    of being able to retrieve anything else from the 2 broken drives, but I
    would like to have at least one working drive left in the PC by the end of
    the week.

    mentalguy2004, Mar 30, 2006

  2. mentalguy2004

    old man Guest

    Both a deffective raid and psu can give rise to hd data problems, but would
    not generally result in hd 'clicking', which usually means the hd has / is
    failing.
    You've tried the hd manu checking utilities?

    "mentalguy2004" <> wrote in message
    > My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed

    yesterday
    > and
    > although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working

    after
    > about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
    > BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive

    (3
    > month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
    > recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
    > player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
    > channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
    > console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
    > (Norton) is up to date.
    >
    > Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here? I have
    > already lost about 300gb of data, and I don't want anything to happen to

    the
    > few bits I have left on the 2 remaining drives. I have given up the

    thought

    old man, Mar 30, 2006

  3. mentalguy2004

    ts570d Guest

    First, I think I would unhook the second drive that is still working
    until you check the voltage output of your power supply. Check the
    leads for voltages and you should have +- 5 and +- 12 volts, give or
    take. I would be most interested in the 12 volt end of the equation. 5
    volts is running the computer ic's and the logic borads on the hard
    drives. 12 volts is driving the drive motor and if the voltage is way
    too high or low, that could be the source of the problem. If the
    voltage is 11.5 to 12.5, then the problem is likely elsewhere.

    You MIGHT just have some bad luck, but for grins, find a couple old,
    really old and small drives with little value, hook them up, format and
    let them run for awhile. Put an OS on one of them and let the computer
    run from it for a couple of days. See what happens.

    ts570d, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Yes, tried the Maxtor utility but it won't recognise the drive, just says
    there isn't one. It's a sort of clicking/beeping type noise, like the
    motherboard "beep" but quieter.

    mentalguy2004, Mar 30, 2006
  5. mentalguy2004

    old man Guest

    If the drive is on a sata controler some utilities are unable to see the
    drive.

    old man, Mar 30, 2006
  6. I have a new (boxed) PC upstairs, I'll have to set it up and try to sort
    something out.. I was just wondering if I would knacker the new one by
    trying the "broken" hard drives in it. I am ever so slightly annoyed at
    losing over 4gb of stuff... and please don't mention "backing up" I am NOT
    in the mood LOL

    mentalguy2004, Mar 30, 2006
  7. mentalguy2004

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:01:45 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a new (boxed) PC upstairs, I'll have to set it up and try to sort
    >something out.. I was just wondering if I would knacker the new one by
    >trying the "broken" hard drives in it. I am ever so slightly annoyed at
    >losing over 4gb of stuff... and please don't mention "backing up" I am NOT
    >in the mood LOL
    >

    >"old man" <> wrote in message
    >> If the drive is on a sata controler some utilities are unable to see the
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> "mentalguy2004" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yes, tried the Maxtor utility but it won't recognise the drive, just says
    >>> there isn't one. It's a sort of clicking/beeping type noise, like the
    >>> motherboard "beep" but quieter.
    >>>

    >>> "old man" <> wrote in message

    >> is

    >> by

    >> drive

    don't forget about the freezer trick for clicking drives.

    put your hard drive in a ziplock bag, put that in another ziplock bag.
    put in the freezer for about 5-8 minutes. Plug the drive up and get
    your data off, this is only a temporary fix, but good enough to get
    data off a clicking drive.

    seriously....

    , Mar 30, 2006
  8. mentalguy2004

    Dan Evans Guest

    > My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed
    > yesterday and
    > although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working
    > after
    > about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
    > BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive
    > (3
    > month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
    > recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
    > player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
    > channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
    > console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
    > (Norton) is up to date.
    >
    > Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here?

    I'd check/swap the PSU, and run a sacrificial drive for a while.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Mar 30, 2006
  9. mentalguy2004

    old man Guest

    would'nt dream of it :(

    old man, Mar 31, 2006
  10. mentalguy2004

    Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:07:00 +0200, "Dan Evans"
    <> wrote:

    >"mentalguy2004" <> wrote in message
    >> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed
    >> yesterday and
    >> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working
    >> after
    >> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
    >> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive
    >> (3
    >> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
    >> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
    >> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
    >> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
    >> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
    >> (Norton) is up to date.
    >>
    >> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here?

    >I'd check/swap the PSU, and run a sacrificial drive for a while.
    >
    >Dan

    >-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    buy a power supply tester for $10 at your local computer shop (not a
    chain store)

    , Mar 31, 2006
  11. <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:07:00 +0200, "Dan Evans"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"mentalguy2004" <> wrote in message
    >>> My desktop has (or had!) 4 hard drives, one (160gb Maxtor) crashed
    >>> yesterday and
    >>> although I was able to boot and recover some files, it stopped working
    >>> after
    >>> about 10 minutes each time and is now completely dead, not recognised by
    >>> BIOS or XP. I disconnected it, and then this morning a second hard drive
    >>> (3
    >>> month old 300gb Seagate) started making clicking noises and although is
    >>> recognised by the BIOS (eventually), just clicks and nothing else. DVD
    >>> player works fine in all slots (both IDE channels and both PCI/RAID
    >>> channels). I have tried to use the XP setup disc to get to the recovery
    >>> console but before I get the options, it just blue-screens. My virus
    >>> (Norton) is up to date.
    >>>
    >>> Is this a sheer coincidence, or are greater evils at work here?

    >>I'd check/swap the PSU, and run a sacrificial drive for a while.
    >>
    >>Dan

    >> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access

    >>-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    > buy a power supply tester for $10 at your local computer shop (not a
    > chain store)

    If the power supply IS faulty, is the probability that my drives are now
    useless even in another PC??

    mentalguy2004, Mar 31, 2006
  12. mentalguy2004

    Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:46:10 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:07:00 +0200, "Dan Evans"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"mentalguy2004" <> wrote in message

    >>>I'd check/swap the PSU, and run a sacrificial drive for a while.
    >>>
    >>>Dan

    >>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    >> buy a power supply tester for $10 at your local computer shop (not a
    >> chain store)

    >If the power supply IS faulty, is the probability that my drives are now
    >useless even in another PC??

    oh yea

    you can get away with swapping out the circuit boards on the hard
    drive (the boards you can see on the bottom of the drive, DO NOT OPEN
    THE DRIVES). Buy the EXACT same brand & model #, switch the circuit
    boards and try it. This will fix your problem if the power supply has
    fried the boards on the HDD.

    , Mar 31, 2006
  13. mentalguy2004

    Rosco Guest

    cried out

    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:46:10 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message

    >>> buy a power supply tester for $10 at your local computer shop
    >>> (not a chain store)

    >>If the power supply IS faulty, is the probability that my drives
    >>are now useless even in another PC??
    >>

    > oh yea
    >

    > you can get away with swapping out the circuit boards on the hard
    > drive (the boards you can see on the bottom of the drive, DO NOT
    > OPEN THE DRIVES). Buy the EXACT same brand & model #, switch the
    > circuit boards and try it. This will fix your problem if the
    > power supply has fried the boards on the HDD.

    once you have replaced a faulty power supply, i would throw in at
    least a 350watt UPS that can clean up the power comming into your
    computer

    Rosco, Apr 1, 2006