    but I was wondering how it might be done.

    Thanks,
    bnfmsgeek

    bnfmsgeek, Aug 12, 2007

  2. bnfmsgeek

    Cub Guest

    "bnfmsgeek" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all....
    >
    > Just have a quick question. I recently acquired an old Gateway
    > computer (windows me, i think) and was wondering if I could connect it
    > to my Vista desktop computers, in a way which would make the act as
    > one supercomputer (distributed computing). I pretty sure its possible,
    > but I was wondering how it might be done.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > bnfmsgeek

    Try looking at this

    Cub, Aug 12, 2007

  3. bnfmsgeek

    olfart Guest

    "bnfmsgeek" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all....
    >
    > Just have a quick question. I recently acquired an old Gateway
    > computer (windows me, i think) and was wondering if I could connect it
    > to my Vista desktop computers, in a way which would make the act as
    > one supercomputer (distributed computing). I pretty sure its possible,
    > but I was wondering how it might be done.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > bnfmsgeek

    You have to combine the two. Open the Gateway and remove all the parts and
    cram them into the case of your new computer. You don't have to connect
    anything. Fire up the new Computer and Vista will find all The Gateway
    hardware and programs...just before it starts smoking.

    olfart, Aug 12, 2007
  4. bnfmsgeek

    bnfmsgeek Guest

    On Aug 12, 5:25 pm, "olfart" <> wrote:
    > "bnfmsgeek" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi all....

    > > Just have a quick question. I recently acquired an old Gateway
    > > computer (windows me, i think) and was wondering if I could connect it
    > > to my Vista desktop computers, in a way which would make the act as
    > > one supercomputer (distributed computing). I pretty sure its possible,
    > > but I was wondering how it might be done.

    > > Thanks,
    > > bnfmsgeek

    > You have to combine the two. Open the Gateway and remove all the parts and
    > cram them into the case of your new computer. You don't have to connect
    > anything. Fire up the new Computer and Vista will find all The Gateway
    > hardware and programs...just before it starts smoking.

    LOL..... seriously though, I've thought I've heard of this done before
    (but maybe on a larger scale. I mean that how data center work, right?

    bnfmsgeek, Aug 12, 2007
  5. bnfmsgeek

    Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

    --
    Personal Cell Phone Signal Blocker Device
    http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355~r.96035782

    , Aug 12, 2007
  6. bnfmsgeek

    PeeCee Guest

    "bnfmsgeek" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all....
    >
    > Just have a quick question. I recently acquired an old Gateway
    > computer (windows me, i think) and was wondering if I could connect it
    > to my Vista desktop computers, in a way which would make the act as
    > one supercomputer (distributed computing). I pretty sure its possible,
    > but I was wondering how it might be done.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > bnfmsgeek

    What you seek is possible in theory, but in reality it's like trying to
    combine two ordinary cars to make one super car.

    A more practical use is to use the Gateway for things like email and
    browsing the web leaving your Vista PC to concentrate on compiling Videos or
    playing graphics intensive games.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 13, 2007
  7. bnfmsgeek

    Jordan Guest

    bnfmsgeek wrote:

    > Just have a quick question. I recently acquired an old Gateway
    > computer (windows me, i think) and was wondering if I could connect it
    > to my Vista desktop computers, in a way which would make the act as
    > one supercomputer (distributed computing).

    If you want more performance, maybe you could put the spare hard drive
    in your other computer, and set it up as RAID 0.
    That's if your computer BIOS does RAID.

    This will behave like, but perform better than a single drive.
    You'd have to do it as a fresh install though, losing any existing data.

    Jordan, Aug 13, 2007
  8. bnfmsgeek wrote:

    > LOL..... seriously though, I've thought I've heard of this done before
    > (but maybe on a larger scale. I mean that how data center work, right?

    If you're just wanting to have some geeky fun, go ahead and try it. But
    that old WinME computer would add so little to your newer computer's
    processing power that it would make virtually no difference.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 13, 2007
  9. bnfmsgeek

    bnfmsgeek Guest

    On Aug 12, 6:57 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > bnfmsgeek wrote:
    > > LOL..... seriously though, I've thought I've heard of this done before
    > > (but maybe on a larger scale. I mean that how data center work, right?

    > If you're just wanting to have some geeky fun, go ahead and try it. But
    > that old WinME computer would add so little to your newer computer's
    > processing power that it would make virtually no difference.

    Hey guys. Just got this in my email... \

    "Easily done, really -- but NOT for your own tasks.
    Only for the programs for specific distributed computing projects.

    It takes quite a bit of tech to tell a computer how to separate tasks
    for separate processors -- and a lot more when the processor is in
    another unit. In addition, not all tasks can be divided usefully for
    such things.

    There are lots of systems that take advantage of the technology to
    combine efforts in the way you mean -- but none of them are under
    Windows. Windows seriously gets in the way, apparently.

    There are lots of projects that have done just what you are saying. I
    know of several that networked a few dozen Mac minis together for
    various projects -- but Apple and Mac OS are designed for that.
    Even in those cases, the project managers had to design networking
    tools to work very quickly, and clients for each system that would run
    the project software".

    I just wanted to let you know that I'm open to linux and other (free)
    oses. I'm just looking for some geeky fun (as one member pointed
    out) ..... Thanks to Penny for the link on Beowulf (sp?) clustering. I
    think I might set up a cluster in my room.

    bnfmsgeek, Aug 13, 2007