1Ghz CPU showing in System Properties as 501Mhz

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Howard, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Hi all,

    My father thought he bought a Compaq Deskpro 1Ghz CPU, but complained
    to me that it didn't appear much faster that what he was used to. The
    CPU identifes as 1G on boot and in AIDA32 (Aida Report below) but on
    WinXP System Properties is reports as only 501Mhz.

    So which is it? If it really is a 1Ghz cpu, does the system properties
    mis-reporting indicate something is misconfigured and more speed could
    be obtained by proper tweaking?

    Thanks in advance.

    -Howard

    CPU Properties:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 1000 MHz (7.5 x
    133)
    CPU Alias Coppermine, CuMine, A80526
    CPU Stepping cD0
    Original Clock 1000 MHz
    L1 Code Cache 16 KB
    L1 Data Cache 16 KB
    L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

    CPU Physical Info:
    Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
    Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
    Transistors 28.1 million
    Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
    Die Size 95 mm2
    Core Voltage 1.6 - 1.8 V
    I/O Voltage 3.3 V
    Typical Power 11 - 25 W (depending on clock speed)
    Maximum Power 16.0 - 37.5 W (depending on clock
    speed)
    Howard, Nov 8, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Howard

    cowboyz Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My father thought he bought a Compaq Deskpro 1Ghz CPU, but complained
    > to me that it didn't appear much faster that what he was used to. The
    > CPU identifes as 1G on boot and in AIDA32 (Aida Report below) but on
    > WinXP System Properties is reports as only 501Mhz.
    >
    > So which is it? If it really is a 1Ghz cpu, does the system properties
    > mis-reporting indicate something is misconfigured and more speed could
    > be obtained by proper tweaking?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Howard
    >
    > CPU Properties:
    > CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 1000 MHz (7.5 x
    > 133)
    > CPU Alias Coppermine, CuMine, A80526
    > CPU Stepping cD0
    > Original Clock 1000 MHz
    > L1 Code Cache 16 KB
    > L1 Data Cache 16 KB
    > L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)
    >
    > CPU Physical Info:
    > Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
    > Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
    > Transistors 28.1 million
    > Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
    > Die Size 95 mm2
    > Core Voltage 1.6 - 1.8 V
    > I/O Voltage 3.3 V
    > Typical Power 11 - 25 W (depending on clock speed)
    > Maximum Power 16.0 - 37.5 W (depending on clock
    > speed)



    The 1000Mhz is it's Intel rated speed.

    The 501Mhz is its AMD equivalent speed.
    cowboyz, Nov 8, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Howard

    Lost Guest

    > The 1000Mhz is it's Intel rated speed.
    >
    > The 501Mhz is its AMD equivalent speed.


    Ignore the (albeit rather humourous & somewhat truthful) troll :)

    ---
    The most likely problem is that the front side bus is running at 66MHz. This
    CPU wants a front side bus of 133MHz. With a 7.5x multiplier on a 66MHz
    front side bus, the CPU is probably going to run at 500MHz (50% of the speed
    it would run at on a 133MHz FSB).
    Unless you've got one of the earliest P2 motherboards, there should be a
    jumper to increase the motherboard's front side bus speed. However, you will
    only be able to run it as fast as the RAM is rated to run at, or else it
    will burn it up in seconds. The first thing to do is to figure out what the
    fastest FSB speed the motherboard supports, and the fastest speed the
    installed RAM will run at.

    Ask if you've got any further questions :)
    Lost, Nov 8, 2003
    #3
  4. Howard

    steve Guest

    Howard allegedly said:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My father thought he bought a Compaq Deskpro 1Ghz CPU, but complained
    > to me that it didn't appear much faster that what he was used to. The
    > CPU identifes as 1G on boot and in AIDA32 (Aida Report below) but on
    > WinXP System Properties is reports as only 501Mhz.
    >
    > So which is it? If it really is a 1Ghz cpu, does the system properties
    > mis-reporting indicate something is misconfigured and more speed could
    > be obtained by proper tweaking?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.


    Sometimes......if one of my ASUS mobos thinks the system config has changed,
    it will throw the BIOS up on boot...and have the CPU running at half speed.

    If i do not manually restore the CPU speed to full throttle, I imagine it
    would remain at half speed thereafter.

    Maybe this offers a clue?

    I'm not familiar with Compaq systems. I've never bought a name brand PC
    since I got my IBM PC XT (2nd hand) in 1988.

    I've always built them myself.

    --
    defenestrate: The act of throwing Windows out the window and replacing it on
    your PC with some other operating system.
    steve, Nov 8, 2003
    #4
  5. Howard

    T.N.O. Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > So which is it? If it really is a 1Ghz cpu, does the system properties
    > mis-reporting indicate something is misconfigured and more speed could
    > be obtained by proper tweaking?


    Is this a laptop CPU? I only ask as two things in your post suggest this.

    Typical Power 11 - 25 W (depending on clock speed)
    Maximum Power 16.0 - 37.5 W (depending on clock speed)
    T.N.O., Nov 8, 2003
    #5
  6. Howard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Howard wrote:
    >> So which is it? If it really is a 1Ghz cpu, does the system
    >> properties mis-reporting indicate something is misconfigured and
    >> more speed could be obtained by proper tweaking?

    >
    > Is this a laptop CPU? I only ask as two things in your post suggest
    > this.
    >
    > Typical Power 11 - 25 W (depending on clock speed)
    > Maximum Power 16.0 - 37.5 W (depending on clock speed)


    I've read elsewhere that laptop CPUs using 'speedstep' technology and
    whatever AMDs version of it is get identified by a lot of utils at their
    lowest speed stepping. You could be on to something there Dave.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 9, 2003
    #6
  7. Howard

    T.N.O. Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >>Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>>So which is it? If it really is a 1Ghz cpu, does the system
    >>>properties mis-reporting indicate something is misconfigured and
    >>>more speed could be obtained by proper tweaking?

    >>
    >>Is this a laptop CPU? I only ask as two things in your post suggest
    >>this.
    >>
    >>Typical Power 11 - 25 W (depending on clock speed)
    >>Maximum Power 16.0 - 37.5 W (depending on clock speed)

    >
    >
    > I've read elsewhere that laptop CPUs using 'speedstep' technology and
    > whatever AMDs version of it is get identified by a lot of utils at their
    > lowest speed stepping. You could be on to something there Dave.


    I just wondered because it says "depending on clock speed" which desktop
    CPUs(AFAIK) dont do... well at least not at that lower wattage.
    T.N.O., Nov 9, 2003
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dmitriy

    My 2400 Sempron stuck at 1ghz. Plz help

    Dmitriy, Feb 23, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    440
    Dmitriy
    Feb 24, 2005
  2. PowerPost2000
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    596
    Toolman Tim
    Jun 5, 2005
  3. Randy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    369
    Randy
    Jan 2, 2006
  4. asdf
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    303
    Mainlander
    Sep 28, 2003
  5. Bruce Flyger

    WTD: Intel P3 1Ghz cpu

    Bruce Flyger, Oct 28, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    573
Loading...

Share This Page