2 HDD's problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brett, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Brett

    Brett Guest

    This isnt about my PC but someone else that needs help.

    They have an old(ish) machine bought from"gateway" (before they
    disappeared!) It has two hard drives C and D drives.

    C being only a few Gb and about 11GB on the D drive. Windows etc has been
    set up on the smaller drive as well as all the programs. So over time the C
    drive has filled itself up, leaving the D drive empty. So now there is a
    problem where the hard drive is full and programs cant save anything etc
    etc. however the machine in theory has at least 11gb spare.

    I cannot see an easy solution. We dont want to scrap both HDD and start
    again-this will be a lot of hassle as there is no CDrw to back up stuff- for
    the use that the machine is getting i don't think its really worth it
    either. What i am looking for is an easy solution so everything can be run
    from the larger HDD

    Also why would a PC be built in this way?

    Brett

    Brett, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Brett

    HF Guest

    You can save amything to your second drive but an easier way is to get
    drive instal software from the website of the drive mfrs. (eg pick the large
    drive). Having done this change the drive jumpers so that the larger drive
    is the master. Now boot with the drive instal software and copy the contents
    of the smaller drive to the larger.Reboot and format the small drive. (
    Are you sure that these drives are separate entities or just one hard drive
    partitioned into two drives)

    HF, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Brett

    Brett Guest

    > Are you sure that these drives are separate entities or just one hard

    drive
    > partitioned into two drives)

    Dont know, how do i find that out, and what would be the solution if that
    was the case?

    Brett

    --

    ------

    Brett, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Brett

    Andy Guest

    Brett wrote:
    >>Are you sure that these drives are separate entities or just one hard

    > drive
    >
    >>partitioned into two drives)

    > Dont know, how do i find that out, and what would be the solution if that
    > was the case?
    >
    > Brett

    I upgraded my computer by adding a larger hard drive about 6 months ago.
    The operating system went on the new larger drive and I formatted the
    old drive and now that stores backups and document files. Once the
    second drive has been formatted and the PC can see the drive just create
    files on your drive in the normal way. If the hard drives can be set up
    to 'auto detect' that may help your computer identify the drives.
    There's a label on the HDD body which tells you what jumper settings to
    make.

    Andy, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Brett

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:55:11 -0000, "Brett"
    <brett@juggler:-J)magician.co.uk> wrote:

    >> Are you sure that these drives are separate entities or just one hard

    >drive
    >> partitioned into two drives)

    >Dont know, how do i find that out, and what would be the solution if that
    >was the case?

    You SAID he has two DRIVES? lol

    You can check by taking the cover off the computer...and counting the
    number of hard drives.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !