    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Oct 27, 2007

  2. elaich

    Ed Mullen Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > I always use as my home page a mere blue blank page, which I call
    > internet.html, and is stored in my root directory.
    >
    > Previous versions of Firefox had no trouble using this as my home page.
    > But, 2.0.0.8 can't! If I click on Home, I get a timeout box saying that
    > "Firefox can't find the server at www.c.com."
    >
    > In Options, the file is correctly shown as file:///c:internet.html, but
    > Firefox thinks it's a web page.

    If that really is the URL you are missing a slash after the "c:"

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 27, 2007

  3. elaich

    elaich Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote in

    > elaich wrote:
    >> I always use as my home page a mere blue blank page, which I call
    >> internet.html, and is stored in my root directory.
    >>
    >> Previous versions of Firefox had no trouble using this as my home page.
    >> But, 2.0.0.8 can't! If I click on Home, I get a timeout box saying that
    >> "Firefox can't find the server at www.c.com."
    >>
    >> In Options, the file is correctly shown as file:///c:internet.html, but
    >> Firefox thinks it's a web page.
    >>

    > If that really is the URL you are missing a slash after the "c:"

    The slash is there. Just forgot it.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Oct 28, 2007
  4. elaich

    dino Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > I always use as my home page a mere blue blank page, which I call
    > internet.html, and is stored in my root directory.
    >
    > Previous versions of Firefox had no trouble using this as my home page.
    > But, 2.0.0.8 can't! If I click on Home, I get a timeout box saying that
    > "Firefox can't find the server at www.c.com."
    >
    > In Options, the file is correctly shown as file:///c:internet.html, but
    > Firefox thinks it's a web page.

    I know it's not exactly what you've asked but you can set FF to open
    with a blank page when you start it up each time. Is that what you want
    or is there another use?

    dino, Oct 28, 2007
  5. elaich

    Ed Mullen Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in
    >
    >> elaich wrote:
    >>> I always use as my home page a mere blue blank page, which I call
    >>> internet.html, and is stored in my root directory.
    >>>
    >>> Previous versions of Firefox had no trouble using this as my home page.
    >>> But, 2.0.0.8 can't! If I click on Home, I get a timeout box saying that
    >>> "Firefox can't find the server at www.c.com."
    >>>
    >>> In Options, the file is correctly shown as file:///c:internet.html, but
    >>> Firefox thinks it's a web page.
    >>>

    >> If that really is the URL you are missing a slash after the "c:"
    >>

    > The slash is there. Just forgot it.

    It works here just fine. The format is:

    file:///[drive]:/[path]/[filename]

    The easy way to make sure your path is correct is:

    File
    Open File
    Navigate to the folder/path where your home page is stored on your local
    drive
    Open the file so it appears in Firefox
    Tools
    Click the "Main" tab
    For "When Firefox starts" make sure it shows "Show my home page"
    Click "Use Current Page"
    Click OK

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 28, 2007
  6. elaich

    elaich Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote in

    > It works here just fine. The format is:
    >
    > file:///[drive]:/[path]/[filename]
    >
    > The easy way to make sure your path is correct is:
    >
    > File
    > Open File
    > Navigate to the folder/path where your home page is stored on your local
    > drive
    > Open the file so it appears in Firefox
    > Tools
    > Click the "Main" tab
    > For "When Firefox starts" make sure it shows "Show my home page"
    > Click "Use Current Page"
    > Click OK

    Already did all that. A moderator on Mozillazine can't even help me figure
    out the problem.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Oct 28, 2007
  7. elaich

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 28 Oct 2007 03:30:04 GMT, in message <>,
    elaich wrote:

    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in
    >
    > > elaich wrote:
    > >> I always use as my home page a mere blue blank page, which I call
    > >> internet.html, and is stored in my root directory.
    > >>
    > >> Previous versions of Firefox had no trouble using this as my home page.
    > >> But, 2.0.0.8 can't! If I click on Home, I get a timeout box saying that
    > >> "Firefox can't find the server at www.c.com."
    > >>
    > >> In Options, the file is correctly shown as file:///c:internet.html, but
    > >> Firefox thinks it's a web page.
    > >>

    > > If that really is the URL you are missing a slash after the "c:"
    > >

    > The slash is there. Just forgot it.

    A. My home page in Firefox is also a file on my hard drive,
    and it works no problem in Firefox 2.0.0.8.

    B. Forgot slash means didn't copy and paste from options,
    which may suggest not actually looking at options.

    C. The error you saw is what would happen if the homepage
    in options were one of these

    http:///c:internet.html
    http:///c:/internet.html

    That is, if someone had entered "http:" into options where they
    should have entered "file:".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Oct 29, 2007
  8. elaich

    Justin Guest

    elaich wrote on [28 Oct 2007 03:30:04 GMT]:
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in
    >
    >> elaich wrote:
    >>> I always use as my home page a mere blue blank page, which I call
    >>> internet.html, and is stored in my root directory.
    >>>
    >>> Previous versions of Firefox had no trouble using this as my home page.
    >>> But, 2.0.0.8 can't! If I click on Home, I get a timeout box saying that
    >>> "Firefox can't find the server at www.c.com."
    >>>
    >>> In Options, the file is correctly shown as file:///c:internet.html, but
    >>> Firefox thinks it's a web page.
    >>>

    >> If that really is the URL you are missing a slash after the "c:"
    >>

    > The slash is there. Just forgot it.

    start page

    Justin, Oct 30, 2007
  9. elaich

    elaich Guest

    Justin <> wrote in

    > start page

    All that stuff was done. I actually got it fixed when I deleted the HOME
    bookmark from the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, and then recreated it. It works
    perfectly now.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?