    can he actually have 2 connections to his Xtra account running at the same time?
    Apparently someone at the help desk said it was OK, but I thought otherwise?
    (Only 1 is set up at the moment). TIA

    Harry, May 26, 2005

  2. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > Oblivious to wireless and running 30 odd metres of ethernet cable not
    > being practical, my neighbour bought ADSL modems for both of his PC's. The
    > question is can he actually have 2 connections to his Xtra account running
    > at the same time? Apparently someone at the help desk said it was OK, but
    > I thought otherwise? (Only 1 is set up at the moment). TIA

    The subject says "2 ADSL modems" but then you speak of
    "2 connections".

    Which do you mean?

    You can connect 2 ADSL modems on the same line but it wont work.

    You should configure a PC as a gateway so that you can share
    access to the one solitary ADSL modem.

    Harry, May 26, 2005

  3. Harry

    EMB Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Harry wrote:

    >>Oblivious to wireless and running 30 odd metres of ethernet cable not
    >>being practical, my neighbour bought ADSL modems for both of his PC's. The

    >>question is can he actually have 2 connections to his Xtra account running
    >>at the same time? Apparently someone at the help desk said it was OK, but
    >>I thought otherwise? (Only 1 is set up at the moment). TIA

    > The subject says "2 ADSL modems" but then you speak of
    > "2 connections".
    >
    > Which do you mean?
    >
    > You can connect 2 ADSL modems on the same line but it wont work.
    >
    > You should configure a PC as a gateway so that you can share
    > access to the one solitary ADSL modem.

    And what has the OP explicitly stated is NOT an option - just what
    you've suggested (and I have highlighted above so as to increase your
    chances of comprehending what was written). You're back for 5 minutes
    and already behaving true to form.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, May 26, 2005
  4. Harry

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:08:50 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >Oblivious to wireless and running 30 odd metres of ethernet cable not being
    >practical, my neighbour bought ADSL modems for both of his PC's. The question is
    >can he actually have 2 connections to his Xtra account running at the same time?
    >Apparently someone at the help desk said it was OK, but I thought otherwise?
    >(Only 1 is set up at the moment). TIA

    Its No No & No

    You do need to connect them tro a Router or network the 2 compters together..

    The Router is a better way as only one computer needs to be on when needed..

    CSE, May 26, 2005
  5. Harry

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:02:04 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Harry wrote:
    >> Harry wrote:

    >>>Oblivious to wireless and running 30 odd metres of ethernet cable not
    >>>being practical, my neighbour bought ADSL modems for both of his PC's. The

    >>>question is can he actually have 2 connections to his Xtra account running
    >>>at the same time? Apparently someone at the help desk said it was OK, but
    >>>I thought otherwise? (Only 1 is set up at the moment). TIA

    >> The subject says "2 ADSL modems" but then you speak of
    >> "2 connections".
    >>
    >> Which do you mean?
    >>
    >> You can connect 2 ADSL modems on the same line but it wont work.
    >>
    >> You should configure a PC as a gateway so that you can share
    >> access to the one solitary ADSL modem.

    >And what has the OP explicitly stated is NOT an option - just what
    >you've suggested (and I have highlighted above so as to increase your
    >chances of comprehending what was written). You're back for 5 minutes
    >and already behaving true to form.

    Why not leave the chap alone, he asked a simple questing so why turn it into
    a witch hunt..

    CSE, May 26, 2005
  6. Harry

    Harry Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> Harry wrote:

    >>>Oblivious to wireless and running 30 odd metres of ethernet cable not
    >>>being practical, my neighbour bought ADSL modems for both of his PC's.
    >>>The

    >>>question is can he actually have 2 connections to his Xtra account
    >>>running at the same time? Apparently someone at the help desk said it was
    >>>OK, but I thought otherwise? (Only 1 is set up at the moment). TIA

    >> The subject says "2 ADSL modems" but then you speak of
    >> "2 connections".
    >>
    >> Which do you mean?
    >>
    >> You can connect 2 ADSL modems on the same line but it wont work.
    >>
    >> You should configure a PC as a gateway so that you can share
    >> access to the one solitary ADSL modem.

    > And what has the OP explicitly stated is NOT an option - just what
    > you've suggested (and I have highlighted above so as to increase your
    > chances of comprehending what was written). You're back for 5 minutes
    > and already behaving true to form.

    Yes, I read that.
    But "2 connections" doesn't necessarily imply "2 modems".
    You see it is sometimes possible to establish multiple logical
    connections via the one modem. That is, multiple PPPoA or PPPoE
    PAP-authenticated sessions.

    But that you for enlightening us all with your superior knowledge
    and fresh accusations.

    Harry, May 26, 2005
  7. Harry

    Richard Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > Yes, I read that.
    > But "2 connections" doesn't necessarily imply "2 modems".
    > You see it is sometimes possible to establish multiple logical
    > connections via the one modem. That is, multiple PPPoA or PPPoE
    > PAP-authenticated sessions.
    >
    > But that you for enlightening us all with your superior knowledge
    > and fresh accusations.

    Except out backwards adsl network wont support that :(

    Richard, May 26, 2005
  8. Harry

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Oblivious to wireless and running 30 odd metres of ethernet cable not being
    > practical, my neighbour bought ADSL modems for both of his PC's. The question is
    > can he actually have 2 connections to his Xtra account running at the same time?
    > Apparently someone at the help desk said it was OK, but I thought otherwise?
    > (Only 1 is set up at the moment). TIA

    I know of a network setup like this - they use two (seperate) ADSL phone
    lines. They have a segmented network and put traffic from each
    line/router across each segment.

    But no, you can't put two routers on the one line.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, May 27, 2005
  9. Harry

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:08:50 +1200, Harry wrote:

    > Oblivious to wireless and running 30 odd metres of ethernet cable not being
    > practical, my neighbour bought ADSL modems for both of his PC's.

    So educate him about wireless and/or ethernet. Throw in networking while
    you are at it. ;-)

    Gordon, May 27, 2005