    is there a way round the write protect if thats what it is
    for the record it is a SanDisk 1.0GB card
    thanks for reading and waiting with anticipation!!!!!

    nelson, Oct 30, 2004

  2. nelson

    Canongirly Guest

    Have you tried inserting it in your camera and formating it from there?

    Canongirly, Oct 30, 2004

  3. nelson

    Bill Crocker Guest

    You should always format memory cards, in the camera you intend to use it
    with. Even with cameras of a common manufacture, such as Canon, will format
    them differently, in various models of their own cameras.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 30, 2004
  4. nelson

    nelson Guest

    ok...will give it a try
    thanks

    nelson, Oct 30, 2004
  5. nelson

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "nelson" <> wrote in message
    > hi all
    > i have been given a cf card and it dont want to work...
    > it is reconised in xp but tells me to format it
    > have tried to but at the end it say's cant complete format
    > looked under disk tools and it does not have a file system
    > tried a couple off file recovery programs and i finds files but they are
    > gobbly gook...ie .exe and .txt files
    > it seems it has been writen in RAW format
    > how do i completely clean the card and reformat in fat16?
    > is there a way round the write protect if thats what it is
    > for the record it is a SanDisk 1.0GB card
    > thanks for reading and waiting with anticipation!!!!!

    One thing you should understand is that you cannot
    format 1 GB in FAT 16. FAT 16 is an obsolete disk
    format that can only support 512 megabytes.

    I seem to remember reading that FAT 32 is the
    simulated format used on memory cards. I say
    "simulated" because I'm not sure that the physical
    format on the memory card has much in common
    with the track/sector formatting on a disk. The
    interface makes it appear that way.

    Finally, yes, let the camera do the formatting, not
    the computer.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Oct 30, 2004
  6. Alan Meyer wrote:
    []
    > One thing you should understand is that you cannot
    > format 1 GB in FAT 16. FAT 16 is an obsolete disk
    > format that can only support 512 megabytes.

    In fact, FAT16 supports 2GB.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 30, 2004
  7. nelson

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Meyer wrote:
    > []
    > > One thing you should understand is that you cannot
    > > format 1 GB in FAT 16. FAT 16 is an obsolete disk
    > > format that can only support 512 megabytes.

    > In fact, FAT16 supports 2GB.
    >
    > David

    I hadn't thought about that, but I guess you're right.
    If you use 32 KB sectors, FAT 16 can address
    32KB x 64K total sectors (or maybe it's 64K bytes
    in 32 K total sectors - I forget where the limits are.)

    On disks, no one would use such large sectors, but
    I guess it's possible.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Nov 3, 2004
  8. Alan Meyer wrote:
    []
    > I hadn't thought about that, but I guess you're right.
    > If you use 32 KB sectors, FAT 16 can address
    > 32KB x 64K total sectors (or maybe it's 64K bytes
    > in 32 K total sectors - I forget where the limits are.)
    >
    > On disks, no one would use such large sectors, but
    > I guess it's possible.
    >
    > Alan

    Er, well actually I do! Just on boot disks, though, data disks are all
    NTFS.

    Con: poor use of disk space (but if I only /need/ to use 1GB from 2GB
    space, why not?).

    Pro: can use DOS-based tools for disk recovery. Might be handy one day!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 3, 2004