    equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
    - not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
    Thanks.
    Dryb66, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Dryb66

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 19 Dec 2003 01:35:40 GMT, (Dryb66) wrote:

    >With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
    >equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
    >- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
    >Thanks.

    Check out the newest Epson flatbed scanners
    with transparency adapters.

    Of if you've got more $ to throw at it, check out
    the LS-8000 or LS-9000 from Nikon.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Dec 19, 2003

  3. Dryb66

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Dryb66" <> wrote in message
    > With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably

    economical
    > equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it

    myself
    > - not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
    > Thanks.

    For about $300 a Epson 3200 flatbed scanner....adequate
    For about $1500 a Nikon LS 8000...superior

    Jim Waggener, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Dryb66

    Mark Herring Guest

    On 19 Dec 2003 01:35:40 GMT, (Dryb66) wrote:

    >With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
    >equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
    >- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
    >Thanks.

    Watch out for dynamic range on the flatbeds. Many are in the high
    3's, whereas the good film scanners are mid to high 4's. Normally,
    chromes need high dynamic range.

    In the LA area, the Nikon 8000 rents for $100 per day. This is the
    route I will take for a bunch of my stuff
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Dryb66

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:55:17 -0500, "Jim Waggener" <>
    wrote:

    >"Dryb66" <> wrote in message
    >> With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably

    >economical
    >> equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it

    >myself
    >> - not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >For about $300 a Epson 3200 flatbed scanner....adequate
    >For about $1500 a Nikon LS 8000...superior

    Ummmmmmm---shopper.cnet.com: Prices from 1800 to 2700

    **************************
    Mark Herring, Dec 19, 2003
  6. In article <>, dryb66
    @aol.com says...
    > With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
    > equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
    > - not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
    > Thanks.

    The Epson 3200 has been the favorite choice recently, it is being
    replaced by the 4870 over the next few months. I would hold out for
    the new model.
    Resolution of the 3200 is more like 1800dpi which will give about
    6x enlargement for an inkjet print. There are no comparisons between
    the 3200 and the new model yet, but it is supposed to be better.

    --
    Robert D Feinman

    Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramas and Photoshop Tips
    http://robertdfeinman.com
    Robert Feinman, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Dryb66

    RogM Guest

    On 19 Dec 2003 01:35:40 GMT, (Dryb66) wrote:

    >With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably economical
    >equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I want to do it myself
    >- not send it out - so any scanner recommendations?
    >Thanks.

    Minolta Dimage Multi-Format scanners can usually be found for around
    $300 (refurb's).
    RogM, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Dryb66

    Tom Nelson Guest

    There's pixels and then there's pixels. In my experience, any dedicated
    film scanner will give a significantly sharper, more detailed image
    than any flatbed, even at the same pixel size. How big a print do you
    want to make, and what quality?

    Tom Nelson, Dec 19, 2003
  9. Dryb66

    Tom Nelson Guest

    In article <>, RogM
    <> wrote:

    > Minolta Dimage Multi-Format scanners can usually be found for around
    > $300 (refurb's).

    It's dual format all right: 35mm and APS. Have you looked at the Nikon
    Super Coolscan 4000? About $1100.
    Tom Nelson, Dec 19, 2003
  10. > The Epson 3200 has been the favorite choice recently, it is being
    > replaced by the 4870 over the next few months. I would hold out for
    > the new model.

    And the 4870 has Digital Ice so it would probably be worth the wait.

    http://www.epson.com.au/products/corporate/perfection4870P.asp

    --
    Ed Fortmiller | | Hudson MA
    *
    Ed Fortmiller, Dec 19, 2003
  11. On Thursday 18 December 2003 17:35, Dryb66 wrote:

    > With a collection of 2 1/4 mounted slides, what's a good reasonably
    > economical equipment / price solution to transfer them to digital. I
    > want to do it myself - not send it out - so any scanner
    > recommendations? Thanks.

    If this a one-time-only thing, I'd rent a film scanner or find someone,
    who has one, and will let you use it for free or a small fee.

    If, however, this will be an ongoing project, I'd check eBay for a used
    film scanner. I see the Minolta Dimage Multi Scan going for around
    $250 - $350 US, when there's one listed; but it might not have enough
    resolution for you: 2820 dpi for 35mm and smaller; 1128 dpi for medium
    format; 12-bit per color -- 36-bit total.

    Or for a little bit more -- $100 to $200, you can get a 48-bit, 2400 to
    3600 dpi +- flatbed scanner with a built-in transparency adapter that
    will take up to 4x5 chromes. I remember seeing one that would take up
    to 8x10 chromes, but it was $1200 or so.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group
    Stefan Patric, Dec 19, 2003
  12. Dryb66

    RogM Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:13:41 -0600, Tom Nelson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, RogM
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Minolta Dimage Multi-Format scanners can usually be found for around
    >> $300 (refurb's).

    >It's dual format all right: 35mm and APS. Have you looked at the Nikon
    >Super Coolscan 4000? About $1100.

    I'm sorry, but you seem to be referring to the Minolta DiMage Dualscan
    or something else. The one I'm talking about (Minolta Dimage
    Multi-Format) unit is intended to be used with both 35mm and 2-1/4
    filmstock. Here are the specs in brief:

    * High - end personal , inexpensive, professional film scanner

    * Scans 35mm, medium-format, APS and even 16mm.

    * 2820 dpi resolution (32meg file from 35mm neg) 1128 dpi for
    medium-format scans.

    * 12 bits per channel, 3.6 Dmax

    * Software accommodates beginners and experts
    RogM, Dec 20, 2003