    this to me.

    Thakyou
    Northern3
    Northern3, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Northern3

    Art Luttrell Guest

    Northern3 wrote:

    > Hi
    > Was talking to a work colleague and he has informed me that he as
    > installed 2 graphics cards (piggy backed) in his pc.I'm not entirely
    > sure if this would work,and if it did what are the advantages and
    > disadvantages of this sort of setup.I always thought that you could
    > only ever use 1 graphics card at a time.Could someone with more
    > technical know how than me please explain this to me.
    >
    > Thakyou
    > Northern3

    If you use the same cards, and are using Windows (not sure about Linux)
    you can have two monitors, each using half the desktop.
    Art Luttrell, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Northern3 wrote:
    > Hi
    > Was talking to a work colleague and he has informed me that he as installed
    > 2 graphics cards (piggy backed) in his pc.I'm not entirely sure if this
    > would work,and if it did what are the advantages and disadvantages of this
    > sort of setup.I always thought that you could only ever use 1 graphics card
    > at a time.Could someone with more technical know how than me please explain
    > this to me.
    >
    > Thakyou
    > Northern3

    There are two possibilities:

    Firstly, two cards can be used in tandem, as in this system on
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.html:

    "Ultima SLi" AMD Athlon 64 3700 Dual DDR System (FS-007-OK)

    which has:

    2 x GeForce 6800 GS 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Cards (SLi Configured)

    You can do a Google search to find out more about SLi, for example:

    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1728/

    Secondly:

    You can use two (or more) cards together with monitors connected to
    each. For those that can't afford (and certainly can't lift) 21" and
    over crt monitors, it is a way of getting more screen area, using cheap
    smaller monitors. Basically, the operating system can be configured to
    stretch the display over the available monitors, either horizontally or
    vertically, of if you have four monitors, both.

    I am doing this at the moment - with a 19" and 17" monitor, one over the
    other. all the background things I need are "up top" - leaving the main
    screen uncluttered for working on.

    --
    Sue
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Art Luttrell gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > If you use the same cards, and are using Windows (not sure about Linux)
    > you can have two monitors, each using half the desktop.

    They don't have to be the same cards.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    In the future, everyone will speak one language, but no one will speak it
    The Old Sourdough, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Northern3

    philo Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > Art Luttrell gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > snip
    >

    >> If you use the same cards, and are using Windows (not sure about Linux)
    >> you can have two monitors, each using half the desktop.

    > They don't have to be the same cards.

    That's right about not having to be the same cards.
    Also, you may use even more than two monitors.

    you main monitor will show your main desktop...
    but you can click and drag applications or windows over to other monitors.

    as your mouse gets to the edge of your main monitor...
    it merely continues on to any additional monitor(s)
    philo, Jan 28, 2006
  6. philo gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >> Art Luttrell gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> snip
    >>

    >>> If you use the same cards, and are using Windows (not sure about
    >>> Linux) you can have two monitors, each using half the desktop.

    >> They don't have to be the same cards.

    > That's right about not having to be the same cards.
    > Also, you may use even more than two monitors.

    I've got one box with three, using a dual head card and a single head card,
    but there's nothing that says you can't use three PCI, or an AGP plus two
    PCI cards, or whatever floats your boat, or whatever you may have handy.

    > you main monitor will show your main desktop...
    > but you can click and drag applications or windows over to other
    > monitors.

    Makes it nice for reading newsfroups and web browsing and doing whatever at
    the same time, without having to minimize this window and maximize the
    other, etc.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 28, 2006
  7. Northern3

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > I've got one box with three, using a dual head card and a single head
    > card,
    > but there's nothing that says you can't use three PCI, or an AGP plus two
    > PCI cards, or whatever floats your boat, or whatever you may have handy.

    Yep...
    the only disclaimer i'd make is that if the machine has on-board graphics...
    you may not be able to use both the on-board and an AGP or PCI at the same
    time
    philo, Jan 28, 2006
  8. philo gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> I've got one box with three, using a dual head card and a single head
    >> card,
    >> but there's nothing that says you can't use three PCI, or an AGP plus
    >> two PCI cards, or whatever floats your boat, or whatever you may have
    >> handy.
    >>

    > Yep...
    > the only disclaimer i'd make is that if the machine has on-board
    > graphics... you may not be able to use both the on-board and an AGP or
    > PCI at the same time

    True. I've had that experience. Depends on the particular mobo. But since I
    tend to shy away from using the onboard graphics, and disable it first off,
    it's not much of an issue in my case, but you're right, it may be a problem
    for someone who doesn't do that.

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Northern3

    Mitch Guest

    In article <drffcs$eaa$-infra.bt.com>,
    Northern3 <> wrote:

    > Was talking to a work colleague and he has informed me that he as installed
    > 2 graphics cards (piggy backed) in his pc.I'm not entirely sure if this
    > would work,and if it did what are the advantages and disadvantages of this
    > sort of setup.I always thought that you could only ever use 1 graphics card
    > at a time.Could someone with more technical know how than me please explain
    > this to me.

    No, you have always been allowed to use as many cards as the hardware
    had slots for. There may have been an additional limitation in the OS,
    but there was not one in the hardware.
    I can't guess why anyone would think only one card could be used.

    Your friend did not install two cards piggy-backed -- that would mean
    one card installed physically on top of the other one. He may have
    installed two cards that will work together cooperatively, but not
    piggy-backed.
    Mitch, Jan 28, 2006
  10. Northern3 wrote:

    Hi
    >Was talking to a work colleague and he has informed me that he as installed
    >2 graphics cards (piggy backed) in his pc.I'm not entirely sure if this
    >would work,and if it did what are the advantages and disadvantages of this
    >sort of setup.I always thought that you could only ever use 1 graphics card
    >at a time.Could someone with more technical know how than me please explain
    >this to me.
    >
    > Thakyou
    > Northern3

    What would you do if this?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  11. Re: Re: 2 Graphics Cards

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?= wrote:

    Northern3 wrote:
    >There are two possibilities:
    >
    >Firstly, two cards can be used in tandem, as in this system on
    >http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.html:
    >
    >"Ultima SLi" AMD Athlon 64 3700 Dual DDR System (FS-007-OK)
    >
    >which has:
    >
    > 2 x GeForce 6800 GS 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Cards (SLi Configured)
    >
    >You can do a Google search to find out more about SLi, for example:
    >
    >http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1728/
    >

    >Secondly:
    >
    >You can use two (or more) cards together with monitors connected to
    >each. For those that can't afford (and certainly can't lift) 21" and
    >over crt monitors, it is a way of getting more screen area, using cheap
    >smaller monitors. Basically, the operating system can be configured to
    >stretch the display over the available monitors, either horizontally or
    >vertically, of if you have four monitors, both.
    >
    >I am doing this at the moment - with a 19" and 17" monitor, one over the
    >other. all the background things I need are "up top" - leaving the main
    >screen uncluttered for working on.

    What if they were not two possibilities?Must be connected to a terminal.
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  12. Re: Re: 2 Graphics Cards

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    Art Luttrell gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >snip
    >

    >They don't have to be the same cards.

    What resemblence do you see?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Re: Re: 2 Graphics Cards

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    philo gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >I've got one box with three, using a dual head card and a single head card,
    >but there's nothing that says you can't use three PCI, or an AGP plus two
    >PCI cards, or whatever floats your boat, or whatever you may have handy.
    >

    >Makes it nice for reading newsfroups and web browsing and doing whatever at
    >the same time, without having to minimize this window and maximize the
    >other, etc.

    What do you suppose that resemblence means?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  14. Re: Re: 2 Graphics Cards

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    philo gibbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >True. I've had that experience. Depends on the particular mobo. But since I
    >tend to shy away from using the onboard graphics, and disable it first off,
    >it's not much of an issue in my case, but you're right, it may be a problem
    >for someone who doesn't do that.

    Is it important to you that your case?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  15. Re: Re: 2 Graphics Cards

    Mitch wrote:

    >No, you have always been allowed to use as many cards as the hardware
    >had slots for. There may have been an additional limitation in the OS,
    >but there was not one in the hardware.
    >I can't guess why anyone would think only one card could be used.

    Can you think of a specific example?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  16. Re: Re: 2 Graphics Cards

    philo wrote:

    >That's right about not having to be the same cards.
    >Also, you may use even more than two monitors.
    >
    >you main monitor will show your main desktop...
    >but you can click and drag applications or windows over to other monitors.
    >
    >as your mouse gets to the edge of your main monitor...
    >it merely continues on to any additional monitor(s)

    What does that similarity suggest to you?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  17. Re: Re: 2 Graphics Cards

    philo wrote:

    >Yep...
    >the only disclaimer i'd make is that if the machine has on-board graphics...
    >you may not be able to use both the on-board and an AGP or PCI at the same
    >time

    What do you think machines have to do with your problem?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006