    time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    somebody can help me-Tx

    Breathe95, Jul 9, 2007

  2. Breathe95

    Ben Guest

    Breathe95 wrote:
    > Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    > on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who know I have
    > comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    > know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    > time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    > details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    > somebody can help me-Tx

    You'd be better off using a proxy server, or something like Tor.
    Tor: http://tor.eff.org/
    Google "proxy server" to find out more about them.
    -ben

    --
    Ben J - Customer Support
    Front Range Internet, Inc.

    Ben, Jul 9, 2007

  3. Breathe95

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-08, Breathe95 <> wrote:
    > Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    > on one computer system--

    Yes; as many as you want. You can only use one at a time, usually, and
    the easiest way is to use dial-up over a telephone line.

    > like, if there are certain people who know I have
    > comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    > know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    > time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    > details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    > somebody can help me-Tx

    You don't need to use a different ISP to post to newsgroups without your
    IP number showing; just use a news-server that doesn't reveal that
    information. Look at peoples headers to see which servers don't.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 9, 2007
  4. Breathe95 wrote:

    > Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2
    > isp on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who
    > know I have comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd
    > rather not have them know it's me--long boring story--but I don't
    > want to drop comcast at this time, but would like to post without
    > comcast identifier in the Properties details . Hopefully, after
    > getting past the I am stupid part (which I am) somebody can help
    > me-Tx

    Whereas Ben says you are looking for a proxy server to conceal who your
    are, the answer to your question is Yes, you can have multiple ISPs.

    I use cable RoadRunner for connection, and AT&T Worldnet for several
    email addresses and news service. Not a problem. However, there will
    always be something in your post via any ISP to identify you in some
    way.

    Heck, if someone wants to expend enough energy, you can be found when
    using a proxy as well. So what's the answer? Stop doing whatever it is
    that makes them mad. <lol>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 9, 2007
  5. Breathe95

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Breathe95" <> wrote in message
    > Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    > on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who know I have
    > comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    > know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    > time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    > details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    > somebody can help me-Tx

    While Ben was correct - there are less expensive alternatives (proxy), yes,
    you can have two ISPs set up in one PC. I do that sometimes when I travel -
    set up two or even three accounts so that I can get connected anywhere I go.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Breathe95

    Alfred Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:01:02 -0700, "Breathe95" <>
    wrote:

    >Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    >on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who know I have
    >comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    >know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    >time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    >details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    >somebody can help me-Tx

    You can't have more than one broadband connection on one line so you
    are limited to one broadband ISP. Though there is nothing to stop you
    having as many dialup accounts as you can afford as well as your
    broadband account. I have my broadband ISP plus a couple of payasyougo
    dial up accounts. Work with no problems except the need to remember to
    set the news server for each account.

    Alfred, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Breathe95

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:01:02 -0700, "Breathe95" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    >>on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who know I have
    >>comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    >>know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    >>time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    >>details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    >>somebody can help me-Tx
    >>

    > You can't have more than one broadband connection on one line so you
    > are limited to one broadband ISP.

    Not entirely true. One could subscribe to a DSL provider, and a cable
    provider, and a cellular provider, or even a mobile broadband provider all
    at the same time. Now, connecting them would require some disconnecting and
    reconnecting of the ethernet cables, or PC cards, and such, but it could be
    done.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 9, 2007
  8. Alfred пишет:
    > On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:01:02 -0700, "Breathe95" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    >> on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who know I have
    >> comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    >> know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    >> time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    >> details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    >> somebody can help me-Tx
    >>

    > You can't have more than one broadband connection on one line so you
    > are limited to one broadband ISP. Though there is nothing to stop you
    > having as many dialup accounts as you can afford as well as your
    > broadband account. I have my broadband ISP plus a couple of payasyougo
    > dial up accounts. Work with no problems except the need to remember to
    > set the news server for each account.

    Is your only issue your IP being posted on newsgroups and such? Try a
    NON-ISP based news service (most are fee based), alternatively,
    www.aioe.org (free).

    --
    Ð’ Ñлучае чрезвычайной Ñитуации, краÑный Ñвет будет оÑвещать. ЕÑли Ñтого
    не произойдет то Ñто Ñлишком поздно Ð´Ð»Ñ Ñ‚Ð¾Ð³Ð¾, чтобы вопроÑ.

    http://www.kevin.com.ua/nntp-postings/

    =?UTF-8?B?0JrQtdCy0LjQvQ==?=, Jul 10, 2007
  9. WhzzKdd ïèøåò:
    > "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:01:02 -0700, "Breathe95" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    >>> on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who know I have
    >>> comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    >>> know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    >>> time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    >>> details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    >>> somebody can help me-Tx
    >>>

    >> You can't have more than one broadband connection on one line so you
    >> are limited to one broadband ISP.

    > Not entirely true. One could subscribe to a DSL provider, and a cable
    > provider, and a cellular provider, or even a mobile broadband provider all
    > at the same time. Now, connecting them would require some disconnecting and
    > reconnecting of the ethernet cables, or PC cards, and such, but it could be
    > done.

    But the cost would be rather pointless. However, you could use a
    gateway server to route traffic down certain lines, but again, that
    would be time consuming and costly.

    --
     ñëó÷àå ÷ðåçâû÷àéíîé ñèòóàöèè, êðàñíûé ñâåò áóäåò îñâåùàòü. Åñëè ýòîãî
    íå ïðîèçîéäåò òî ýòî ñëèøêîì ïîçäíî äëÿ òîãî, ÷òîáû âîïðîñ.

    http://www.kevin.com.ua/nntp-postings/

    =?windows-1251?Q?=CA=E5=E2=E8=ED?=, Jul 10, 2007
  10. Breathe95

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Êåâèí" <> wrote in message news:f6vc2g$g1s$...
    > WhzzKdd ïèøåò:
    >> "Alfred" <> wrote in message

    >>> You can't have more than one broadband connection on one line so you
    >>> are limited to one broadband ISP.

    >> Not entirely true. One could subscribe to a DSL provider, and a cable
    >> provider, and a cellular provider, or even a mobile broadband provider
    >> all at the same time. Now, connecting them would require some
    >> disconnecting and reconnecting of the ethernet cables, or PC cards, and
    >> such, but it could be done.
    >>

    > But the cost would be rather pointless. However, you could use a gateway
    > server to route traffic down certain lines, but again, that would be time
    > consuming and costly.

    Agreed. It's definately not a typical setup <g> and really doesn't address
    the point of the original question anyway :)

    WhzzKdd, Jul 10, 2007
  11. Breathe95

    Alfred Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:29:02 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Alfred" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:01:02 -0700, "Breathe95" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Here's another question to entertain the knowledgeable--can you have 2 isp
    >>>on one computer system--like, if there are certain people who know I have
    >>>comcast ISP which identifies me when posting and I'd rather not have them
    >>>know it's me--long boring story--but I don't want to drop comcast at this
    >>>time, but would like to post without comcast identifier in the Properties
    >>>details . Hopefully, after getting past the I am stupid part (which I am)
    >>>somebody can help me-Tx
    >>>

    >> You can't have more than one broadband connection on one line so you
    >> are limited to one broadband ISP.

    >Not entirely true. One could subscribe to a DSL provider, and a cable
    >provider, and a cellular provider, or even a mobile broadband provider all
    >at the same time. Now, connecting them would require some disconnecting and
    >reconnecting of the ethernet cables, or PC cards, and such, but it could be
    >done.

    Indeed.
    But generally one cannot have more than one broadband account simply
    because not many people can afford to have that many alternates.

    I do have 2 ADSL lines at work but I'm not paying the bill

    Alfred, Jul 11, 2007
  12. Breathe95

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:33:25 +0100, Alfred <>
    wrote:

    >Indeed.
    >But generally one cannot have more than one broadband account simply
    >because not many people can afford to have that many alternates.

    1.5 mbps for $19.95. That's not going to break the bank.

    >I do have 2 ADSL lines at work but I'm not paying the bill

    Why not just 1?

    Evan Platt, Jul 11, 2007
  13. Breathe95

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:00:41 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:33:25 +0100, Alfred <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Indeed.
    >>But generally one cannot have more than one broadband account simply
    >>because not many people can afford to have that many alternates.

    >1.5 mbps for $19.95. That's not going to break the bank.

    £10 per line rental and £17.50 per ADSL service. In US$ that's about
    $110.
    Per month not annually.

    >>I do have 2 ADSL lines at work but I'm not paying the bill

    >Why not just 1?

    2 offices in different locations but one domain/mail server. I just
    link to the nearest gateway. Wireless bridge between offices lets us
    run one network. We could get away with one connection if we had a
    better wireless connection but that has been costed at a 4 figure sum
    and judged not cost effective.

    Alfred, Jul 11, 2007
  14. Breathe95

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:00:41 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:33:25 +0100, Alfred <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Indeed.
    >>>But generally one cannot have more than one broadband account simply
    >>>because not many people can afford to have that many alternates.

    >>1.5 mbps for $19.95. That's not going to break the bank.

    > £10 per line rental and £17.50 per ADSL service. In US$ that's about
    > $110.
    > Per month not annually.
    >

    >>>I do have 2 ADSL lines at work but I'm not paying the bill

    >>Why not just 1?

    > 2 offices in different locations but one domain/mail server. I just
    > link to the nearest gateway. Wireless bridge between offices lets us
    > run one network. We could get away with one connection if we had a
    > better wireless connection but that has been costed at a 4 figure sum
    > and judged not cost effective.

    I hear that. I have two broadband providers at work as well - similar
    situation. Our main office has cable, but the plant office has DSL (since
    there was a phone line there, but no cable service.) We are looking at
    running ethernet to all the plant offices, so we can eliminate the DSL, but
    that takes time (and money!)

    WhzzKdd, Jul 11, 2007
  15. Breathe95

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:44:16 +0100, Alfred <>
    wrote:

    >£10 per line rental and £17.50 per ADSL service. In US$ that's about
    >$110.
    >Per month not annually.

    Well, here in the US, it's $10 per month for the line unless you get
    naked DSL, and then $19 per month for 1.5. So that's pretty cheap.

    >>>I do have 2 ADSL lines at work but I'm not paying the bill

    >>Why not just 1?

    >2 offices in different locations but one domain/mail server. I just
    >link to the nearest gateway. Wireless bridge between offices lets us
    >run one network. We could get away with one connection if we had a
    >better wireless connection but that has been costed at a 4 figure sum
    >and judged not cost effective.

    Well, get a better wireless connection. :-D

    One place I worked at had a 54 mbps wireless.

    Evan Platt, Jul 11, 2007
  16. Breathe95

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:42:03 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:44:16 +0100, Alfred <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>£10 per line rental and £17.50 per ADSL service. In US$ that's about
    >>$110.
    >>Per month not annually.

    >Well, here in the US, it's $10 per month for the line unless you get
    >naked DSL, and then $19 per month for 1.5. So that's pretty cheap.

    >>>Why not just 1?

    >>2 offices in different locations but one domain/mail server. I just
    >>link to the nearest gateway. Wireless bridge between offices lets us
    >>run one network. We could get away with one connection if we had a
    >>better wireless connection but that has been costed at a 4 figure sum
    >>and judged not cost effective.

    >Well, get a better wireless connection. :-D

    Not cost effective in place of the current setup

    >One place I worked at had a 54 mbps wireless.

    That would be maximum and probably only obtainable with the bridges
    sitting in the same room. Manufacturers are quite boastful

    Alfred, Jul 11, 2007
  17. Breathe95

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:19:48 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Alfred" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:00:41 -0700, Evan Platt
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>1.5 mbps for $19.95. That's not going to break the bank.

    >> £10 per line rental and £17.50 per ADSL service. In US$ that's about
    >> $110.
    >> Per month not annually.

    >>>Why not just 1?

    >> 2 offices in different locations but one domain/mail server. I just
    >> link to the nearest gateway. Wireless bridge between offices lets us
    >> run one network. We could get away with one connection if we had a
    >> better wireless connection but that has been costed at a 4 figure sum
    >> and judged not cost effective.

    >I hear that. I have two broadband providers at work as well - similar
    >situation. Our main office has cable, but the plant office has DSL (since
    >there was a phone line there, but no cable service.) We are looking at
    >running ethernet to all the plant offices, so we can eliminate the DSL, but
    >that takes time (and money!)

    We are moving into one office eventually so mostly it's a stopgap
    solution

    Alfred, Jul 11, 2007
  18. Breathe95

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:19:48 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"Alfred" <> wrote in message

    >>> £10 per line rental and £17.50 per ADSL service. In US$ that's about
    >>> $110.
    >>> Per month not annually.

    >>> 2 offices in different locations but one domain/mail server. I just
    >>> link to the nearest gateway. Wireless bridge between offices lets us
    >>> run one network. We could get away with one connection if we had a
    >>> better wireless connection but that has been costed at a 4 figure sum
    >>> and judged not cost effective.

    >>I hear that. I have two broadband providers at work as well - similar
    >>situation. Our main office has cable, but the plant office has DSL (since
    >>there was a phone line there, but no cable service.) We are looking at
    >>running ethernet to all the plant offices, so we can eliminate the DSL,
    >>but
    >>that takes time (and money!)

    > We are moving into one office eventually so mostly it's a stopgap
    > solution

    Makes sense then not to invest in new wireless hardware. We looked at that
    where we are, but it was way out of line compared to running an extra $60 a
    month for the DSL. It would take a LOT of months to make up the difference.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 11, 2007
  19. Breathe95

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:52:48 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >"Alfred" <> wrote in message

    >>>I hear that. I have two broadband providers at work as well - similar
    >>>situation. Our main office has cable, but the plant office has DSL (since
    >>>there was a phone line there, but no cable service.) We are looking at
    >>>running ethernet to all the plant offices, so we can eliminate the DSL,
    >>>but
    >>>that takes time (and money!)

    >> We are moving into one office eventually so mostly it's a stopgap
    >> solution

    >Makes sense then not to invest in new wireless hardware. We looked at that
    >where we are, but it was way out of line compared to running an extra $60 a
    >month for the DSL. It would take a LOT of months to make up the difference.

    We had a preliminary survey for wireless to replace our current setup.
    In USD it came to $8000 max. Even the lower estimate would cover over
    10 years of line rental.

    Alfred, Jul 12, 2007
  20. Breathe95

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:52:48 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"Alfred" <> wrote in message

    >>> We are moving into one office eventually so mostly it's a stopgap
    >>> solution

    >>Makes sense then not to invest in new wireless hardware. We looked at that
    >>where we are, but it was way out of line compared to running an extra $60
    >>month for the DSL. It would take a LOT of months to make up the
    >>difference.

    > We had a preliminary survey for wireless to replace our current setup.
    > In USD it came to $8000 max. Even the lower estimate would cover over
    > 10 years of line rental.

    Exactly! Our quote was similar - $5K US in hardware, plus the install and
    setup. Now that we are wanting to revise the entire scope of our inventory
    control software, we want to get a workstation on each plant supervisors
    desk. Wireless won't carry the bandwidth that could be involved, so for less
    than the cost of wireless, we're going to run fiber across the street to the
    center, and go ethernet out to the rest of the plant offices. Except for
    one - it's too far for ethernet, so we'll probably have to run a second
    fiber out there. Still, with the low cost of the hardwire, it needs to be
    done. Of course, MY overtime is going to be large <grin>

    WhzzKdd, Jul 13, 2007