then you can test for yourself
    and decide later if you need to dole out the mega bucks for a better
    video card.

    The monitor is shown in the picture but not included so you'll have to
    buy one. Also, I never care about any keyboard and mouse that might be
    included because almost invariably they are not what I like to use. I
    always buy the mouse and keyboard separately and often have to go
    through several brands and models before I find one that I like (and
    then buy 3 of them to have 2 spares because also invariably is that
    those models get discontinued and I have would have to go through the
    entire trial and return process again). Similarly, I never buy LCD
    monitors online unless I have already tested using it at home. The cost
    differential for getting it a retail store pays for me being able to see
    it under my actual use instead of the bogus setup at the store that
    likes to show pictures and movies rather than show a static screen at
    high/native resolution to check for color tinges or sharpness. You're
    looking at the monitor every day and for several hours each day. Going
    cheap on the LCD monitor isn't smart, just like getting a $5 keyboard
    and $3 mouse (their cost) doesn't make sense. Comfort is important due
    to the long hours you will spend at your computer.

    VanguardLH, Jan 14, 2009