    software that came with the router doesn't help, and I can't seem to
    use the normal methods to connect.

    Where do I start?

    cblocke3, Aug 10, 2004

  2. cblocke3

    D Guest

    what are "the normal methods to connect" that you have tried??
    I assume the printer is connected to the desktop (w XP)??

    1) verify they are on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3) and
    that the printer is shared (right click/sharing)

    2) on the w2K laptop.....goto control panel/printers/add a printer

    3) click next on the first screen of the wizard

    4) choose "Local printer attached to this computer" and UNCHECK
    "automatically detect and install my plug and play printer"

    5) choose "create a new port" radio button and "standard TCP/IP port" in
    the drop down; click next; click next again

    6) type the IP address where it asks you (you do not need to type anything
    for 'port name'

    7) identify the NIC card (if it doesnt automatically do so) and click
    finish

    8) choose the make and model (drivers) of your printer. ** note: you may
    need to download the drivers from the manufacturers website

    9) choose "keep existing driver" if prompted. choose a name, deafult (or
    not), and share (or not). type a description and click finish

    thats it.

    good luck,

    D, Aug 10, 2004

  3. cblocke3

    PJB Guest

    "cblocke3" <> wrote in message
    > I have two computers hooked up to the Internet via a DSL

    and a LinkSys
    > Etherfast cable/DSL router (with a 4 port switch). I can

    get to the
    > Internet with both of them. I can't share files or the

    printer with
    > them. The printer is connected to one of the computers via

    a USB
    > cable.
    > I'm running WIN XP on one and WIN 2k on the other (a

    laptop). The
    > software that came with the router doesn't help, and I

    can't seem to
    > use the normal methods to connect.
    >
    > Where do I start?

    www.practicallynetworked.com is a good starting point..

    P.

    PJB, Aug 10, 2004
  4. cblocke3

    KungFusion Guest

    cblocke3 wrote:

    > I have two computers hooked up to the Internet via a DSL and a LinkSys
    > Etherfast cable/DSL router (with a 4 port switch). I can get to the
    > Internet with both of them.

    I think I have the same LinkSys router. Since I only have
    2 machines on my network I used a trick to make file and
    printer sharing easier. If you go to the router configuration
    browser page there is an option to limit the range of dynamic
    IP addresses. Limit the range to 2 values, such as
    192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.101. For things to work you
    have to boot the machines onto the network in the proper
    order. So let's say the Printer is attached to the desktop
    machine, you would boot that first so it gets assigned
    192.168.1.100 and the laptop gets assigned that other
    IP. Now on each machine edit the lmhosts file and
    put an entry for both machines and the loopback like
    localhost 127.0.0.1
    desktop 192.168.1.100
    laptop 192.168.1.101

    Now when you ping by name either 'desktop'
    or 'laptop' the network should know which
    is which. That should be all you need.
    Just share your printers and directories
    and choose the desktop machine as the
    master browser if necessary.

    I guess it wouldn't hurt either to add the
    IP addresses in your hosts file the same
    as lmhosts. My network has an XP machine
    and a Linux machine. The XP machine has
    the printer and I can print from Linux
    using CUPS and copy files using Samba
    Client or an FTP program(FileZilla is
    cool for the Windows client.)

    By using this IP address trick you don't
    have to change your TCP/IP settings to
    static IP. So if you change your setup
    to take out the router and hook your PC
    directly to the modem it should boot
    right onto the internet since it's
    still set up for DHCP.

    Good luck.

    --

    "Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
    Woody Allen

    KungFusion, Aug 10, 2004
  5. cblocke3

    Atreju Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:18:33 GMT, "D" <> wrote:

    >what are "the normal methods to connect" that you have tried??
    >I assume the printer is connected to the desktop (w XP)??
    >
    >1) verify they are on the same subnet (ie: 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3) and
    >that the printer is shared (right click/sharing)
    >
    >2) on the w2K laptop.....goto control panel/printers/add a printer
    >
    >3) click next on the first screen of the wizard
    >
    >4) choose "Local printer attached to this computer" and UNCHECK
    >"automatically detect and install my plug and play printer"

    SNIP

    Not exactly.
    Standard TCP/IP port is for use when the printer has a direct
    connection, via a print server.

    Just click on "network printer"

    ---** Before this, make sure of some basics such as Workgroup being
    the same on both computers.

    If the printer is properly shared, and your username/password on
    computer 2 exists in computer 1's security, then you should be able to
    connect to the share.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 11, 2004
  6. cblocke3

    Atreju Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:39:56 -0400, KungFusion
    <> wrote:

    >cblocke3 wrote:
    >
    >> I have two computers hooked up to the Internet via a DSL and a LinkSys
    >> Etherfast cable/DSL router (with a 4 port switch). I can get to the
    >> Internet with both of them.

    >I think I have the same LinkSys router. Since I only have
    >2 machines on my network I used a trick to make file and
    >printer sharing easier. If you go to the router configuration

    SNIP

    Geez, it's like the blind leading the deaf.

    It matters not what kind of router, switch, hub, etc. you have.

    If you have two Windows computers on the same subnet (192.168.1.x /
    255.255.255.0 for example) then you need only make them part of the
    same Workgroup and make sure they have different computer names.

    In Windows NT, 2000 or XP you also would need to make sure that
    computer 2 (the one trying to access the printer) is using a
    login/password that exists in the security database of computer 1 (the
    one sharing the printer) this way the user will have "access"

    Just share the printer on computer 1 and install it as a network
    printer on Computer 2.

    If you need further help, post again.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 11, 2004
  7. cblocke3

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to do MS File and
    Print Sharing between machines using the MS O/S. I don't know what you have
    posted here other than some kind of a mess using a router, which doesn't
    apply to sharing resources with machines using the MS O/S.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 11, 2004