    CRT monitor also. I am running WinXP. What would I need to run both
    monitors at the same time? Thank you.

    Sharon

    sharonx9, Apr 20, 2006

  2. sharonx9

    old man Guest

    The simplest method is a vid card with dual display.
    I'm not entirely sure that a crt monitor would make much difference however.
    Your current vid.driver and LCD may have settings that allow you to
    manipulate the display.
    The print, end result may also depend on your printer/drivers.

    old man, Apr 20, 2006

  3. sharonx9

    Flyer Guest

    "sharonx9" <> wrote in message
    >I have an emachines 2ghz computer with 768mb ram. I currently have an LCD
    >monitor with it. I edit a lot of photos and find that they print very
    >different than they look on the screen. I thought of hooking up a CRT
    >monitor also. I am running WinXP. What would I need to run both monitors
    >at the same time? Thank you.
    >
    > Sharon

    Either two video cards, or preferablyone with dual outputs, some of the more
    high end cards support dual monitors.
    By high end, I mean more expensive ;-)
    I doubt they'll make much difference, what you get out of a print is seldom
    what you see on the screen. There are a lot of determining factors, such as
    monitor, software, printer, calibration, it can get quite expensive. The
    primary cause of not getting what you see, is down to something called
    gamut, or colour space. Your eyes have the biggest colour space, monitors
    come with a much smaller colour space, and printers are even smaller still,
    ( put simply, a smaller colour space basically means it can recreate less
    colours). So it's not easy getting prints to match what you see on the
    screen.

    P.

    Flyer, Apr 20, 2006
  4. sharonx9

    old man Guest

    Doesnt need to be high end, I purchased a Matrox (new) on Ebay for $20
    Two vid cards can sometimes conflict, as can using onboard vid + vid card.
    There is no definative answer as to which two vid cards will not conflict

    old man, Apr 20, 2006
  5. sharonx9

    philo Guest

    sharonx9 wrote:
    > I have an emachines 2ghz computer with 768mb ram. I currently have an
    > LCD monitor with it. I edit a lot of photos and find that they print
    > very different than they look on the screen. I thought of hooking up a
    > CRT monitor also. I am running WinXP. What would I need to run both
    > monitors at the same time? Thank you.
    >
    > Sharon

    as mentioned...either a second video card...or one that can support two
    monitors...

    *however* my g.f. uses a TFT with Photoshop and gets very good results.
    she reset the gamma and made the monitor's colors match the way it
    prints. It took here about 3 days but she got it dead right!

    We recently replaced the printer with a newer Epson R1800
    and she downloaded the ICC profiles and installed them prior to her
    first test print.
    we were both amazed to see the very first print come out perfect!

    So if you are using an Epson printer...see if they have the ICC profiles
    designed to work with Photoshop

    philo, Apr 20, 2006
  6. sharonx9

    Mitch Guest

    In article <esN1g.934667$xm3.655715@attbi_s21>, sharonx9
    <> wrote:

    > I have an emachines 2ghz computer with 768mb ram. I currently have an
    > LCD monitor with it. I edit a lot of photos and find that they print
    > very different than they look on the screen. I thought of hooking up a
    > CRT monitor also. I am running WinXP. What would I need to run both
    > monitors at the same time? Thank you.

    The problem is color matching, then.
    There are color matching tools, and there may be profiles to download
    for all of the relevant components in the workflow -- particularly the
    scanner and printer.
    The monitor has to be calibrated properly, too, but that just takes
    guidance. It would be the same situation if you had a different
    monitor.

    Mitch, Apr 21, 2006
  7. sharonx9

    Dan Evans Guest

    "sharonx9" <> wrote in message
    >I have an emachines 2ghz computer with 768mb ram. I currently have an LCD
    >monitor with it. I edit a lot of photos and find that they print very
    >different than they look on the screen. I thought of hooking up a CRT
    >monitor also. I am running WinXP. What would I need to run both monitors
    >at the same time? Thank you.

    You're more likely to find that this is due to the programme you are using
    to view/print the pictures. I'm using Paint Shop Pro for working with the
    images, but have found that I need to print using the Epson programme that
    came with the printer to get a decent result. The Windows image/fax viewer,
    Panasonic viewer that came with the camera, PSP etc all give crap results.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 21, 2006
  8. sharonx9

    Scrote Guest

    sharonx9 <> wrote:
    > I have an emachines 2ghz computer with 768mb ram. I currently have an
    > LCD monitor with it. I edit a lot of photos and find that they print
    > very different than they look on the screen. I thought of hooking up
    > a CRT monitor also. I am running WinXP. What would I need to run
    > both monitors at the same time? Thank you.
    >
    > Sharon

    Try this
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/colorcontrol.mspx

    not sure about the former. ~ Albert Einstein

    Scrote, Apr 21, 2006