    the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the router
    in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
    somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?
    =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=, Aug 25, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    I would take the downstairs computers and put near the main computer (to
    rule out Distance problems), configure the connection and make it works.

    Once you make it working, move the computer back to its intended location.
    If it stops working you might have a Distance problem and you might need to
    extend the Wireless distance.

    The best Method to Extend Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific
    Envioroment.

    Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
    means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you envioroment
    best.

    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ascertain20" <> wrote in message
    > We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
    > basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
    > downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the

    living
    > room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
    > setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
    > internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook

    up

    Jack, Aug 25, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:54:01 -0700, Ascertain20 wrote:

    > We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
    > basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
    > downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the living
    > room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
    > setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
    > internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook up
    > the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the router
    > in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
    > somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

    One issue with vertical separation of the units is the nature of radio
    signal emission. Imagine dropping a doughnut on the antenna, so the antenna
    is poking up through the hole. The doughnut shows the radiated signal. You
    may need to reorient the antenna to angle that doughnut toward the basement
    location.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    N. Miller, Aug 25, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

    David {MVP} Guest

    However, when we hook up the router, the downstairs computer can access the
    IP address of the router in Internet Explorer.

    Unlike the others I hear you saying the wireless is working, or appears to
    be here. So tell me instead about how you are connecting to the internet? Is
    it a dial-up connection? Or do you have sometype of broadband connection
    connected to your wireless router? If you go to the computer downstairs and
    do | Start (menu) | Run | CMD click OK | Ping 199.41.238.41 do you see
    something like this;

    Pinging 199.41.238.41 with 32 bytes of data:

    Ping statistics for 199.41.238.41:

    or do you see something like this,
    Ping request could not find host 199.41.238.47. Please check the name and
    try again.

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    David {MVP}, Aug 25, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:58:42 -0400, David {MVP} wrote:

    > Is it a dial-up connection?

    The D-Link DI-524 Wireless router the OP mentioned does not have a means of
    connecting to a dial-up modem.

    http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=316&rid=1083&sec=0

    N. Miller, Aug 25, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

    Leroy Guest

    Do you have any cordless phones located in the vicinity of the computer
    having the connection problem?
    If you do, are they 2.4 ghz? If so, they will definetly interfere with the
    signal transmission betwee the router and computer.

    Leroy, Aug 25, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

    David {MVP} Guest

    I am well aware of that fact, that is why I asked the question. How the OP
    connects to the internet becomes important in this case. :) And while it may
    not attach physically to what most people think of when one says dial-up, it
    can be used with a dial-up connections sometimes.

    David {MVP}, Aug 25, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:39:33 -0400, David {MVP} wrote:

    > I am well aware of that fact, that is why I asked the question. How the OP
    > connects to the internet becomes important in this case. :) And while it may
    > not attach physically to what most people think of when one says dial-up, it
    > can be used with a dial-up connections sometimes.

    How does a router with no connection to a dial-up device make a dial-up
    connection?

    N. Miller, Aug 25, 2005
  9. "David {MVP}" wrote:

    > However, when we hook up the router, the downstairs computer can access the
    > IP address of the router in Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Unlike the others I hear you saying the wireless is working, or appears to
    > be here. So tell me instead about how you are connecting to the internet? Is
    > it a dial-up connection? Or do you have sometype of broadband connection
    > connected to your wireless router? If you go to the computer downstairs and
    > do | Start (menu) | Run | CMD click OK | Ping 199.41.238.41 do you see
    > something like this;
    >
    > Pinging 199.41.238.41 with 32 bytes of data:
    >
    > Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=237
    > Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=237
    > Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=237
    > Reply from 199.41.238.41: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=237
    >
    > Ping statistics for 199.41.238.41:
    > Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    > Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    > Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 70ms
    >
    > or do you see something like this,
    > Ping request could not find host 199.41.238.47. Please check the name and
    > try again.
    >

    > --
    > David {MVP}
    > Microsoft Mobile Devices
    > Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

    > benefit of all of us...
    > The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    > rights...
    >

    > Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    > their life by correcting me.
    >
    > "Ascertain20" <> wrote in message
    > > We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
    > > basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
    > > downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the
    > > living
    > > room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
    > > setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
    > > internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook
    > > up
    > > the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the
    > > router
    > > in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
    > > somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

    We have a cable modem connection. When the router is connected (it isn't
    right now) the computer in the basement can ping the router fine and it does
    do the shpiel you mentioned above. However, last monday we bought an antenna
    that's also from D-Link that's now attached to the PCI card in the downstairs
    computer. We're still having trouble getting the decent wireless internet
    connection going in the house on both computers, however, without the router
    hooked up on the living room computer, the internet works fine. Do we just
    start from scratch, take everything out, and try to figure out what to do
    from there?
    =?Utf-8?B?QXNjZXJ0YWluMjA=?=, Oct 15, 2005