    How did you get around that, so that you could still do the examples in the
    book?

    Thanks
    JohnB, Oct 15, 2008

  2. "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > For those that used the Microsoft Press book to study for 70-291....
    >
    > In the book, for several of the examples, it requires that you have 2
    > computers with modems and 2 phone lines, to 2 different ISP's. Which I
    > won't get into how idiotic it was of Microsoft to think anyone would have
    > all of that.
    >
    > How did you get around that, so that you could still do the examples in
    > the book?

    I took for granted that the technology works, and I focused on the
    *concepts* being taught,
    and ignored the exercises -- but then I do that for about 80% of
    "exercises" I encounter in training books.

    I've found, for me, that stepping through scripted exercises does nothing to
    teach me how to actually use the particular feature being discussed. I
    prefer to set up the feature, for real, in my own SOHO, and make it work in
    a real-life scenario.

    Incidentally, it's not the idiocy of Microsoft that's responsible for this
    snafu,
    but rather the idiocy of whichever of the two authors of the book
    actually wrote that section/chapter.

    Of course.. the Technical Editor should have caught the inanity of such an
    exercise as well....

    And, given that this is a Windows Server 2003 exam, which means the whole
    thing was written after the advent of xDSL (which is a 20th century
    technology), even the mere thought that a certification candidate would
    still have any type of dial-up connection is somewhat lame, IMNSHO.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin, Oct 16, 2008

  3. > For those that used the Microsoft Press book to study for 70-291....

    > In the book, for several of the examples, it requires that you have 2
    > computers with modems and 2 phone lines, to 2 different ISP's. Which I
    > won't get into how idiotic it was of Microsoft to think anyone would have
    > all of that.
    >
    > How did you get around that, so that you could still do the examples in
    > the book?
    >
    > Thanks

    somebody has isdn digital line...... i had it before T1.
    just 2 years ago.
    dino kwang yang, Oct 16, 2008
  4. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    You know.... I think you're right about ignoring that particular exercise.
    I spent a fair amount of time on Google trying to find some "virtual" way to
    simulate those examples, and there isn't one.

    Although I generally try to do some type of hands on, maybe not exactly like
    the book, but something... it helps to re-enforce the concept... i.e. I'm
    more apt to remember it.

    I 2nd the "inanity" thing.... it's as if someone decided "they need to know
    how to do this, for the real world. And lets just ignore the fact that no
    one is going to have all of that at home".

    JohnB, Oct 16, 2008
  5. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. How does that answer my
    original question?

    JohnB, Oct 16, 2008
  6. JohnB

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:06:09 -0400, "JohnB" <> wrote:

    >Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. How does that answer my
    >original question?

    By coming after the question and not before it.
    PAJ, Oct 16, 2008
  7. "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. How does that answer my
    > original question?

    I think dino's point was that an ISDN BRI circuit would give you the two
    phone lines needed,
    although not the second modem, nor the second ISP to connect with.

    But, with respect to my comment about xDSL technologies...
    ISDN predates xDSL, so my point pretty much stands...
    Anybody who'd likely be prepping for the MCSE had likely already abandonded
    ISDN, as well, for xDSL before 2003 ever came close.

    I know I pulled the plug on my ISDN BRI in 1998 when my ADSL circuit went
    live.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin, Oct 16, 2008
  8. ...
    >> Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. How does that answer my
    >> original question?

    > I think dino's point was that an ISDN BRI circuit would give you the two
    > phone lines needed,
    > although not the second modem, nor the second ISP to connect with.
    >
    > But, with respect to my comment about xDSL technologies...
    > ISDN predates xDSL, so my point pretty much stands...
    > Anybody who'd likely be prepping for the MCSE had likely already
    > abandonded ISDN, as well, for xDSL before 2003 ever came close.
    >
    > I know I pulled the plug on my ISDN BRI in 1998 when my ADSL circuit went
    > live.

    > http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    right
    dino kwang yang, Oct 16, 2008