    down the door and beating their phone with a hammer (or asking them to get a
    different one), what can I do about it?
    Thanks!
    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vv?=, Sep 18, 2004

  2. you can try reducing the fragmentation threshold and RTS/CTS threshold

    I set mine to 2321 and 2309 respectively and stabilised the network
    considerably without affecting performance very much.

    This applies to all parts of the network. Router,cards etc.

    But the interference may be too severe for this to solve the problem. YMMV.

    hth

    philip ashley

    "geo" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > I live in an apartment building and have had a flawless running wireless
    > network for months. Recently I've been getting dropped connections, which

    is
    > extremely frustrating. My guess is that a neighbour has picked up a 2.4

    Ghz
    > phone, and when they use it, it zaps my connection.
    > I've tried changing the channel from 6, to 11, to 1. No difference. (I'm
    > using a linksys wrt54g btw)
    > Is is possible that a neighbours phone could cause this much interference?
    > How close does the phone have to be to cause interference? Short of

    breaking

    philip ashley, Sep 18, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vv?=

    Jeff Durham Guest

    My guess is that if you are using Windows XP, it is more likely that someone
    has added a wireless network. Do you see any new SSIDs showing up in your
    wireless networks? If that is the case, there are several things you can
    do.

    -- Be sure your SSID is unique.
    -- Be sure you are broadcasting your SSID (Windows XP has a problem if it is
    not in this case)
    -- Disable the option to allow Windows to manage your wireless settings and
    stop and disable the wireless zero configuration service. By doing this
    assumes that your wireless adapter has its own configuration program that
    you will need to use.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 19, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vv?=

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Also, I meant to mention that you could try a different channel. Try 1, 6,
    or 11. These are the only non-overlapping channels.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 19, 2004
  5. I am using XP Pro. When I scan for wireless networks, mine is the only one
    that appears. Would another network interfere if they weren't broadcasting
    their SSID? I am broadcasting mine, and it is unique.
    Do you have more details regarding the wireless zero thing... I've never
    heard of it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vv?=, Sep 19, 2004
  6. Hi Jeff,
    They are non overlapping when used with each other, but so are 2 and
    7. The trick is to find a channel that does not overlap with what the
    other 2.4GHz device is using. So if the other network is using channel
    3, you'd have to use 8.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Sep 19, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vv?=

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Do a google newsgroup search of this group for "wireless zero
    configuration". You will see plenty of postings for it. You could add my
    name to the search as well. :)

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 20, 2004
  8. i've got sort of the same problem, but i've got the phone downstairs.
    and when i take my laptop downstairs, it just disconnects. i have 3 wireless
    connections showing in the windows wireless connection window. how do i know
    which one to delete and which one to keep?

    i've got a belkins wireless router, with a wireless card on my laptop.

    thanx

    devin

    Devin Panchal, Sep 21, 2004
  9. Hmmm..I wonder what type of phone your neighbor has.

    I have a 2.4G phone system also and I get no interference w/ my laptop
    and pda streaming data and music. I have the following wireless settings:

    beacon int: 100ms
    rts thres: 2346
    frag: 2346
    dtim int: 1
    short preamble, no broadcast, auto cts mode, superg w/o turbo 802.11g
    only mode off.

    I use dhcp and static address w/ mac filtering, but that may not affect
    your situation.

    Good luck-I hope you get it resolved; this networking stuff is fun when
    you get it to work;-)

    Warren Bryant, Sep 24, 2004