1TB external bus-powered SSD drive with Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, May 30, 2014.

  1. On 6/1/14 PDT, 3:11 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 07:21:20 +0200, android <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <300520141105178062%>,
    >> nospam <> wrote:

    >>> because la cie does not make the drives.
    >>>
    >>> very simple.
    >>>
    >>> if you buy a vehicle and the power steering fails, such as what's the
    >>> focus of a current recall, is it your fault or the car maker's fault?

    >> Yes...
    >> Ford's more likely to cut corners on quality than Mercedes. Just as an
    >> example...

    > Even though they don't mean to, Mercedes cuts more corners on quality
    > than either Toyota or Honda.
    >
    > See for example
    > http://www.truedelta.com/Honda-Accord/reliability-108/vs-E-Class-186

    Absolutely meaningless 'statistics'. Not only are the numbers miniscule,
    it's a self selecting group.
    Hogwash.

    John McWilliams, Jun 1, 2014
    1. Advertising

  2. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 16:02:16 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <010620141520297249%>, Scott Schuckert
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Oh for the deity's sake - I feel like my IQ is going down reading this
    >> thread.

    >that's what happens with any thread in which tony participates.

    I'm not the one stating the manufacturer is not at fault when there's
    a history of failure of components. If they sell it, they're
    responsible for it.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 1, 2014
    1. Advertising

  3. On 6/1/14 PDT, 1:02 PM, nospam wrote:

    > seagate drives are generally very good, unless you get a batch, such as
    > the ones where the heads delaminated, or the firmware had issues.

    Ford Pintos were generally very good, unless you got one with a poorly
    designed gas tank... (and got rear-ended to boot. or in the boot if
    you're a Brit.)

    John McWilliams, Jun 1, 2014
  4. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> Oh for the deity's sake - I feel like my IQ is going down reading this
    > >> thread.

    > >that's what happens with any thread in which tony participates.

    > I'm not the one stating the manufacturer is not at fault when there's
    > a history of failure of components. If they sell it, they're
    > responsible for it.

    actually, you are, since that's a gross misrepresentation of what i
    said.

    once again, you're caught lying.

    nospam, Jun 1, 2014
  5. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> You will never convince nospam of that. And even if you did, he would
    > >> not admit it.

    > >convince me of what, exactly?
    > >
    > >the fact is that if a drive fails, it's *not* la cie's fault. it's the
    > >drive maker's fault.

    > It's LaCie's fault if they earn a reputation for abnormally short
    > drive life times. They should change their supplier or their specs or
    > something if they have repeated problems of the same general type.

    la cie doesn't make the drives. they make the boxes into which they put
    the drives. however, they have earned a reputation for power supply
    failures.

    la cie buys the same drives everyone else buys, but they *don't* buy
    the same power supplies everyone else does.

    > >that doesn't mean that la cie leaves the user stuck with a bum drive.
    > >the drives are warranted by the drive maker to la cie, who then
    > >replaces it for the user.

    > Fat lot of good that is to the guy who has a dead drive filled with
    > valuable information.

    that's what backups are for.

    nospam, Jun 2, 2014
  6. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/1/2014 4:02 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> nobody said they aren't responsible for any failure. more of your
    >>> twisting.
    >>>
    >>> it's not their fault that something they didn't manufacture fails. how
    >>> could it be?
    >>>
    >>> la cie warrants the entire package, but if a part they buy fails, then
    >>> their cost to repair it is reimbursed by the maker of said part under
    >>> its oem warranty. standard stuff.
    >>>
    >>> you do not have the right to seek damages from the part maker, in this
    >>> case a hard drive, because the drive does not have an end-user
    >>> warranty. it has an oem warranty to la cie, who bought it to put in an
    >>> enclosure.
    >>>
    >>> if you bought the hard drive retail, then you get an end-user warranty,
    >>> which is often longer than the oem warranty to the box maker.

    >> How little you know about this.

    > far more than you'll ever know.

    An unprovable and idiotic statement

    >> I do have to congratulate you. From the time of my posting, you have
    >> read and interpreted the entire Article 2 of the UCC.

    > nothing in there contradicts anything i said.

    Another asinine statement.

    >> Do stop blustering.

    > i'm not the one who is blustering.

    Another unprovable statement

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 2, 2014
  7. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/1/2014 4:02 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> wrong on that too.
    >>>
    >>> it applies to airplanes.
    >>>

    >> So it applies to airplanes, but not LaCie.
    >> verry interesting.

    > wrong on that too. jeezus you're a moron.
    >
    > it applies to every single company, namely the ones who buy
    > subassemblies they did not build.

    Another statement on my list for when I find you.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 2, 2014
  8. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/1/2014 8:46 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2014-06-02 00:00:18 +0000, Eric Stevens <> said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 14:27:45 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> I was thinking that my self.
    >>> I have owned 4 Mercedes; a 560SEL, an S600, and 2 E350s. The 560SEL &
    >>> S600 were bought used. The 560SEL with 120K on the clock had to have
    >>> the power steering box replaced. I found one online at a recycled parts
    >>> outlet in Arizona for $320 including shipping. It cost me another $180
    >>> to have it installed. I got that to 280K with no mechanical issues
    >>> before I replaced it. That was one of the best cars I have ever owned
    >>> and turned me into a Mercedes fan.
    >>>
    >>> The 1996 S600 coupe with 62K on the clock cost me $34,000 + $1,200
    >>> shipping from the East Coast. Another great bullet proof car
    >>> mechanically until the A/C compressor failed and would have cost me
    >>> $2,800 just for replacement parts.
    >>>
    >>> I chose to replace the S600, which with its V-12 was not the most
    >>> economical of cars, and leased a new 2008 E350 with a less thirsty V-6,
    >>> and in 2011 when that lease matured I bought my current E350. Neither
    >>> E350 has demonstrated any reliability issues mechanically or otherwise.

    >> Ahem!
    >>
    >> "Absolutely meaningless 'statistics'. Not only are the numbers
    >> miniscule, it's a self selecting group.
    >> Hogwash."
    >>
    >> But seriously, one owner's experience is not a reasonable basis for
    >> the evaluation of a particular make/model of car.

    > It is for the owner. If one owner's experience is not a reasonable basis
    > for his evaluation of a particular make/model of car, what is?
    > If he has had a particularly bad experience with a car, and tells the
    > world that he views that particular make/model in a poor light, should
    > he then believe folks telling him he is wrong and that his experience
    > was unusual.
    >
    > I have owned but one Olds Cutlass Supreme, and that experience has
    > tainted GM for me for all time.
    > My 1969 VW Beetle 1500 was bullet proof, and reliable.

    So was mine, until my wife totaled it. fortunately nobody was hurt.

    > I have gone through several Fords some of which I was very pleased with
    > and some which proved problematic, but not to the extent I would condemn
    > the entire line.
    >
    > In recent times we have owned two Chryslers, a Pacifica which was
    > superficially a nice vehicle which came out of the Chrysler/Mercedes
    > partnership. Unfortunately, the engine self destructed in a very
    > dramatic explosive fashion while under warranty. The dealership &
    > Chrysler had little option other than to make things right by making an
    > unrefusable deal to replace the Pacifica with a 300C. The 300C proved to
    > be reliable and I bundled it with the S600 in the trade for the first E350.

    My Pacifica was great, except for annoyances. It was replaced with a
    lexus, and then another. I would have gotten another, but my wife wanted
    a bright red car. We settled for a Cadillac SRX. Only three warranty
    repairs in the first two months. And it doesn't handle nearly as well as
    the Lexus. But my wife likes it. Whatchagonnado.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Jun 2, 2014
  9. On 6/1/14 PDT, 4:29 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:20:55 -0700, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:

    >>> Even though they don't mean to, Mercedes cuts more corners on quality
    >>> than either Toyota or Honda.
    >>>
    >>> See for example
    >>> http://www.truedelta.com/Honda-Accord/reliability-108/vs-E-Class-186

    >> Absolutely meaningless 'statistics'. Not only are the numbers miniscule,
    >> it's a self selecting group.
    >> Hogwash.

    > I wouldn't condemn it as heavily as all that. I was actually looking
    > for a particular reputable industry-wide survey but I couldn't
    > remember it's name (I still can't). But the story it tells is much
    > the same.

    Consumer Reports does a major survey of vehicles. I've looked at it in
    the past, but believe you have to subscribe, but I could be off on that.

    John McWilliams, Jun 2, 2014
  10. On 6/1/14 PDT, 2:48 PM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <010620141602169415%>, nospam
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> anything at all? what will apple, google and microsoft stock be in 1
    >> year?

    > You don't want to listen to me, I told the engineers at Apple they were
    > wasting their time working on a "music player." Then again, I bought my
    > Apple stock at $16...
    >
    > But in this case I was talking about how the service part o the
    > computer industry in general, and LaCie in specific, works.

    Long may you run, long may you run!

    And thanks for your earlier expo.

    John McWilliams, Jun 2, 2014
  11. On 6/1/14 PDT, 12:29 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 6/1/2014 12:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    >> As Wile E. Coyote knows, it is best to be wary of Acme Corp. products.
    >>

    > A well known international law firm was not the least bit suspicious
    > when it purchased a non-existent residential housing complex for several
    > million dollars. The name of the property manager was Wylie Coyote.

    Please, tell us more!

    John McWilliams, Jun 2, 2014
  12. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Fat lot of good that is to the guy who has a dead drive filled with
    > >> valuable information.

    > >that's what backups are for.

    > I knew you would say that. In effect you are advising when you have a
    > LaCie drive you had better have two for when one of them fails.
    >
    > This is good advice for any drive but it seems to be more adviseable
    > for LaCie than for other drives.

    backups are indeed important for any drive, however, the common failure
    mode with la cie is a power supply which usually does not affect the
    drive itself. simply replace the power supply or move the drive to
    another enclosure.

    nospam, Jun 2, 2014
  13. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> How little you know about this.

    > > far more than you'll ever know.

    > An unprovable and idiotic statement

    your posts is all the proof that's necessary,

    > >> I do have to congratulate you. From the time of my posting, you have
    > >> read and interpreted the entire Article 2 of the UCC.

    > > nothing in there contradicts anything i said.

    > Another asinine statement.

    nothing asinine about it.

    nospam, Jun 2, 2014
  14. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 01/06/2014 16:01, nospam wrote:

    >>> They are not selling an enclosure or a drive. They are selling a
    >>> complete unit and the drive is a part of that.
    >>> They are responsible for the unit that they sell. Which includes a
    >>> drive...

    >> You will never convince nospam of that. And even if you did, he would
    >> not admit it.

    > convince me of what, exactly?
    >
    > the fact is that if a drive fails, it's *not* la cie's fault. it's the
    > drive maker's fault.

    Bullshit. LaCie had a habit of sticking drives into enclosure with bad
    thermal design, which basically cooked the drives. Not LaCies fault?

    Joe Kotroczo, Jun 2, 2014
  15. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Joe Kotroczo
    <> wrote:

    > > the fact is that if a drive fails, it's *not* la cie's fault. it's the
    > > drive maker's fault.

    > Bullshit. LaCie had a habit of sticking drives into enclosure with bad
    > thermal design, which basically cooked the drives. Not LaCies fault?

    that's a different failure mode than what has been discussed and not
    the usual one for la cie, which is a power supply failure. an enclosure
    that overheats would be their fault.

    nospam, Jun 2, 2014
  16. Sandman

    android Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:12:24 +0200, android <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > >> Even though they don't mean to, Mercedes cuts more corners on quality
    > >> than either Toyota or Honda.
    > >>
    > >> See for example
    > >> http://www.truedelta.com/Honda-Accord/reliability-108/vs-E-Class-186

    > >But then you would have to drive on of those cars...
    > >Seriously, this kind of surveys says more about the history of the
    > >vehicles ownership than about the item delivered from factory...
    > >The Hondas and Toyotas sold were i live are mainly "Made in Britain".
    > >Nuff said...

    > I don't know about Toyotas but I do know that the overall reliability
    > of various Honda models is the same irrespective of whether they are
    > made in Japan, Thailand or the USA. Worldwide, Toyotas seem to have
    > much the same reliability with Honda having a very slight edge
    > overall.

    The cars sold on principal markets by the here mentioned companies are
    not the same and are not made at the same plants... Just like a German
    Passat is not the same car as an American... The Hondas sold here are
    made in England and do not have the same specs as those sold in Japan or
    the US.

    > The difference between Honda and Mercedes is management culture. I
    > remember reading about twenty years ago that "German quality is as
    > good as Japanese quality. The only problem is that it costs about 40%
    > more". I get the impression that it is no longer as good but still
    > costs 40% more.

    Take a seat so to speak. Put yourself behind the drivers wheel in a
    showroom and you know why a Mercedes costs significantly more than a
    Ford or Honda. I do think that the Lexuses seem to be nice rides
    though...
    --
    teleportation kills
    http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography

    android, Jun 2, 2014
  17. Sandman

    android Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:15:55 +0200, android <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > >> I don't know about Toyotas but I do know that the overall reliability
    > >> of various Honda models is the same irrespective of whether they are
    > >> made in Japan, Thailand or the USA. Worldwide, Toyotas seem to have
    > >> much the same reliability with Honda having a very slight edge
    > >> overall.

    > >The cars sold on principal markets by the here mentioned companies are
    > >not the same and are not made at the same plants... Just like a German
    > >Passat is not the same car as an American... The Hondas sold here are
    > >made in England and do not have the same specs as those sold in Japan or
    > >the US.

    > When you say "the Hondas sold here", where is "here"/
    >
    > When I wrote the above, I was well aware that certain nominally
    > identical Hondas are made in more than one plant internationally and
    > that the data relating to quality standards shows that they are all of
    > virtually the same quality irrespective of where they are made. I am
    > also aware that details of these nominally identical Hondas may be
    > different according to the market they are intended to supply. There
    > are likely to be differences in suspension dynamics, strength of
    > suspension arms, brakes, structural members of the body and, in some
    > cases, engines, gear boxes and interior fittings. But cars
    > incorporating any of these variations can be built on any of the
    > production lines without having a significant impact on quality. I
    > understand the same applies to Toyota as well as Honda.
    > >>
    > >> The difference between Honda and Mercedes is management culture. I
    > >> remember reading about twenty years ago that "German quality is as
    > >> good as Japanese quality. The only problem is that it costs about 40%
    > >> more". I get the impression that it is no longer as good but still
    > >> costs 40% more.

    > >Take a seat so to speak. Put yourself behind the drivers wheel in a
    > >showroom and you know why a Mercedes costs significantly more than a
    > >Ford or Honda. I do think that the Lexuses seem to be nice rides
    > >though...

    > I suspect that some of the Lexus models sell for the price that they
    > do because that is the price set for that level of specification by
    > their competition.

    You're rambling...

    android, Jun 2, 2014
  18. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <300520141326075071%>, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, Sandman

    > > > John McWilliams:
    > > > Are you quite sure that the speed of an external drive will in
    > > > fact speed up processing?

    > > Sandman:
    > > Speed up processing? What processing? I want to speed up the
    > > reading and writing of files. Processing is done with the
    > > processor, and has nothing to do with the speed of the drives.

    > it does if it's i/o bound.

    Processing isn't i/o bound to the disk drive.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jun 3, 2014
  19. Sandman

    android Guest

    In article <>,
    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:06:29 +0200, android <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > >> When you say "the Hondas sold here", where is "here"/
    > >>
    > >> When I wrote the above, I was well aware that certain nominally
    > >> identical Hondas are made in more than one plant internationally and
    > >> that the data relating to quality standards shows that they are all of
    > >> virtually the same quality irrespective of where they are made. I am
    > >> also aware that details of these nominally identical Hondas may be
    > >> different according to the market they are intended to supply. There
    > >> are likely to be differences in suspension dynamics, strength of
    > >> suspension arms, brakes, structural members of the body and, in some
    > >> cases, engines, gear boxes and interior fittings. But cars
    > >> incorporating any of these variations can be built on any of the
    > >> production lines without having a significant impact on quality. I
    > >> understand the same applies to Toyota as well as Honda.

    > >> I suspect that some of the Lexus models sell for the price that they
    > >> do because that is the price set for that level of specification by
    > >> their competition.

    > >You're rambling...

    > You're lost?

    ???

    android, Jun 3, 2014
  20. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, android wrote:

    > > > Kevin McMurtrie:
    > > > I'd avoid LaCie too. I had a factory drive fail early on the
    > > > first revision "5big" RAID and the only way to get it fixed
    > > > under warranty was to return the whole thing and get a new one
    > > > two weeks later. That's really not grasping the "no downtime"
    > > > feature of RAID 5.

    > > > Amazon seems to have Thunderbolt powered SSD.

    > > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2YMK86
    > > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HQCARY
    > > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4D6LJ4
    > > > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007FNKAYQ

    > > Sandman:
    > > Yeah, but none big enough, though :/

    > Just like earlier on the Mac groups you seem to look for things that
    > don't exist....

    Yeah, well, I am already aware of the scarcity of devices that meet my
    need, otherwise I wouldn't post a question online unless I knew it was hard
    to find otherwise. Unfortunately, in many cases, it's because it *can't* be
    found :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jun 3, 2014