    this was just part of a centuries-long pattern where every new advance in
    communication technology was supposed to destroy our differences and bring
    Peace On Earth.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Nice look back
    > <http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/when-the-internet-was-utopia.ars>
    > to John Perry Barlow’s “Declaration of Independence of Cyberspaceâ€, and how
    > this was just part of a centuries-long pattern where every new advance in
    > communication technology was supposed to destroy our differences and bring
    > Peace On Earth.

    Its a work in progress.
    victor, Jan 9, 2010

  3. Anybody else remember .shar files? Something else you don’t see these days.

    Aah, the horse-drawn days of software distribution ...

    --
    Lawrence “And I Had To Walk Every Day, Uphill, Both Ways†D’Oliveiro
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2010
  4. On 10 Jan, 18:42, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Anybody else remember .shar files? Something else you don’t see these days.

    I don't remember them as such (I wasn't using computers when they were
    around) but I have encountered them before. I was trying to build
    compress-4.0 (Thu Aug 1 11:51:23 1985) a while back which was
    distributed in sell archives (ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/usenet/ftp.uu.net/
    comp.sources.unix/volume2/compress4.0/).

    for that matter, .Z files are another thing you don't really see these

    David Goodwin, Jan 11, 2010