    I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
    my roommate at school.

    Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    Autodidact, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Autodidact

    M.B. Guest

    Autodidact wrote:

    > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
    > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
    > my roommate at school.
    >
    > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    My first DVD was Blade. I thought it was a cool flick and couldn't get
    over the extras. Actually, compared to a lot of SE DVDs released today
    and considering when that was released, it has a very impressive
    collection of extras with it.

    M.B., Aug 16, 2004

  3. Autodidact

    Autodidact Guest

    M.B. <> wrote in message
    > Autodidact wrote:
    >
    > > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of

    1997.
    > > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared

    with
    > > my roommate at school.
    > >
    > > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?
    > >

    > My first DVD was Blade. I thought it was a cool flick and couldn't get
    > over the extras. Actually, compared to a lot of SE DVDs released today
    > and considering when that was released, it has a very impressive
    > collection of extras with it.

    That was the first DVD that I saw with a menu that really showed off what
    the format could do. The transitions between menu options kept me
    entertained for quite a while the first time I got ahold of the remote.

    Autodidact, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Autodidact

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Autodidact" <> wrote in message
    > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of

    1997.
    > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared

    with
    > my roommate at school.
    >
    > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    I am embarrassed to say my first DVD was "The Jackal" with Bruce Willis and
    Richard Gere.

    However, when Jack Black got his arm shredded, I knew my LD collection was
    obsolete.

    Jay Stewart, Aug 16, 2004
  5. "Autodidact" <> wrote in

    > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of
    > 1997. I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I
    > shared with my roommate at school.
    >
    > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    Interestingly enough, my first DVD viewing was Tomorrow Never Dies.
    That was all it took to convince me that LD was on its way out.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Aug 16, 2004
  6. My very first DVD ownership experience was in 2000 with a Toshiba SD-1200 and a
    rented copy of the "X-Men" movie in its OAR.

    Even when playing with 16:9 downconversion and using composite connections for
    the video, I was stunned at the picture quality. I didn't care for the remote
    of the player, so I exchanged it for a Sony DVP-S360, which I still use today
    with anamorphic enhancement and s-video when I replaced my old TV.

    I bought my Dad his first DVD player, which was a Sharp DV-S1. Liked it's
    seamless layer changes, but not how it popped the subtitles on the screen once
    in a while. So, I exchanged the player for my Dad for a Panasonic DVD-RV41.
    Slower layer change, but totally flawless otherwise and a great step up in
    comparison to that Sharp.

    However, my Dad's first DVD experience was also with X-Men with my first DVD
    player. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Autodidact

    Mike Jackson Guest

    >I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of
    >1997.
    > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared
    > with
    > my roommate at school.
    >
    > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    My first exposure was working in the electronics department of a department
    store in about 1997/98. We ran the original release of "Twister" ad
    infinitum. I wasn't too impressed, because I could spot the pixelation in
    the heavy-action scenes. But, on the other hand, everything at that point
    was OAR, which impressed me; I had long before been converted to buying
    widescreen VHS when it was available. OAR was the big selling point for me.

    It was around that time that I had my first encounter with the anti-black
    bar crowd, though it was in a roundabout manner. This customer asked what it
    meant on the "L.A. Confidential" case that it was dual-layered. I explained
    this concept as clearly as possible. No no no, he asked, what does
    dual-layered mean? Okay, I dumbed down the explanation. Repeat. Finally, he
    blurted out if it had the black bars, because he didn't like losing any of
    the picture. Dumbass. I would've gladly taken away his player, since I was a
    poor college student at the time. I didn't get my first player until 1999;
    my first discs were "L.A. Confidential" (oh, the irony), "The Matrix," and
    "The Nightmare Before Christmas."

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Autodidact

    JWB Guest

    > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of

    1997.
    > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared

    with
    > my roommate at school.
    >
    > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    First DVD was "Suspiria", and it blew me away. Never has that film looked so
    good.

    JWB, Aug 17, 2004
  9. Autodidact

    Kram Sacul Guest

    "Autodidact" <> wrote in message news:<ZP8Uc.3583$>...
    > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
    > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
    > my roommate at school.
    >
    > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    Watching horribly pixelated and tinny sounding clips of Twister and
    other movies at an electronic store. Some things never change. Even
    DVD just plain sucks on an uncalibrated NTSC set.

    Kram Sacul, Aug 17, 2004
  10. Autodidact

    Galley Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:28:46 -0400, "Autodidact" <> spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
    >I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
    >my roommate at school.
    >
    >Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    I bought "Twister" and" Fleetwood Mac - The Dance" and demoed them at work, a
    few months before I bought my first player in Feb. of 1998.

    Galley

    Galley, Aug 17, 2004
  11. Autodidact

    cal Guest

    "Autodidact" <> wrote in message news:<ZP8Uc.3583$>...
    > I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997.
    > I watched that and Liar Liar over and over again on the player I shared with
    > my roommate at school.
    >
    > Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    My first two DVDs were "Contact" and "My Best Friend's Wedding". I
    bought them in 1997 but I didn't buy the DVD player to play them until
    March of 1998!

    It was well worth the wait!

    cal

    cal, Aug 17, 2004
  12. Autodidact

    cal Guest

    cal, Aug 17, 2004
  13. Autodidact

    Doonie Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:28:46 -0400, Autodidact wrote:

    >Did anyone have a memorable experience of their first exposure to DVD?

    Yeah - I found out what Macrovision is.

    --
    http://www.loudnessrace.net

    Doonie, Aug 17, 2004
  14. Autodidact

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Kram Sacul" <> wrote in message
    > Watching horribly pixelated and tinny sounding clips of Twister and
    > other movies at an electronic store. Some things never change. Even
    > DVD just plain sucks on an uncalibrated NTSC set.

    Twister on a widescreen TV with Dolby surround sound.

    Mark Jones, Aug 17, 2004
  15. I worked in a store that rented laserdiscs and sold high-end home theatre
    set-ups, so I got in on DVD early. The first one I watched was Outbreak,
    which I thought looked awful, all that pixellation. Mind you, this was on
    a fairly large screen.

    But when I took my first player home and watched the first edition of Das
    Boot, I was a little more convinced that DVD was going to improve very
    rapidly.

    Of course, I also had to deal with the anti-black-bar-brigade on a regular
    basis. Those weren't the days...

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Aug 17, 2004
  16. Autodidact wrote:

    >I broke my DVD cherry with a viewing of
    > Goldeneye, back in the fall of 1997. I watched
    > that and Liar Liar over and over again on the
    > player I shared with my roommate at school.

    >Did anyone have a memorable experience of their
    > first exposure to DVD?

    My very first DVD was "Goodfellas". I got it free when I purchased my
    very first Sony DVD player, watched it over and over again.

    Jealous?

    Maverick Dude, Aug 17, 2004
  17. Autodidact

    luminos Guest

    You should talk to those of us that had a first Laserdisc experience with
    Lumivision discs a decade ago....now that was a rush!

    luminos, Aug 18, 2004
  18. Autodidact

    Joe McC Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > You should talk to those of us that had a first Laserdisc experience with
    > Lumivision discs a decade ago....now that was a rush!

    Actually, I *am* interested.....

    I used to be mesmerised by those shiny big platters with EXTRAS!!! Just
    couldn't afford the kit, dammit!

    Joe McC, Aug 18, 2004
  19. A decade ago? I guess "Lumivision" was some sort of improvement on the
    existing optical LD at the time? I remember when LDs first came out in
    the early 80's. Not that I ever saw any of them, just because I was
    working in an RCA store at the time and was selling and renting their
    analog non-optical disc format......now that was an interesting format.
    Pretty good for what it was, but even then I could see that RCA had
    backed the wrong horse in that particular format war...

    Snowden Wyatt, Aug 18, 2004
  20. >My first two DVDs were "Contact" and "My Best Friend's Wedding". I
    >bought them in 1997 but I didn't buy the DVD player to play them until
    >March of 1998!
    >
    >It was well worth the wait!

    Well, there were people in 1978 who bought LaserDiscs first before buying the
    players. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't worth much of anything at all
    considering that DiscoVision made bad discs and Philips made bad players.

    Then comes Pioneer... - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 18, 2004