2.4x Tele-conv. on A80?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DHB, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. DHB

    DHB Guest

    To Canon A80 owners,

    Has anyone tried using the Canon 2.4x tele-converter from a A40/A60/A70
    on their A80? Yes, I know that Canon lists a lower magnification (1.75x)
    tele-converter for the A80 & probably due to the larger CCD sensor used in
    the A80.

    However if anybody out there has upgraded from an A40/A60/A70, has the
    2.4x tele-converter & tried it on the A80 I would be very interested to know
    what the picture quality/results were.

    The A40/A60/A70/A80 all have optional lens/body adapters that end in a
    standard 52mm filter size to allow filters or other lens accessories to be
    used so this is a simple test if 1 has an A80, the optional lens/body
    adapter & the 2.4x tele-converter. I have the A40, A70, the optional
    lens/body adapters & the Canon 2.4x tele-converter but not the A80.

    This is a mater of curiosity to me because the A80 is not in my plans
    but then who knows what Santa might bring? OK, so I am dreaming but
    sometimes dreams do come true!

    Thanks in advance to all.

    Respectfully, DHB
    DHB, Nov 11, 2003

  2. DHB

    DHB Guest

    Zol,
    thanks for the input, you are a regular here & I have learned a lot
    from reading your posts. For me there are 3 big reasons why I don't plan on
    buying an A80 to test this idea:

    <1> I have an A70 & it serves me well when I need a "smallish" camera
    for most situations. Had I not already purchased the A70 to supplement my
    A40's use I would have purchased the A80 instead.

    <2> I have a G2 which is almost exactly the same as the A80 but with as
    you stated a larger & faster lens. Each camera has some advantages over the
    other but not enough for me to justify spending about $380.00 USD on an A80.

    <3> Purchased a Digital Rebel & accessories which depleted my budget &
    then some. Thus, no money for more toys for a long time for me!

    Just wondering if anybody out there has tried the Canon 2.4x
    tele-converter on the A80 because it seems to me like it should do OK.
    Maybe the picture quality with the Canon 2.4x tele-converter was just not
    good enough for Canon so they came out with the 1.75x instead?

    It's just 1 of those, "it's going to bother me until I find out the
    answer" type of questions!

    Respectfully, DHB

    "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote in message
    > I have tried the Canon tele-convertor on a G5 but even at it`s maximum

    zoom there is darkening of the edges (okay if you want to crop your image)
    but this is mainly due to a larger front lens on the G5 compared to an A70 -
    by the looks of the A80 the front lens seams smaller(?) than the A70 (
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/psa80/img/1001/1001_02.jpg ), just by going
    on this alone it should work but I don`t have an A80 to try it out on.

    > For your information, the rear of the Canon 2.4x teleconvertor lens has

    quite a small lens element and the Canon teleconvertor for the G3/G5 has a
    larger element but a lower rating 1.8x.

    > You may be able to use a 3rd party teleconvertor lens to better effect if

    the >2.0x is important to you

    DHB, Nov 11, 2003