2 different printers not printing black properly

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alfie [UK], Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Alfie [UK]

    Alfie [UK] Guest

    I have an odd problem, hope someone can offer some advice.

    I used to use a Canon S400 inkjet printer with no problems until one day
    it refused to print black. Colour printing was fine but anything
    requiring black was not printed.

    Replaced both cartridges and ran maintenance tasks on them (nozzle
    cleaning/aligning, and 'wicking' as suggested by the Canon support
    guys).

    In the end it worked out cheaper to buy a new printer than take the old
    one somewhere to be repaired.

    Got a Lexmark Z65 inkjet but it has the same problem, it won't print
    black properly. Again, tried the maintenance tasks and wicking, with new
    cartridges but no go.

    If I let the printer sit a couple of days I do get black out of it on
    the first few prints then it gradually 'fades' out and is back to not
    printing black at all.

    Is it possible that there is something in Windows causing a problem ?
    I've tried installing new drivers for both printers, de-selecting the
    colour management palettes for both the monitor and printer and
    adjusting colour control in my paint package (PSP 7.0, although not sure
    how this would affect printing in other programs such as Wordpad).

    I'm at a loss, hope someone can help.

    --
    Alfie
    <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

    Alfie [UK], Sep 29, 2003

  2. Alfie [UK]

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Cable?

    pcbutts1, Sep 29, 2003

  3. If you don't select black only in print options it will try to make black
    with the color cartridge. Makes it go slower and black is not as black.
    Since it's using all three colors at maximum to make black, it could be that
    the color cartridge can't keep up with the volume and slowly runs out of ink
    flow. Letting is set fills up the sponge again in the cartridge and lets you
    print again. Try selecting black only to use the black cartridge only.

    --
    "Alfie [UK]" <> wrote in message
    > I have an odd problem, hope someone can offer some advice.
    >
    > I used to use a Canon S400 inkjet printer with no problems until one day
    > it refused to print black. Colour printing was fine but anything
    > requiring black was not printed.
    >
    > Replaced both cartridges and ran maintenance tasks on them (nozzle
    > cleaning/aligning, and 'wicking' as suggested by the Canon support
    > guys).
    >
    > In the end it worked out cheaper to buy a new printer than take the old
    > one somewhere to be repaired.
    >
    > Got a Lexmark Z65 inkjet but it has the same problem, it won't print
    > black properly. Again, tried the maintenance tasks and wicking, with new
    > cartridges but no go.
    >
    > If I let the printer sit a couple of days I do get black out of it on
    > the first few prints then it gradually 'fades' out and is back to not
    > printing black at all.
    >
    > Is it possible that there is something in Windows causing a problem ?
    > I've tried installing new drivers for both printers, de-selecting the
    > colour management palettes for both the monitor and printer and
    > adjusting colour control in my paint package (PSP 7.0, although not sure
    > how this would affect printing in other programs such as Wordpad).
    >
    > I'm at a loss, hope someone can help.
    >
    > --
    > Alfie
    > <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
    > A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

    ---

    BananaPannaPoe-, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Alfie [UK]

    Alfie [UK] Guest

    Some time on Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:18:29 GMT, "pcbutts1"
    <> posted that:

    >Cable?

    Thanks for replying.

    The Canon S400 used a parallel cable and the Lexmark Z65 uses USB, and
    both cables seem to be working fine (I tested the USB cable by plugging
    my digi cam into it which works fine).

    I still have the feeling that it's something to do with a setting on my
    PC (Win XP Pro) as it seems odd that 2 completely different printers
    exhibit the same problem.

    --
    Alfie
    <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

    Alfie [UK], Sep 30, 2003
  5. Alfie [UK]

    Alfie [UK] Guest

    Some time on Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:36:12 GMT, "BananaPannaPoe-"
    <> posted that:

    >If you don't select black only in print options it will try to make black
    >with the color cartridge. Makes it go slower and black is not as black.
    >Since it's using all three colors at maximum to make black, it could be that
    >the color cartridge can't keep up with the volume and slowly runs out of ink
    >flow. Letting is set fills up the sponge again in the cartridge and lets you
    >print again. Try selecting black only to use the black cartridge only.

    Thanks for replying.

    For some reason it WAS using colour to print black and white pages in
    Wordpad. I just set the printing preference to monochrome, printed a
    test page (which came out pure black text and crisp), re-set the
    printing preferences back to automatic and it prints perfectly (uses
    black only for normal text printing and colour only where appropriate).

    Thank you very much :)

    Alfie [UK], Sep 30, 2003
  6. Have you tried using the printers on a different computer? Also will the
    printer print black if you run a demo or maintenance page (usually can be
    printed without going through Windows). This sounds more like an issue of
    the printhead drying out such as happens if the unit is turned off before
    the heads park. Are you shutting them off with a power bar instead of
    turning off the power by using the printer's power switch?

    Regards,
    John O.

    John and Pat Ochenduszko, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Alfie [UK]

    Alfie [UK] Guest

    Some time on Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:17:33 -0400, "John and Pat Ochenduszko"
    <> posted that:

    >Have you tried using the printers on a different computer? Also will the
    >printer print black if you run a demo or maintenance page (usually can be
    >printed without going through Windows). This sounds more like an issue of
    >the printhead drying out such as happens if the unit is turned off before
    >the heads park. Are you shutting them off with a power bar instead of
    >turning off the power by using the printer's power switch?

    Thanks for replying, but the problem was already solved thanks to
    BananaPannaPoe- MID news:.

    After setting the printer settings to mono only, printing a test page
    (which did print all in black), then setting the printer settings back
    to automatic it now works fine.

    --
    Alfie
    <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>