    Hmmmmm

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 13, 2009

  2. Jack Spratt

    oneofus Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    > clicked ok.
    > A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was
    > a new program installed.
    > Safari!
    > Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    > Hmmmmm

    A miracle !
    The Apple company's bounteous generosity knows no bounds, all praise the
    mighty Jobs !!
    oneofus, Mar 13, 2009

  3. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "oneofus" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    >> clicked ok.
    >> A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was a
    >> new program installed.
    >> Safari!
    >> Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    >> Hmmmmm
    >>

    > A miracle !
    > The Apple company's bounteous generosity knows no bounds, all praise the
    > mighty Jobs !!

    and yet the bundling of a browser with an OS is considered unfair to
    competitors

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 13, 2009
  4. In message <gpcthp$jn1$>, Jack Spratt wrote:

    > and yet the bundling of a browser with an OS is considered unfair to
    > competitors

    It's worth pointing out that Internet Explorer is so tightly bound into the
    workings of Dimdows that you can't really remove it. Unlike other browsers
    and other OSes.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 13, 2009
  5. Jack Spratt

    oneofus Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > "oneofus" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>> Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available.
    >>> I clicked ok.
    >>> A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there
    >>> was a new program installed.
    >>> Safari!
    >>> Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    >>> Hmmmmm
    >>>

    >> A miracle !
    >> The Apple company's bounteous generosity knows no bounds, all praise
    >> the mighty Jobs !!

    > and yet the bundling of a browser with an OS is considered unfair to
    > competitors

    You can remove it, you can't remove Internet Exploder
    oneofus, Mar 13, 2009
  6. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "oneofus" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> "oneofus" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> A miracle !
    >>> The Apple company's bounteous generosity knows no bounds, all praise the
    >>> mighty Jobs !!

    >> and yet the bundling of a browser with an OS is considered unfair to
    >> competitors
    >>

    > You can remove it, you can't remove Internet Exploder

    and I have, I would have preferred to have been asked before being given a
    60mb d/l install of a program I don't want.

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 13, 2009
  7. In message <gpcvb4$tsr$>, Jack Spratt wrote:

    > ... I would have preferred to have been asked before being given a
    > 60mb d/l install of a program I don't want.

    Why do you expect one proprietary software vendor to act in a more
    principled fashion than any other?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 13, 2009
  8. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    > In message <gpcvb4$tsr$>, Jack Spratt wrote:
    >
    >> ... I would have preferred to have been asked before being given a
    >> 60mb d/l install of a program I don't want.

    > Why do you expect one proprietary software vendor to act in a more
    > principled fashion than any other?

    I was led to believe (from many years of NNTP/Web forums etc) that MS was
    the only company to indulge in such practices.

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 13, 2009
  9. On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:48:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

    >Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    >clicked ok.
    >A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was a
    >new program installed.
    >Safari!
    >Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    >Hmmmmm

    It does actually ask, but it defaults to installing it and you have to
    read the options carefully and disable the Safari install. And each
    time it updates, it will default to installing Safari again.
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 13, 2009
  10. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:48:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    > <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    >>clicked ok.
    >>A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was a
    >>new program installed.
    >>Safari!
    >>Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    >>Hmmmmm

    > It does actually ask, but it defaults to installing it and you have to
    > read the options carefully and disable the Safari install. And each
    > time it updates, it will default to installing Safari again.

    I looked through all the "preferences" and can't see anything about
    safari/browser/other apps.
    Or did you mean the "updates available" dialogue?

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 13, 2009
  11. Jack Spratt

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-03-13, Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    > Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    > clicked ok.
    > A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was a
    > new program installed.
    > Safari!
    > Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    > Hmmmmm

    You *needed* it so it was installed. Get used to it
    Gordon, Mar 13, 2009
  12. Jack Spratt

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-03-13, Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >> In message <gpcvb4$tsr$>, Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I would have preferred to have been asked before being given a
    >>> 60mb d/l install of a program I don't want.

    >> Why do you expect one proprietary software vendor to act in a more
    >> principled fashion than any other?
    >>

    > I was led to believe (from many years of NNTP/Web forums etc) that MS was
    > the only company to indulge in such practices.

    May we have a list of these places. All the places I have read tell me that
    Apple is MS in one power ego trip.

    Have some fat Jack Spratt, to hell with your wife.

    For those who miss the clue, here is another.

    Jack Sprat rhyme aka Jack Spratt

    Jack Sprat could eat no fat
    His wife could eat no lean
    And so betwixt the two of them
    They licked the platter clean

    Jack ate all the lean,
    Joan ate all the fat.
    The bone they picked it clean,
    Then gave it to the cat

    Jack Sprat was wheeling,
    His wife by the ditch.
    The barrow turned over,
    And in she did pitch.

    Says Jack, "She'll be drowned!"
    But Joan did reply,
    "I don't think I shall,
    For the ditch is quite dry.".
    Jack Sprat rhyme aka Jack Spratt
    Gordon, Mar 13, 2009
  13. In message <gpd0li$5s4$>, Jack Spratt wrote:

    >> In message <gpcvb4$tsr$>, Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I would have preferred to have been asked before being given a
    >>> 60mb d/l install of a program I don't want.

    >> Why do you expect one proprietary software vendor to act in a more
    >> principled fashion than any other?

    > I was led to believe (from many years of NNTP/Web forums etc) that MS was
    > the only company to indulge in such practices.

    They are just the highest-profile offender. Every other company falls into
    the same pattern of behaviour, as soon as they achieve any kind of
    proprietary-software lock on their customers. Even Google has been guilty of
    it lately.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 13, 2009
  14. Jack Spratt

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-03-13, Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    > "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:48:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    >> <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    >>>clicked ok.
    >>>A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was a
    >>>new program installed.
    >>>Safari!
    >>>Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    >>>Hmmmmm

    >> It does actually ask, but it defaults to installing it and you have to
    >> read the options carefully and disable the Safari install. And each
    >> time it updates, it will default to installing Safari again.

    > I looked through all the "preferences" and can't see anything about
    > safari/browser/other apps.
    > Or did you mean the "updates available" dialogue?

    If it is turned on by default, turn it off. Works well for me
    Gordon, Mar 13, 2009
  15. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-03-13, Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >> "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >> message news:...

    >>> It does actually ask, but it defaults to installing it and you have to
    >>> read the options carefully and disable the Safari install. And each
    >>> time it updates, it will default to installing Safari again.

    >> I looked through all the "preferences" and can't see anything about
    >> safari/browser/other apps.
    >> Or did you mean the "updates available" dialogue?
    >>

    > If it is turned on by default, turn it off. Works well for me

    What is turned on by default? Something under edit-preferences?
    I cannot see it.

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 13, 2009
  16. Jack Spratt

    oneofus Guest

    Jack Spratt wrote:
    > "oneofus" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>> "oneofus" <> wrote in message

    >>> and yet the bundling of a browser with an OS is considered unfair to
    >>> competitors
    >>>

    >> You can remove it, you can't remove Internet Exploder

    > and I have, I would have preferred to have been asked before being given
    > a 60mb d/l install of a program I don't want.

    There are some good alternatives to iTunes around now, I've got an app
    called Floola that lives on my iPod, it carries my podcast subscriptions
    too which is pretty neat.
    oneofus, Mar 13, 2009
  17. Jack Spratt

    David Empson Guest

    Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > On 2009-03-13, Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    > >> "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    > >> message news:...

    > >> I looked through all the "preferences" and can't see anything about
    > >> safari/browser/other apps.
    > >> Or did you mean the "updates available" dialogue?
    > >>

    > > If it is turned on by default, turn it off. Works well for me

    > What is turned on by default? Something under edit-preferences?
    > I cannot see it.

    Haven't seen the Windows versions of this stuff but...

    Safari doesn't have anything directly to do with iTunes (apart from
    Apple supplying both of them). iTunes includes Apple Software Update,
    which is used to fetch software updates for all Apple products (except
    ones managed internally by iTunes, e.g. iPod firmware updates).

    I assume Apple Software Update is placed somewhere under Start >
    Settings, or in Start > Programs.

    I gather that Apple Software Update for Windows has been defaulting to
    offering Safari even if you don't already have it installed.

    Assuming the Windows version of Apple Software Update works like the Mac
    one, it presents a list of the available updates, with checkboxes next
    to them to say whether you want to download that update. It should also
    have an option to ignore a particular update, which will hide it and not
    present it again. Sometimes a new version is regarded as a different
    application, which would make it appear again. (I've only seen this on
    the Mac if the name of the application changed.)

    On the Mac, the Ignore command is listed under the Update menu and it
    has a convenient keyboard shortcut: the delete key (which might be
    Backspace on Windows).

    There is also "Reset Ignored Updates" command which gives you the full
    list again.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 13, 2009
  18. On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:30:59 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:48:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
    >> <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    >>>clicked ok.
    >>>A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was a
    >>>new program installed.
    >>>Safari!
    >>>Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is.
    >>>Hmmmmm

    >> It does actually ask, but it defaults to installing it and you have to
    >> read the options carefully and disable the Safari install. And each
    >> time it updates, it will default to installing Safari again.

    >I looked through all the "preferences" and can't see anything about
    >safari/browser/other apps.
    >Or did you mean the "updates available" dialogue?

    The latter.
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 13, 2009
  19. Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "David Empson" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Spratt <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >> > If it is turned on by default, turn it off. Works well for me

    >> What is turned on by default? Something under edit-preferences?
    >> I cannot see it.

    > Haven't seen the Windows versions of this stuff but...
    >
    > Safari doesn't have anything directly to do with iTunes (apart from
    > Apple supplying both of them). iTunes includes Apple Software Update,
    > which is used to fetch software updates for all Apple products (except
    > ones managed internally by iTunes, e.g. iPod firmware updates).
    >
    > I assume Apple Software Update is placed somewhere under Start >
    > Settings, or in Start > Programs.
    >
    > I gather that Apple Software Update for Windows has been defaulting to
    > offering Safari even if you don't already have it installed.
    >
    > Assuming the Windows version of Apple Software Update works like the Mac
    > one, it presents a list of the available updates, with checkboxes next
    > to them to say whether you want to download that update. It should also
    > have an option to ignore a particular update, which will hide it and not
    > present it again. Sometimes a new version is regarded as a different
    > application, which would make it appear again. (I've only seen this on
    > the Mac if the name of the application changed.)
    >
    > On the Mac, the Ignore command is listed under the Update menu and it
    > has a convenient keyboard shortcut: the delete key (which might be
    > Backspace on Windows).
    >
    > There is also "Reset Ignored Updates" command which gives you the full
    > list again.
    >
    > --
    > David Empson

    Program group features only iTunes and About iTunes which is a Word doc.
    I'm 90% sure the update didn't have check boxes (I'm norm pretty good at
    taking note of dialogues tho I did have a few beers last night :)
    I know that Safari wasn't there prior as, in Vista, when a program has
    recently been installed the "all programs" start menu item is a beige colour
    to alert you to a new item.

    I guess I won't know if it was an optional extra to update until there is a
    newer version that 8.1

    --
    Jack Spratt
    Jack Spratt, Mar 13, 2009
  20. Jack Spratt

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:48:57 +1300, Jack Spratt wrote:

    > Last night, when I opened iTunes, it told me an update was available. I
    > clicked ok.
    > A little while later when I went to the start menu I saw that there was a
    > new program installed.
    > Safari!
    > Didn't ask me, didn't tell me yet there it is. Hmmmmm

    You really are one clueless fuckwit.

    I mean *really*

    Totally and utterly clueless.

    --