2 APs, 1 LAN and a Notebook

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Stephan Polster, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. HI NG!

    I've a problem with my Notebook and WLAN.

    The environment is as follows:

    1 LAN where a Netgear WGT624 is installed with WLAN enabled. I've got a
    Notebook with WLAN enabled and connect to that WGT624 via WLAN, that works
    fine. The problem is, that the notbook is installed on a stacker in our
    warehouse and when he reached a far point in that warehouse the connection
    is lost. So I decided to install another WLAN Router WPN802 on the other far
    end of our warehouse. I installed 2 WLAN SIDs called "Point1" and "Point2".
    Now in network environment of the WLAN I can only say in the hierarchy first
    connect to "Point1" and second connect to "Point2" or use first "Point2" and
    then "Point1".

    The Notebook connects the the Point1 and when the connection is lost he does
    not automatically connect to Point2. When he is connected to Point2 and has
    lost communication he does not connect automatically to Point1. Is there
    anything I can do, that my Notebook always stays connected to LAN via WLAN
    whatever he is in range from?

    Please help.

    Best Regards.

    S.Polster
    Stephan Polster, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Try to make both AP have the same SSID. When the connection is lost to one
    AP, if the other AP is in range, the notebook will be roamed to the latter
    AP.

    Zhong Deng [MSFT], Aug 30, 2005