    Any ideas?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014

  2. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Sandman
    <> wrote:

    > I've been looking at the Lacie "Little Big Disk" which has Thunderbolt 2
    > and very impressive read/write rates, but it's not bus-powered, and I need
    > a good mobile disk with preferably 1TB of storage.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    la cie is well known for power supply failures.

    nospam, May 30, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 12:57, Sandman wrote:
    > I've been looking at the Lacie "Little Big Disk" which has Thunderbolt 2
    > and very impressive read/write rates, but it's not bus-powered, and I need
    > a good mobile disk with preferably 1TB of storage.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    WD My Passport Pro, available in 2TB and 4TB, integrated TB cable,
    buspowered. Contains 2 HDs, which can be used RAID 0 or RAID 1.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1240

    G-Tech G-Drive mobile, 1TB, both Thunderbolt and USB3, buspowered.
    http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-thunderbolt

    Seagate GoFlex. 1TB, buspowered.
    http://www.seagate.com/external-har...rives/performance/goflex-for-mac-thunderbolt/

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 14:19, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
    > On 30/05/2014 12:57, Sandman wrote:
    >> I've been looking at the Lacie "Little Big Disk" which has Thunderbolt 2
    >> and very impressive read/write rates, but it's not bus-powered, and I
    >> need
    >> a good mobile disk with preferably 1TB of storage.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > WD My Passport Pro, available in 2TB and 4TB, integrated TB cable,
    > buspowered. Contains 2 HDs, which can be used RAID 0 or RAID 1.
    > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1240
    >

    > G-Tech G-Drive mobile, 1TB, both Thunderbolt and USB3, buspowered.
    > http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-thunderbolt
    >
    > Seagate GoFlex. 1TB, buspowered.
    > http://www.seagate.com/external-har...rives/performance/goflex-for-mac-thunderbolt/

    Sorry, I didn't see the "SSD" when I read your post.

    Elgato do a 512GB SSD, buspowered.
    http://www.elgato.com/en/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-drive-512gb

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <300520140818015932%>, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, Sandman

    > > Sandman:
    > > I've been looking at the Lacie "Little Big Disk" which has
    > > Thunderbolt 2 and very impressive read/write rates, but it's not
    > > bus-powered, and I need a good mobile disk with preferably 1TB of
    > > storage.

    > > Any ideas?

    > la cie is well known for power supply failures.

    And disk failures, which I think is less of a factor with SSD's.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  6. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, Joe Kotroczo wrote:

    > > > Sandman:
    > > > I've been looking at the Lacie "Little Big Disk" which has
    > > > Thunderbolt 2 and very impressive read/write rates, but it's not
    > > > bus-powered, and I need a good mobile disk with preferably 1TB
    > > > of storage.

    > > > Any ideas?

    > > Joe Kotroczo:
    > > WD My Passport Pro, available in 2TB and 4TB, integrated TB cable,
    > > buspowered. Contains 2 HDs, which can be used RAID 0 or RAID 1.
    > > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1240

    > > G-Tech G-Drive mobile, 1TB, both Thunderbolt and USB3, buspowered.
    > > http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-thunderbolt

    > > Seagate GoFlex. 1TB, buspowered.
    > > http://www.seagate.com/external-har...rives/performance/goflex-for-mac-thunderbolt/

    > Sorry, I didn't see the "SSD" when I read your post.

    > Elgato do a 512GB SSD, buspowered.
    > http://www.elgato.com/en/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-drive-512gb

    Yeah, I've seen it. I would prefer a 1TB drive though. Maybe I have to
    build one myself. I should be able to buy an external enclosure and put a
    1TB SSD disk in it.

    The neat thing about the Lacie one is that it's PCIe SSD, so it's crazy
    fast.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  7. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Sandman
    <> wrote:

    > > > I've been looking at the Lacie "Little Big Disk" which has
    > > > Thunderbolt 2 and very impressive read/write rates, but it's not
    > > > bus-powered, and I need a good mobile disk with preferably 1TB of
    > > > storage.

    > > > Any ideas?

    > > la cie is well known for power supply failures.

    > And disk failures, which I think is less of a factor with SSD's.

    disk failures are not la cie's fault.

    la cie doesn't make the disks. they buy them from disk manufacturers.

    they do make the power supplies though, and they're generally not that
    reliable.

    nospam, May 30, 2014
  8. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2014 10:08:52 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> > la cie is well known for power supply failures.

    >> And disk failures, which I think is less of a factor with SSD's.

    >disk failures are not la cie's fault.
    >
    >la cie doesn't make the disks. they buy them from disk manufacturers.

    Why is this not a failure of La Cie? Don't they have a choice of what
    vendors to purchase their disks from?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 30, 2014
  9. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <300520141008524991%>, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, Sandman

    > > > nospam:
    > > > la cie is well known for power supply failures.

    > > Sandman:
    > > And disk failures, which I think is less of a factor with SSD's.

    > disk failures are not la cie's fault.

    If they choose poor disks to cut costs, I would blame them. All my failed
    external drives have been Lacies.

    > la cie doesn't make the disks. they buy them from disk
    > manufacturers.

    In some cases, they do have a raid card in the enclosure, which can fail
    and corrupt the disks as well.

    > they do make the power supplies though, and they're generally not
    > that reliable.

    Which is why I'm looking for a bus-powered solution.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  10. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 14:49, Sandman wrote:
    > In article <>, Joe Kotroczo wrote:

    (...)

    >> Elgato do a 512GB SSD, buspowered.
    >> http://www.elgato.com/en/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-drive-512gb

    > Yeah, I've seen it. I would prefer a 1TB drive though. Maybe I have to
    > build one myself. I should be able to buy an external enclosure and put a
    > 1TB SSD disk in it.

    If you find an external enclosure which is both Thunderbolt and bus
    powered, let us know.

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014
  11. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> And disk failures, which I think is less of a factor with SSD's.

    > >disk failures are not la cie's fault.
    > >
    > >la cie doesn't make the disks. they buy them from disk manufacturers.

    > Why is this not a failure of La Cie? Don't they have a choice of what
    > vendors to purchase their disks from?

    because la cie does not make the drives.

    very simple.

    if you buy a vehicle and the power steering fails, such as what's the
    focus of a current recall, is it your fault or the car maker's fault?

    nospam, May 30, 2014
  12. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Sandman
    <> wrote:

    > > > Sandman:
    > > > And disk failures, which I think is less of a factor with SSD's.

    > > disk failures are not la cie's fault.

    > If they choose poor disks to cut costs, I would blame them. All my failed
    > external drives have been Lacies.

    all enclosure companies choose the least expensive drives available
    which is why you never know what drive is going to be inside the box.

    in other words, the risk for drive failure is pretty much the same no
    matter who makes the enclosure.

    *every* drive will fail. the question is when.

    it's the other parts where enclosure companies differ. la cie skimps on
    power supplies, and that's why their power supplies fail more than with
    other companies.

    > > la cie doesn't make the disks. they buy them from disk
    > > manufacturers.

    > In some cases, they do have a raid card in the enclosure, which can fail
    > and corrupt the disks as well.

    that's not a drive failure. that's a raid issue, which is something
    they added and possibly with their own firmware.

    > > they do make the power supplies though, and they're generally not
    > > that reliable.

    > Which is why I'm looking for a bus-powered solution.

    make sure it's firewire, usb 3 or thunderbolt.
    usb 2 is not reliable enough for bus-powering.

    nospam, May 30, 2014
  13. Sandman

    nospam Guest

    In article <2014053008083495437-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> If you find an external enclosure which is both Thunderbolt and bus
    > >> powered, let us know.

    > > < http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGTBH5T1.0/ >

    > The bigger issue is to find a 1TB SSD to go in that enclosure. The
    > largest I could find was a 960GB.
    > < http://eshop.macsales.com/search/Mercury Electra 3G 960GB >

    close enough.

    western digital has a 2tb & 4tb thunderbolt bus-powered drive.
    <http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1240>

    nospam, May 30, 2014
  14. Sandman

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2014 11:05:17 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >disk failures are not la cie's fault.
    >> >
    >> >la cie doesn't make the disks. they buy them from disk manufacturers.

    >> Why is this not a failure of La Cie? Don't they have a choice of what
    >> vendors to purchase their disks from?

    >because la cie does not make the drives.
    >
    >very simple.
    >
    >if you buy a vehicle and the power steering fails, such as what's the
    >focus of a current recall, is it your fault or the car maker's fault?

    Wait a minute, now. If a component of a product continually fails,
    and the manufacturer of that product does not change sources, who is
    at fault? Whether it's disks or drives or any part, if past
    experience indicates the component is a problem, then change sources.
    If the company continues to use that vendor, then it is clearly the
    fault of the company.

    I don't know who makes the power steering components of the vehicles,
    but I would put the fault with the car maker if they used those
    components from that vendor and had knowledge that those components
    were a problem in previous years.

    That is the exactly the problem with La Cie.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 30, 2014
  15. Sandman

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 30/05/2014 15:55, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2014-05-30 14:44:16 +0000, Joe Kotroczo <> said:
    >
    >> On 30/05/2014 14:49, Sandman wrote:
    >>> In article <>, Joe Kotroczo wrote:

    >> (...)

    >>> Yeah, I've seen it. I would prefer a 1TB drive though. Maybe I have to
    >>> build one myself. I should be able to buy an external enclosure and
    >>> put a
    >>> 1TB SSD disk in it.

    >> If you find an external enclosure which is both Thunderbolt and bus
    >> powered, let us know.

    > < http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGTBH5T1.0/ >

    So you have to buy that, open it somehow (I don't see any screws?) and
    remove the 1TB drive that's already in there? Seems a bit of a waste.

    Joe Kotroczo, May 30, 2014
  16. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <2014053006490842172-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2014-05-30 11:57:28 +0000, Sandman <>said:

    > > Sandman:
    > > I've been looking at the Lacie "Little Big Disk" which has
    > > Thunderbolt 2 and very impressive read/write rates, but it's not
    > > bus-powered, and I need a good mobile disk with preferably 1TB of
    > > storage.

    > > Any ideas?

    > Every HDD failure I have experienced has been with LaCie.

    Me too. I would hope that that would be quite less of a concern with SSD's
    though.

    > I have gone through several LaCie FW800 drives, they look great and
    > construction is solid. However, their major downfall lies in the brick
    > [ower supplies they use and the poor quality drives the hide in their
    > great looking enclosures. I have long since stopped buying and using
    > LaCie drive regardless of how great they look, they are sort of Ferraris,
    > or Porches powered with a Yugo engine. I highly recommend all that OWC
    > has to offer except LaCie. < http://eshop.macsales.com > ...including
    > their Thunderbolt stuff. < http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/ >

    Yeah, OWC is neat enough, but doesn't have big enough disks, maxing out at
    480GB for 6G, which would be ok if they had a neat enclosure for putting
    two of them in there (or four). I guess I have to build my own...

    > My recommendation would be to consider their Mercury On-The-Go 1TB <
    > http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGTBH5T1.0/

    So, uh, that's not actually SSD, though. It's a slow 5400 rpm disk where
    the thunderbolt cable is just ridiculous :)

    <http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/>

    3G is available at 960GB ($649) and 6G at 480GB ($399). So I need a
    thunderbolt enclosure for them as well.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  17. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <300520141105198163%>, nospam wrote:

    > > > nospam:
    > > > disk failures are not la cie's fault.

    > > Sandman:
    > > If they choose poor disks to cut costs, I would blame them. All my
    > > failed external drives have been Lacies.

    > all enclosure companies choose the least expensive drives available
    > which is why you never know what drive is going to be inside the
    > box.

    > in other words, the risk for drive failure is pretty much the same
    > no matter who makes the enclosure.

    > *every* drive will fail. the question is when.

    > it's the other parts where enclosure companies differ. la cie skimps
    > on power supplies, and that's why their power supplies fail more
    > than with other companies.

    Well, between me, my colleagues and apparently Savageduck - the only drives
    that have *ever* failed in external enclosures have been Lacie. All failed
    drives have been in Lacie enclosures.

    For the record, I've never had a power supply from any vendor fail.

    > > > nospam:
    > > > la cie doesn't make the disks. they buy them from disk
    > > > manufacturers.

    > > Sandman:
    > > In some cases, they do have a raid card in the enclosure, which
    > > can fail and corrupt the disks as well.

    > that's not a drive failure.

    I didn't say it was. It is, however, Lacie corrupting data on the disks,
    which has the same end result.

    > > > nospam:
    > > > they do make the power supplies though, and they're generally
    > > > not that reliable.

    > > Sandman:
    > > Which is why I'm looking for a bus-powered solution.

    > make sure it's firewire, usb 3 or thunderbolt. usb 2 is not reliable
    > enough for bus-powering.

    Reread the subject...

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  18. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, Joe Kotroczo wrote:

    > > > Joe Kotroczo:
    > > > Elgato do a 512GB SSD, buspowered.
    > > > http://www.elgato.com/en/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-drive-512gb

    > > Sandman:
    > > Yeah, I've seen it. I would prefer a 1TB drive though. Maybe I
    > > have to build one myself. I should be able to buy an external
    > > enclosure and put a 1TB SSD disk in it.

    > If you find an external enclosure which is both Thunderbolt and bus
    > powered, let us know.

    Here:
    <http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-Thunderbolt-trade-External-Portable/dp/B00D2YKOUC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8>

    It comes with a 128GB SSD drive, so I would have to transplant a larger
    disk in it, like this one:

    <http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-adapter-Internal-CT960M500SSD1/dp/B00BQ8RGL6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8>

    Or this one:

    <http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE1T0BW/dp/B00E3W16OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8>

    I suppose one could sell the 128GB drive.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014
  19. On 5/30/2014 11:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2014-05-30 15:53:21 +0000, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
    >
    >> On 2014-05-30 15:48:59 +0000, Sandman <> said:

    >>> Me too. I would hope that that would be quite less of a concern with
    >>> SSD's
    >>> though.

    >>> Yeah, OWC is neat enough, but doesn't have big enough disks, maxing
    >>> out at
    >>> 480GB for 6G, which would be ok if they had a neat enclosure for putting
    >>> two of them in there (or four). I guess I have to build my own...

    >>> So, uh, that's not actually SSD, though. It's a slow 5400 rpm disk where
    >>> the thunderbolt cable is just ridiculous :)
    >>>
    >>> <http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/>
    >>>
    >>> 3G is available at 960GB ($649) and 6G at 480GB ($399). So I need a
    >>> thunderbolt enclosure for them as well.

    >> < http://eshop.macsales.com/search/Mercury Electra 3G 960GB >

    > Perhaps this:
    > < http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYSSD960F8/ >

    Are those prices not reversed since the 3G seems to cost more than the
    6G? Anyway, the abbreviation for British pound is GBP (and that for US
    dollar is USD).

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

    James Silverton, May 30, 2014
  20. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>, Joe Kotroczo wrote:

    > > Savageduck:
    > > On 2014-05-30 14:44:16 +0000, Joe Kotroczo <>said:

    > > > Joe Kotroczo:
    > > > (...)

    > > > Joe Kotroczo:
    > > > If you find an external enclosure which is both Thunderbolt and
    > > > bus powered, let us know.

    > > Savageduck:
    > > <
    > > http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGTBH5T1.0/
    > > >

    > So you have to buy that, open it somehow (I don't see any screws?)
    > and remove the 1TB drive that's already in there? Seems a bit of a
    > waste.

    OWC's enclosures are easily opened. Unfortunately, OWC doesn't sell an
    empty TB enclsoure. Either way, their enclsoures are pretty ugly either way
    :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, May 30, 2014