2 computers, both online, both invisible to each other ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by b, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. b

    b Guest

    i have 2 computers running xp (one has service pack 2, the other does not)

    both plugged into a linksys router

    both capable of getting on the internet

    and both have the firewall off (just until i get them to connect to one
    another) and file/printer sharing on, with some folders shared on each box

    but i can't, while browsing to my workgroup, see the other comp, no matter
    which comp i use

    i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some files
    to the newer comp over my LAN

    thanks

    ~b~

    b, Apr 20, 2006

  2. b wrote:
    > i have 2 computers running xp (one has service pack 2, the other does not)
    >
    > both plugged into a linksys router
    >
    > both capable of getting on the internet
    >

    > and both have the firewall off (just until i get them to connect to one
    > another) and file/printer sharing on, with some folders shared on each box
    >

    > but i can't, while browsing to my workgroup, see the other comp, no matter
    > which comp i use
    >
    > i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some files
    > to the newer comp over my LAN.

    On both machines, click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network
    Setup Wizard, follow the steps. Workgroup name has to be exactly the
    same on both machines.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 20, 2006

  3. b

    Duane Arnold Guest

    b wrote:
    > i have 2 computers running xp (one has service pack 2, the other does not)
    >
    > both plugged into a linksys router
    >
    > both capable of getting on the internet
    >

    > and both have the firewall off (just until i get them to connect to one
    > another) and file/printer sharing on, with some folders shared on each box
    >

    > but i can't, while browsing to my workgroup, see the other comp, no matter
    > which comp i use
    >
    > i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some files
    > to the newer comp over my LAN

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
    Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that
    would not network or couldn't see each other.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 20, 2006
  4. b

    b Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >b wrote:
    >> i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some
    >> files to the newer comp over my LAN.

    > On both machines, click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network
    > Setup Wizard, follow the steps. Workgroup name has to be exactly the same
    > on both machines.

    i did that, restarted, re-did that, and it hasn't worked =(

    b, Apr 20, 2006
  5. b

    b Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:VDQ1g.6408$...
    >b wrote:
    >>
    >> i don't know which settings to touch, but all i want is to move some
    >> files to the newer comp over my LAN
    >>

    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >
    > You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
    > Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that would
    > not network or couldn't see each other.
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >
    > Duane :)

    thanks! installing ipx/sx worked perfectly...thanks!

    b, Apr 20, 2006
  6. b wrote:

    > "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in

    >> You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
    >> Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that
    >> would not network or couldn't see each other.
    >>
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > thanks! installing ipx/sx worked perfectly...thanks!

    Interesting :). Now generally it is desireable to use as few network
    protocols as possible, but for a 2-computer network will be no bad
    aftermath. Maybe the linksys router has a firewall that by default also
    disables netbios ports on the LAN side if not configured as "trusted
    network" ...
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 20, 2006
  7. b

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > b wrote:
    >

    >>"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in

    >>>You can also use MS NWlink IPX/SPX protocol on the NIC's (Network
    >>>Interface Card), which has never failed networking XP computers that
    >>>would not network or couldn't see each other.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)

    >>thanks! installing ipx/sx worked perfectly...thanks!

    > Interesting :). Now generally it is desireable to use as few network
    > protocols as possible, but for a 2-computer network will be no bad
    > aftermath. Maybe the linksys router has a firewall that by default also
    > disables netbios ports on the LAN side if not configured as "trusted
    > network" ...

    I could see that being said on a wireless Linksys router as I had the
    problem between wire and wireless machine with Netbuei, because Netbeui
    is not a routable protocol on Win 2k machines.

    That's when I switched to NWlink and no more problems. The Linksys on
    the wired side never had a problem with just Client for MS network,
    F&PS for MS networks and TCP/IP on the NIC's when the wireless went out,
    even when the machines were switched to XP Pro. Now that's all I use as
    the network services and protocols on the NIC's with the Watchguard
    protecting the network.

    However, on a Linksys router that was all wire, a person I worked with
    couldn't get the XP machines to network, until I mentioned NWlink.

    The Netbios ports on the Linksys router is only protected on the WAN and
    not the LAN. There maybe some kind of routing issues with the protocols
    in use and why I don't know.

    If all else fails, then one can use NWlink. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 20, 2006
  8. Duane Arnold wrote:

    > However, on a Linksys router that was all wire, a person I worked with
    > couldn't get the XP machines to network, until I mentioned NWlink.
    >
    > The Netbios ports on the Linksys router is only protected on the WAN and
    > not the LAN. There maybe some kind of routing issues with the protocols
    > in use and why I don't know.
    >
    > If all else fails, then one can use NWlink. ;-)
    >
    > Duane :)

    Still curious. If it isn't the xp firewall blocking, maybe they or one of
    the computers had another wonnabe-"firewall" like norton (antivirus, latest
    version, makes a nice one without customization possibilities for a
    network, forcing home-networked users to call expensive support and finally
    either trash the thing or upgrade - costly - to full internet security
    center) or zonealarm improperly configured ... or some others.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 20, 2006
  9. b

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in message
    > Duane Arnold wrote:

    >> However, on a Linksys router that was all wire, a person I worked with
    >> couldn't get the XP machines to network, until I mentioned NWlink.
    >>
    >> The Netbios ports on the Linksys router is only protected on the WAN and
    >> not the LAN. There maybe some kind of routing issues with the protocols
    >> in use and why I don't know.
    >>
    >> If all else fails, then one can use NWlink. ;-)
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Still curious. If it isn't the xp firewall blocking, maybe they or one of
    > the computers had another wonnabe-"firewall" like norton (antivirus,
    > latest
    > version, makes a nice one without customization possibilities for a
    > network, forcing home-networked users to call expensive support and
    > finally
    > either trash the thing or upgrade - costly - to full internet security
    > center) or zonealarm improperly configured ... or some others.

    If the ports are blocked, they are blocked by any host based packet
    filtering solution XP's FW or some other packet filtering solution. That's
    UDP 137-139 and TCP 445. So I don't see that as being the problem due to
    protocols being changed, as the ports would still be blocked.

    I'll have to go with what the OP indicated that there were no packet
    filtering FW solutions active.

    I have seen this problem too many times where the protocols in use for
    whatever reason didn't allow networking to occur and no PFW of any kind was
    active. The PFW(s) were not active in the wireless Linksys issue that I had
    .. The person I worked with that had issues with networking using his Linksys
    wire router at the time had no PFW active either.

    I'll give it that for whatever reason in a router firmware that routing of
    the protocols couldn't occur, which I have made the suggestion of using
    NWlink numerous times in the wireless NG(s) and that allowed the networking.
    The PFW in all cases were deactived.

    However, on the Linksys BEFW11S4 V1 router at the time, that was using
    Netbuei on the Win 2k machines, they were not going to network and that was
    a known issue.

    The solution that corrected the problem was to use NWlink and move on.

    It's simple.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 20, 2006
  10. b