    Fred B. Guest

    Will skylight filters effect the color of digital cameras? Or effect the
    auto white balance? Or should I stick to UV?

    Fred B., Aug 18, 2004

  2. In article <MBSUc.626$>, Fred B.
    <> wrote:

    > Will skylight filters effect the color of digital cameras? Or effect the
    > auto white balance? Or should I stick to UV?

    Uh...none of the above?

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Fred B.

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Hunt <> wrote:

    > In article <cg0ui2$>, says...
    > >
    > >Probably won't affect the colour or white balance... but check the
    > >filter information - some skylights cost you 1 or 2 stops of light.
    > >Regards,
    > >Julian
    > >www.shuttertalk.com

    > Nikon multi-coated 1B is -1/3/f, so it is not really an issue, re: ND effect.
    > With digital capture, however, I'd question why one might use a filter in the
    > skylight category v UV, as the color balance is easily adjustable. Now, if one
    > has high quality skylights of the right size, then there should be little
    > difference.

    I usually stick a 1a onto a lens just to protect it. It's cheaper to bin
    a filter than replace a lens.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

    Andy Hewitt, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Fred B.

    Hunt Guest

    In article <1girke8.rv0w7j17nald7N%>, hairy.
    says...

    >Hunt <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <cg0ui2$>, says...
    >> >
    >> >Probably won't affect the colour or white balance... but check the
    >> >filter information - some skylights cost you 1 or 2 stops of light.
    >> >Regards,
    >> >Julian
    >> >www.shuttertalk.com

    >> Nikon multi-coated 1B is -1/3/f, so it is not really an issue, re: ND

    effect.
    >> With digital capture, however, I'd question why one might use a filter in

    the
    >> skylight category v UV, as the color balance is easily adjustable. Now, if

    one
    >> has high quality skylights of the right size, then there should be little
    >> difference.

    >I usually stick a 1a onto a lens just to protect it. It's cheaper to bin
    >a filter than replace a lens.
    >
    >--
    >Andy Hewitt

    Andy,

    I agree, provided that it's a quality filter. If I were shooting digital and
    needed either a 52mm, or 62mm thread filter for protection, I'd just probably
    grab one of my old Nikon Multi-coated 1b's, and not worry about the color,
    because I'd bring the RAW into PS anyway. I think I may still have the UV's,
    but only in 52mm, and, as I recall, though Nikon, were not multi-coated. Faced
    with buying one today, I'd probably opt for a good UV, and not worry about any
    warming effect, though I believe that the UV-cutoff was a bit better with 1a &
    1b over straight UV. Agian, with everything going through PS, I'd go with the
    clearest glass I could find of the highest quality.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Fred B.

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Hunt <> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>
    > I agree, provided that it's a quality filter. If I were shooting digital and
    > needed either a 52mm, or 62mm thread filter for protection, I'd just probably
    > grab one of my old Nikon Multi-coated 1b's, and not worry about the color,
    > because I'd bring the RAW into PS anyway. I think I may still have the UV's,
    > but only in 52mm, and, as I recall, though Nikon, were not multi-coated. Faced
    > with buying one today, I'd probably opt for a good UV, and not worry about any
    > warming effect, though I believe that the UV-cutoff was a bit better with 1a &
    > 1b over straight UV. Agian, with everything going through PS, I'd go with the
    > clearest glass I could find of the highest quality.

    Agreed, my old Olypus lenses have Hoya filters on them. I've not managed
    to attach one to my digitals though, as they are compacts and don't have
    filter threads.

    I did used to take my camera to some places that would increase the risk
    of damage to the lens - such as the Snowdonian mountains.

    Andy Hewitt, Aug 20, 2004