    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Southern Kiwi, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Backdoor sub.seven,
    >
    > ....... and so it begins
    >
    > *sigh* had to happen I 'spose

    ummm ... this trojan has been around for AGES.

    From memory it propagates through email, usenet and IRC.

    What does it have to do with firefox ?
    Mark Robinson, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Southern Kiwi

    thingy Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Backdoor sub.seven,
    >
    > ....... and so it begins
    >
    > *sigh* had to happen I 'spose

    Propegation seems to be via emails and IRC and not via a web
    browser...so what has this to do with Firefox?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Backdoor sub.seven,
    >
    > ........ and so it begins
    >
    > *sigh* had to happen I 'spose

    Positively antique, and you have to run it manually. Didn't your
    antivirus pick it up as you executed it?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    --
    http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Southern Kiwi

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:48:46 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >> Backdoor sub.seven,
    >>
    >> ....... and so it begins
    >>
    >> *sigh* had to happen I 'spose

    > ummm ... this trojan has been around for AGES.
    >
    > From memory it propagates through email, usenet and IRC.
    >
    > What does it have to do with firefox ?

    It is the first trojan since the OP started using Firefox. ;-)
    Gordon, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Southern Kiwi

    David Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >> Backdoor sub.seven,
    >>
    >> ....... and so it begins
    >>
    >> *sigh* had to happen I 'spose
    >>

    > Propegation seems to be via emails and IRC and not via a web
    > browser...so what has this to do with Firefox?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Maybe he means that usually he would have about 100 by now, as IE has a
    habit of installing them without asking first.

    BTW: has anyone noticed thunderbird taking ages to load the quoted text
    when you hit reply? Seems to be happening since the auto-update the
    other day. Also interesting that its builtin spellcheck thinks
    'thunderbird' should be come 'thunder bird'. Hehe. This is using the
    en-NZ dictionary.
    David, Apr 26, 2006
  7. Southern Kiwi

    David Guest

    David, Apr 26, 2006
  8. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <rIE3g.17003$>,
    says...
    > thingy wrote:
    > > Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > >> Backdoor sub.seven,
    > >>
    > >> ....... and so it begins
    > >>
    > >> *sigh* had to happen I 'spose
    > >>

    > > Propegation seems to be via emails and IRC and not via a web
    > > browser...so what has this to do with Firefox?
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > Thing

    > Maybe he means that usually he would have about 100 by now, as IE has a
    > habit of installing them without asking first.

    That's *you* - not IE :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Southern Kiwi

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <rIE3g.17003$>,
    > says...
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Propegation seems to be via emails and IRC and not via a web
    >>> browser...so what has this to do with Firefox?
    >>>

    >> Maybe he means that usually he would have about 100 by now, as IE
    >> has a habit of installing them without asking first.

    > That's *you* - not IE :)

    Huh?
    Nik Coughlin, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <444ff8f5$>, says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <rIE3g.17003$>,
    > > says...

    > >> Maybe he means that usually he would have about 100 by now, as IE
    > >> has a habit of installing them without asking first.

    > > That's *you* - not IE :)

    > Huh?

    IE does *not* install ActiveX controls without *you* OK'g it (that is
    the default behaviour).

    (AFAIK though, the Backdoor Subseven trojan, arrives via email - and
    again, requires a user to OK it (to run)).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Apr 27, 2006