    Marc Guest

    I have two g adapters on the same desktop running WinXP SP3, I enable #1,
    with #2 disabled, and number 1 "sees"/connects to network: SSID1. I disable
    #1, enable #2: #2 does not even see SSID1 (i.e., Windows does not even show
    an "SSID1" on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless Networks". It does
    see many other networks all over my neighborhood). I now switch routers:
    turn-off router A and bring-up router B - both broadcast SSID1, same security
    settings, same location, etc. Now if I repeat the same process as above,
    enabling one adapter and disabling the other in turn, BOTH see SSID1 and can
    connect to it (ie, can connect to router B). I have not needed to change any
    configurations (except enable one adapter/disable the other) on the desktop,
    either adapter will connect... A router range problem with A? I bring
    router A within 5 feet of adapters; again repeating the enabling/disabling
    above. Same result: adapter #1 sees it -- with adapter #2, Windows does not
    even register an SSID1 on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless
    Networks". I have other wireless clients (e.g., iPhone, another laptop,
    etc.) that can "see" both routers A or B and can connect to either
    interchangeably at same range.

    Any thoughts, I am stumped. I could understand a conflict on the desktop
    with two adapters, but can't understand why router B works for both adapters
    on that desktop (both see SSID1 and can connect) and why router A's SSID1
    broadcast is "invisible" to adapter #2 and Windows?

    Thanks in advance,

    Marc, Oct 15, 2008

  2. Marc

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: 2 "g" adapters on desktop, one sees SSID broadcast, other doesnot

    On Oct 15, 1:54 am, Marc <> wrote:
    > I have two g adapters on the same desktop running WinXP SP3, I enable #1,
    > with #2 disabled, and number 1 "sees"/connects to network: SSID1.  I disable
    > #1, enable #2:  #2 does not even see SSID1 (i.e., Windows does not even show
    > an "SSID1" on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless Networks".  It does
    > see many other networks all over my neighborhood).  I now switch routers:
    > turn-off router A and bring-up router B - both broadcast SSID1, same security
    > settings, same location, etc.  Now if I repeat the same process as above,
    > enabling one adapter and disabling the other in turn, BOTH see SSID1 and can
    > connect to it (ie, can connect to router B). I have not needed to change any
    > configurations (except enable one adapter/disable the other) on the desktop,
    > either adapter will connect...  A router range problem with A?  I bring
    > router A within 5 feet of adapters; again repeating the enabling/disabling
    > above.  Same result: adapter #1 sees it -- with adapter #2, Windows does not
    > even register an SSID1 on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless
    > Networks".  I have other wireless clients (e.g., iPhone, another laptop,
    > etc.) that can "see" both routers A or B and can connect to either
    > interchangeably at same range.
    >
    > Any thoughts, I am stumped.  I could understand a conflict on the desktop
    > with two adapters, but can't understand why router B works for both adapters
    > on that desktop (both see SSID1 and can connect) and why router A's SSID1
    > broadcast is "invisible" to adapter #2 and Windows?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I had this before. Check all / any software firewall setting. On my
    PC, my Norton 360 was not trusting my SSID on my wireless adapter.

    smlunatick, Oct 15, 2008

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Re: 2 "g" adapters on desktop, one sees SSID broadcast, other does

    Thanks much for your suggestion. ...but no luck. I turned off ZoneAlarm
    firewalls from ZA console, then also tried shutting ZA off completely...
    Windows reports no firewall at all on the desktop. Same results. It seems
    it has to be something along the lines of what you experienced...

    Marc, Oct 15, 2008
  4. Hi
    Make sure that the Wireless Router that does not show up on one adapter has
    the latest firmware and Hard reset it (aft6er hard reset you have to
    configure it aging if you use none default setting).
    On the computer empty all the preferred SSID list.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 15, 2008
  5. Marc

    On Oct 15, 3:49 pm, Marc <> wrote:
    > Thanks much for your suggestion.  ...but no luck.  I turned off ZoneAlarm
    > firewalls from ZA console, then also tried shutting ZA off completely...
    > Windows reports no firewall at all on the desktop.  Same results.  It seems
    > it has to be something along the lines of what you experienced...
    >
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Oct 15, 1:54 am, Marc <> wrote:
    > > > I have two g adapters on the same desktop running WinXP SP3, I enable #1,
    > > > with #2 disabled, and number 1 "sees"/connects to network: SSID1.  I disable
    > > > #1, enable #2:  #2 does not even see SSID1 (i.e., Windows does not even show
    > > > an "SSID1" on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless Networks".  It does
    > > > see many other networks all over my neighborhood).  I now switch routers:
    > > > turn-off router A and bring-up router B - both broadcast SSID1, same security
    > > > settings, same location, etc.  Now if I repeat the same process as above,
    > > > enabling one adapter and disabling the other in turn, BOTH see SSID1 and can
    > > > connect to it (ie, can connect to router B). I have not needed to change any
    > > > configurations (except enable one adapter/disable the other) on the desktop,
    > > > either adapter will connect...  A router range problem with A?  I bring
    > > > router A within 5 feet of adapters; again repeating the enabling/disabling
    > > > above.  Same result: adapter #1 sees it -- with adapter #2, Windows does not
    > > > even register an SSID1 on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless
    > > > Networks".  I have other wireless clients (e.g., iPhone, another laptop,
    > > > etc.) that can "see" both routers A or B and can connect to either
    > > > interchangeably at same range.

    > > > Any thoughts, I am stumped.  I could understand a conflict on the desktop
    > > > with two adapters, but can't understand why router B works for both adapters
    > > > on that desktop (both see SSID1 and can connect) and why router A's SSID1
    > > > broadcast is "invisible" to adapter #2 and Windows?

    > > > Thanks in advance,

    > > I had this before.  Check all / any software firewall setting.  On my
    > > PC, my Norton 360 was not trusting my SSID on my wireless adapter.

    Are both adapters the same model / revision?

    What about anti-virus software? Norton AntiVirus has a hidden
    firewall, known as Internet Worm protection.

    Also, locate the info on how to clean boot XP. Zone Alarm might be
    turned off but there still might be a module active.

    smlunatick, Oct 15, 2008
  6. Marc

    Ben Guest

    Hi Mark,

    I fail to see why you need to have 2 routers with the same settings or 2
    adapters in one pc. My best guess is that #2 is an earlier adapter which
    does not support the security of the routers, ie, it is only able to use WEP
    and earlier and the router is set on WPA or later. Other than that have you
    hidden the SSID in the routers settings?

    Ben, Oct 16, 2008
  7. Marc

    On Oct 16, 12:37 pm, "Ben" <> wrote:
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > I fail to see why you need to have 2 routers with the same settings or 2
    > adapters in one pc. My best guess is that #2 is an earlier adapter which
    > does not support the security of the routers, ie, it is only able to use WEP
    > and earlier and the router is set on WPA or later. Other than that have you
    > hidden the SSID in the routers settings?
    >
    > "Marc" <> wrote in message

    > >I have two g adapters on the same desktop running WinXP SP3, I enable #1,
    > > with #2 disabled, and number 1 "sees"/connects to network: SSID1.  I
    > > disable
    > > #1, enable #2:  #2 does not even see SSID1 (i.e., Windows does not even
    > > show
    > > an "SSID1" on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless Networks".  It
    > > does
    > > see many other networks all over my neighborhood).  I now switch routers:
    > > turn-off router A and bring-up router B - both broadcast SSID1, same
    > > security
    > > settings, same location, etc.  Now if I repeat the same process as above,
    > > enabling one adapter and disabling the other in turn, BOTH see SSID1 and
    > > can
    > > connect to it (ie, can connect to router B). I have not needed to change
    > > any
    > > configurations (except enable one adapter/disable the other) on the
    > > desktop,
    > > either adapter will connect...  A router range problem with A?  I bring
    > > router A within 5 feet of adapters; again repeating the enabling/disabling
    > > above.  Same result: adapter #1 sees it -- with adapter #2, Windows does
    > > not
    > > even register an SSID1 on the Windows configuration, "View Wireless
    > > Networks".  I have other wireless clients (e.g., iPhone, another laptop,
    > > etc.) that can "see" both routers A or B and can connect to either
    > > interchangeably at same range.

    > > Any thoughts, I am stumped.  I could understand a conflict on the desktop
    > > with two adapters, but can't understand why router B works for both
    > > adapters
    > > on that desktop (both see SSID1 and can connect) and why router A's SSID1
    > > broadcast is "invisible" to adapter #2 and Windows?

    > > Thanks in advance,

    Two router set up can be used in:

    1) Load balancing

    2) Redundancy configuration.

    However, this will be considered an advanced network set up and most
    "home network" grade routers might not do this type of set up
    correctly.

    smlunatick, Oct 16, 2008
  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Re: 2 "g" adapters on desktop, one sees SSID broadcast, other does

    OK: Problem solved. First thanks a lot to all who weighed-in on this
    problem. Admittedly it is somewhat "peculiar", but two adapters/two routers
    notwithstanding -- it should work! ...and it does. The reason I wanted 2
    adapters and two routers was to experiment with a long-range wifi set-up. I
    had one tomato-flashed Linksys (router "A") and another D-Link DIR655 (router
    "B") and a Netgear (adapter 1) and eNGenius/Senao (adapter 2) to test getting
    maximum range on both adaptor and router transmitters. Both set-ups used
    WPA2/AES security. ("Talking" above all the noise in my neighborhood was
    hard...). The verdict is the tomato-flashed Linksys with transmit power up'd
    to 100mW, along with the 200 mW transmit on the enGenius was superior in
    throughput at long-range, in spite of MIMO technology on the DLink and
    Netgear equipment. (The DLink MIMO played havoc with wifi connections to
    iPod Touch and even iPhones, FYI.) So enough background. The solution/fix to
    my problem was indeed on the router side. I did go back to "vanilla"
    settings on the Linksys (Router A), but the tomato settings ultimately worked
    fine too. Apparently a change of the original SSID1 to SSID2 did the
    trick!!! Both adaptors see SSID2 and can connect to them. How infuriatingly
    simple! (I am not yet daring enough to go back to SSID1 and see what
    happens...) Such is life with WiFi and XP. Again, thanks to all.

    Marc, Oct 16, 2008