2.4ghz cordless desktop set

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Legend-11, Nov 29, 2009.

  1. Legend-11

    Legend-11 Guest

    I'm new to wireless having just got my 2.4ghz wireless G router set from
    Virginmedia. While waiting for it to arrive, I mentioned on a couple of
    forums that I had a 2.4ghz Logitech Pro 2800 cordless desktop set
    (keyboard and mouse), and was immediately inundated with people telling
    me to go straight out and "buy a wired mouse and keyboard", or "a
    cordless set that uses Bluetooth", as it would "definitely interfere
    with your new router". I asked if this was really necessary, as I really
    liked this desktop set and had spent a considerable amount of money on
    it, and I was told it was. Anyway, I listened to my instinct and played
    a wait and see approach. I'm glad I did, as I have now set up my
    wireless network, and the desktop set, sitting a just couple of feet
    away from the wireless router, has done nothing at all to interfere with
    my connection. So I Googled around on the subject, and found that people
    who have a stand-alone 2.4ghz keyboard or mouse usually run into
    problems with 2.4ghz routers, but so far I've not heard of anyone who
    bought a '2.4ghz desktop set' running into issues. As it mentions
    "pre-paired" in the specs of my cordless desktop literature, I'm left
    wondering if that has anything to do with it? Perhaps the keyboard,
    mouse and receiver don't do all the channel hopping that other 2.4ghz
    devices do as they're all paired up already?

    Yes, I know I should just be happy that I don't have to dump the best
    keyboard and mouse I've ever used, and that I should simply shut-up and
    enjoy my new wire free life.....but I'm just so curious as literally
    everyone told me that I wouldn't be able to get them to co-exist with my
    2.4ghz router. Are my above suspicions about them being "pre-paired"
    correct, do you think?

    Thanks.
    --
    Legend-11
    Legend-11, Nov 29, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Legend-11

    Rick Guest

    Legend-11 wrote:
    > I'm new to wireless having just got my 2.4ghz wireless G router set from
    > Virginmedia. While waiting for it to arrive, I mentioned on a couple of
    > forums that I had a 2.4ghz Logitech Pro 2800 cordless desktop set
    > (keyboard and mouse), and was immediately inundated with people telling
    > me to go straight out and "buy a wired mouse and keyboard", or "a
    > cordless set that uses Bluetooth", as it would "definitely interfere
    > with your new router". I asked if this was really necessary, as I really
    > liked this desktop set and had spent a considerable amount of money on
    > it, and I was told it was. Anyway, I listened to my instinct and played
    > a wait and see approach. I'm glad I did, as I have now set up my
    > wireless network, and the desktop set, sitting a just couple of feet
    > away from the wireless router, has done nothing at all to interfere with
    > my connection. So I Googled around on the subject, and found that people
    > who have a stand-alone 2.4ghz keyboard or mouse usually run into
    > problems with 2.4ghz routers, but so far I've not heard of anyone who
    > bought a '2.4ghz desktop set' running into issues. As it mentions
    > "pre-paired" in the specs of my cordless desktop literature, I'm left
    > wondering if that has anything to do with it? Perhaps the keyboard,
    > mouse and receiver don't do all the channel hopping that other 2.4ghz
    > devices do as they're all paired up already?
    >
    > Yes, I know I should just be happy that I don't have to dump the best
    > keyboard and mouse I've ever used, and that I should simply shut-up and
    > enjoy my new wire free life.....but I'm just so curious as literally
    > everyone told me that I wouldn't be able to get them to co-exist with my
    > 2.4ghz router. Are my above suspicions about them being "pre-paired"
    > correct, do you think?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I am using a Logitech wire less mouse and keyboard and so is my wife we
    have not had any problems with our wireless-- I am guessing you will not
    have any problem. In any event I sure would not go out a buy a wired
    keyboard/mouse until I saw a problem.
    Rick, Nov 29, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Legend-11

    Legend-11 Guest

    Rick wrote:
    >
    > I am using a Logitech wire less mouse and keyboard and so is my wife we
    > have not had any problems with our wireless-- I am guessing you will not
    > have any problem. In any event I sure would not go out a buy a wired
    > keyboard/mouse until I saw a problem.


    But a lot of Logitech devices use 27mhz (usually the least expensive
    ranges) .....apparently it is only 2.4ghz devices that can cause you
    grief, as they're competing on the same frequencies as 2.4ghz routers. I
    believe 27mhz are the cheaper Logitech range, 2.4ghz the middle range
    and the ridiculously priced Bluetooth the higher range. I have a Pro
    2800 set and it is 2.4ghz....as is my new router.

    Oh fear not, if it stays like this I'll be keeping this keyboard and
    mouse. You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers. I sent two other
    sets back until I found one I got on with. I do a lot of typing, so a
    good keyboard is important to me. :)

    --
    Legend-11
    Legend-11, Nov 29, 2009
    #3
  4. Hi
    In general the 2.4GHz peripheral use another part of the 2.4GHz band and
    thus they do not interfere with Wireless Network component. Some off brand
    hardware that is badly made might.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    "Legend-11" <> wrote in message
    news:hesjj0$kpb$-september.org...
    > I'm new to wireless having just got my 2.4ghz wireless G router set from
    > Virginmedia. While waiting for it to arrive, I mentioned on a couple of
    > forums that I had a 2.4ghz Logitech Pro 2800 cordless desktop set
    > (keyboard and mouse), and was immediately inundated with people telling me
    > to go straight out and "buy a wired mouse and keyboard", or "a cordless
    > set that uses Bluetooth", as it would "definitely interfere with your new
    > router". I asked if this was really necessary, as I really liked this
    > desktop set and had spent a considerable amount of money on it, and I was
    > told it was. Anyway, I listened to my instinct and played a wait and see
    > approach. I'm glad I did, as I have now set up my wireless network, and
    > the desktop set, sitting a just couple of feet away from the wireless
    > router, has done nothing at all to interfere with my connection. So I
    > Googled around on the subject, and found that people who have a
    > stand-alone 2.4ghz keyboard or mouse usually run into problems with 2.4ghz
    > routers, but so far I've not heard of anyone who bought a '2.4ghz desktop
    > set' running into issues. As it mentions "pre-paired" in the specs of my
    > cordless desktop literature, I'm left wondering if that has anything to do
    > with it? Perhaps the keyboard, mouse and receiver don't do all the channel
    > hopping that other 2.4ghz devices do as they're all paired up already?
    >
    > Yes, I know I should just be happy that I don't have to dump the best
    > keyboard and mouse I've ever used, and that I should simply shut-up and
    > enjoy my new wire free life.....but I'm just so curious as literally
    > everyone told me that I wouldn't be able to get them to co-exist with my
    > 2.4ghz router. Are my above suspicions about them being "pre-paired"
    > correct, do you think?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Legend-11
    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 1, 2009
    #4
  5. Legend-11

    Legend-11 Guest

    Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
    > Hi
    > In general the 2.4GHz peripheral use another part of the 2.4GHz band and
    > thus they do not interfere with Wireless Network component. Some off
    > brand hardware that is badly made might.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >


    That's handy to know, thanks. I still find it odd that so many people
    warned me I'd struggle - perhaps their fears were based on earlier
    2.4ghz peripherals? I dug further into this - and I discovered that
    Logitech talk of 'Advanced 2.4ghz' in their product literature, and my
    set carries this unique 'Advanced 2.4ghz' logo. They talk of several
    similar pieces of equipment communicating in a small environment (such
    as an office) with no interference from one and other. They mean you
    could purchase several of the same model wireless desktop sets for use
    in an office, but each keyboard and mouse will ignore all but their own
    respective USB receiver. They say each receiver has a unique code, with
    no two identical codes ever leaving the factory. If they ignore other
    receivers, I'm presuming they'll ignore routers. See here:

    http://www.logitech.com/images/pdf/roem/Advanced_24_Unifying_FINAL070709.pdf

    So there you have it.

    I hope this thread serves the archives well, and no one is duped into
    spending £100+ for a Bluetooth wireless desktop...as I came very close
    to paying it serious attention.

    --
    Legend-11
    Legend-11, Dec 1, 2009
    #5
  6. Hi
    The issue is really the sloppy way that we communicate.
    Every one calls it 2.4GHz, I do not think that there is any device that
    uses 2.400000 GHz
    One device might use 2.41GHz the other 2.42GHz etc.
    It is like we would call all the houses on Downing street No. 10, ignoring
    that there is more than one house there.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).


    "Legend-11" <> wrote in message
    news:hf2n86$vjl$-september.org...
    > Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> In general the 2.4GHz peripheral use another part of the 2.4GHz band and
    >> thus they do not interfere with Wireless Network component. Some off
    >> brand hardware that is badly made might.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >
    > That's handy to know, thanks. I still find it odd that so many people
    > warned me I'd struggle - perhaps their fears were based on earlier 2.4ghz
    > peripherals? I dug further into this - and I discovered that Logitech talk
    > of 'Advanced 2.4ghz' in their product literature, and my set carries this
    > unique 'Advanced 2.4ghz' logo. They talk of several similar pieces of
    > equipment communicating in a small environment (such as an office) with no
    > interference from one and other. They mean you could purchase several of
    > the same model wireless desktop sets for use in an office, but each
    > keyboard and mouse will ignore all but their own respective USB receiver.
    > They say each receiver has a unique code, with no two identical codes ever
    > leaving the factory. If they ignore other receivers, I'm presuming they'll
    > ignore routers. See here:
    >
    > http://www.logitech.com/images/pdf/roem/Advanced_24_Unifying_FINAL070709.pdf
    >
    > So there you have it.
    >
    > I hope this thread serves the archives well, and no one is duped into
    > spending £100+ for a Bluetooth wireless desktop...as I came very close to
    > paying it serious attention.
    >
    > --
    > Legend-11
    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 1, 2009
    #6
  7. Legend-11

    Legend-11 Guest

    Frankster wrote:
    >> That's handy to know, thanks. I still find it odd that so many people
    >> warned me I'd struggle

    >
    > I've never had an issue with a wireless router and mouse combination.
    >
    > However, I DID have to replace my 2.4GHz cordless PHONES with 5.8GHz
    > phones. Everytime I would be on a call at the keyboard with my 2.4GHz
    > cordless phone my mouse would stop working. Makes it kinda tough for
    > those computer support calls...LOL.
    >
    > -Frank


    Yes, I've heard they caused nightmares. Luckily we have phones that use
    the DECT 6.0 protocol.

    Microwaves can make your connection a little giddy too, or so I'm told.

    --
    Legend-11
    Legend-11, Dec 7, 2009
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jameson
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    442
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Nov 19, 2003
  2. Jeff Conescu

    ROWA laptop 1.4Ghz Pentium-M for only $999 Australian?

    Jeff Conescu, Jan 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    750
    Jeff Conescu
    Jan 14, 2005
  3. dennis meissner

    passive repeater with 2.4ghz wireless

    dennis meissner, May 14, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    4,321
  4. -=[Waylon Smithers]=-

    Anyone had problems with 2.4ghz stuff and cordless phones ?

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 21, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    811
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Nov 22, 2004
  5. Paul
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    677
Loading...

Share This Page