2.4X, 4X, 8X DVD+R blank discs???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mr. Moe, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Mr. Moe

    Mr. Moe Guest

    Mr. Moe, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Mr. Moe

    Biz Guest

    "Mr. Moe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all three in

    my
    > recorder?

    Properly supported writing speeds. I dont know, whats your recorder
    make/model? I would first try the disks they recommend in the manual or the
    manufacturers website.

    Biz, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Mr. Moe

    Mr. Moe Guest

    My recorder is an RCA model #DRC8295N. I just bought some TDK blank +R discs at
    Best Buy. 50 for $19.99...I bought four bundles.
    _________________________________

    Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
    http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

    Mr. Moe, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Mr. Moe

    Joe S Guest

    "Mr. Moe" wrote:

    > My recorder is an RCA model #DRC8295N. I just bought some TDK blank +R discs at
    > Best Buy. 50 for $19.99...I bought four bundles.
    > _________________________________
    >
    > Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
    > http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

    That's not a horrible price. In another thread I surmise that your recorder records
    at 2.4x. So, spending any extra money on 8x or 16x media would be a waste. Check
    the specs to make sure.

    Joe

    Joe S, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Mr. Moe

    Mr. Moe Guest

    Mr. Moe, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Mr. Moe

    Joe S Guest

    "Mr. Moe" wrote:

    > The TDK discs state on the wrapper they are 8X.
    > __________________________________
    >
    > Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
    > http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

    That's a good price for 8x and should take care of your needs quite
    well. However, for future reference you should figure out your recorders
    write speed so that if it's 2.4x (or even 4x) that you don't spend extra
    money to get 8x.

    I'm sure you weren't planning on it, but don't open the other 3 packs
    until you verify that these discs work great in your recorder. They more
    than likely will do fine.

    Joe

    Joe S, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Mr. Moe

    Mr. Moe Guest

    Mr. Moe, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Mr. Moe wrote:
    > What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all
    > three in my recorder?

    Those numbers only matter with PC based DVD burners. Home componet
    based units (like the RCA one your wife got you) won't be affeted by the
    disc being a 2.4x or 8x or whatever. For people like you just look for the
    best deal on a reliable brand media (like the TDK ones you got).

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Owner of a Pioneer DVR-108

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Mr. Moe

    Joe S Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

    > Mr. Moe wrote:
    > > What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all
    > > three in my recorder?

    > Those numbers only matter with PC based DVD burners. Home componet
    > based units (like the RCA one your wife got you) won't be affeted by the
    > disc being a 2.4x or 8x or whatever. For people like you just look for the
    > best deal on a reliable brand media (like the TDK ones you got).

    Can you please explain what you mean? Is it because they only record to DVD at
    video playback speed...that there is no direct hard drive to DVD capability
    where it could actually go "faster"?

    Joe

    Joe S, Dec 8, 2004
  10. Joe S wrote:
    > Can you please explain what you mean? Is it because they only record
    > to DVD at video playback speed...that there is no direct hard drive
    > to DVD capability where it could actually go "faster"?

    On home componet based burners (aka set top unit) from my memory
    they burn at video playback speed. I'm not sure on the set top units that
    also function as TiVo units if the burning speed will be any faster (ie:
    2.4x,
    etc), but for the average person who just wants to record something to
    a DVD then a set top unit will work just fine.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Who prefers to use his PC for DVD authoring.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Dec 9, 2004
  11. Mr. Moe

    Joe S Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

    > Joe S wrote:
    > > Can you please explain what you mean? Is it because they only record
    > > to DVD at video playback speed...that there is no direct hard drive
    > > to DVD capability where it could actually go "faster"?

    > On home componet based burners (aka set top unit) from my memory
    > they burn at video playback speed. I'm not sure on the set top units that
    > also function as TiVo units if the burning speed will be any faster (ie:
    > 2.4x,
    > etc), but for the average person who just wants to record something to
    > a DVD then a set top unit will work just fine.
    >
    > Brian The Demolition Man Little
    > Who prefers to use his PC for DVD authoring.

    Gotcha....that makes sense. I wonder why the machine spec says it writes at
    2.4x?

    Joe

    Joe S, Dec 10, 2004
  12. Joe S wrote:
    > Gotcha....that makes sense. I wonder why the machine spec says it
    > writes at
    > 2.4x?

    That's strange indeed.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Dec 11, 2004
  13. "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    > Mr. Moe wrote:
    > > What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all
    > > three in my recorder?

    > Those numbers only matter with PC based DVD burners. Home componet
    > based units (like the RCA one your wife got you) won't be affeted by the
    > disc being a 2.4x or 8x or whatever. For people like you just look for the
    > best deal on a reliable brand media (like the TDK ones you got).

    I have a DVD-R set top recorder and it won't accept the 8X DVD-R
    discs...this sucks!

    Why Am I here?, Dec 11, 2004
  14. Mr. Moe

    Nobody Guest

    Re: 2.4X, 4X, 8X DVD+R blank discs??? -- To Mr. Moe

    If you have an older 2.4X DVD+R/RW drive then you can probably
    only use 2.4X media unless you have updated the BIOS. I have
    even heard rumor of damage to 2.4X units that attempt to use 4X
    or 8X media - although I find this a bit difficult to imagine -
    but since that rumor comes from a manufacturer's website I do
    give it a little creedence. I'd guess that a good general rule
    would be don't buy media that's faster than your drive's top
    speed. With today's new 16X DVD+/-RW units that's not a problem
    as I haven't even seen 16X media - however, some of them will
    burn at 16X using 12X media (wherever you get that from). We
    have a Philips DVD985A set-top DVD+RW that uses 2.4X media and
    it won't handle the 4X DVD+R discs at all; in fact it just locks
    up with an error after about 5 minutes of recording, and I can't
    get it to accept the firmware upgrade either.

    Nobody, Dec 11, 2004
  15. Mr. Moe

    Joe S Guest

    Why Am I here? wrote:

    > "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    > > Mr. Moe wrote:
    > > > What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all
    > > > three in my recorder?

    > > Those numbers only matter with PC based DVD burners. Home componet
    > > based units (like the RCA one your wife got you) won't be affeted by the
    > > disc being a 2.4x or 8x or whatever. For people like you just look for the
    > > best deal on a reliable brand media (like the TDK ones you got).
    > >

    > I have a DVD-R set top recorder and it won't accept the 8X DVD-R
    > discs...this sucks!

    Not all blank media are created equal. Some drives/recorders only play with
    certain brands of media.

    Check with Emerson to find out what media they are qualified for. Odds are the
    list will include some very expensive discs, but if that's what you need to be
    sure, I guess that's what you need.

    Joe

    Joe S, Dec 11, 2004
  16. Mr. Moe

    67chevyman

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    RCA DRC8295N

    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with Brian. The RCA DVD Recorder combo will not burn with 16x DVDs, or anything higher than 8x. It has to be 2.4x, 4x. or 8x.
    Been there - bought too many disks that won't burn - gonna start a Blank DVD store.

    67chevyman, Jan 18, 2012